PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick heads up................................

Disneybumble
21-07-2009, 06:53 AM
Following on from Maireads thread about starting making her christmas cards.
I think today is the day that all us "serious" cooks put our sprouts on for Christmas.
Always best to do before the end of July.:thumbsup:

Dawn
21-07-2009, 06:54 AM
:mental:

My plants don't have sprouts on yet. Should I buy some as a back up just in case? :unsure:

Disneybumble
21-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Better to be safe than eating hard sprouts this christmas. Or i could put some extra on for you now and post them , a little bit of rough handling by the postie will make no difference.

mumof2
21-07-2009, 07:07 AM
ohmegosh you're right! Phew - thanks for the reminder Mrs B, there could have been a huge disaster on Christmas Day......

Dizneyblonde
21-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Will they be ok to leave cooking while we are away or shall I just book now to to out die Christmas dinner?

Disneybumble
21-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Put them on now Teresa, low simmer you'll be grand.

Deb
21-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't eat sprouts :blech: But thanks for the remnider Mrs Bumble. If I get the turkey out now it may just have defrosted by Christmas Day :thumbsup:

daveann
21-07-2009, 08:50 AM
will mine be ok if i put them on and leave them on low while we are on holiday?

Tink
21-07-2009, 09:37 AM
but, but, but... I thought this is when you started your Christmas cakes!:redface:

Speaking of cakes in the UK manner... the wedding that we had to attend...the parents of the bride are British. The mother made a traditional fruitcake for a nephew's birthday (that coincided with the wedding time...).

Ya'll really make little kids eat that stuff on their birthdays? :unsure:

mumof2
21-07-2009, 09:44 AM
LOL no Tink, we don't!

birthday cakes are usually sponge cakes :yes:

Deb
21-07-2009, 09:45 AM
but, but, but... I thought this is when you started your Christmas cakes!:redface:

Speaking of cakes in the UK manner... the wedding that we had to attend...the parents of the bride are British. The mother made a traditional fruitcake for a nephew's birthday (that coincided with the wedding time...).

Ya'll really make little kids eat that stuff on their birthdays? :unsure:

Yep :yes: Or at least we used to, maybe not so much now, maybe people make sponges instead for kids. It is still my favourite cake though, yum! And you're right Tink, it is nearly time to make our Christmas cakes! Another couple of weeks and my Mother will be getting everything in to make hers and mine :D

Tink
21-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Well maybe the ones you make are ummm...less errrrmmmm...perhaps more tender and ummmmm...less strong? :unsure: I surely couldn't see a little kid eating this cake. :( I'm not a huge sweets person, but did have a taste. That'll do, thanks. :sorry: Very dark, very dry and VERY strong flavored... could have used some rum though. :D :D

Deb
21-07-2009, 10:04 AM
The ones my Mother makes are quite dark (we use black treacle) but not overly so, very full flavoured, but certainly not dry! They get "fed" with brandy and/or rum every couple of days for about 3 months on the lead up to the occasion. Come to think of it that's a lot of alcohol, and especially for a kid :lol: They do taste delicious.

If you want to be really traditional here in the North East of England or Yorkshire you eat it accompanied by a good piece of cheese, something crumbly preferably, like Wensleydale. You like that part of it Tink? :D

piglet
21-07-2009, 10:51 AM
The ones my Mother makes are quite dark (we use black treacle) but not overly so, very full flavoured, but certainly not dry! They get "fed" with brandy and/or rum every couple of days for about 3 months on the lead up to the occasion. Come to think of it that's a lot of alcohol, and especially for a kid :lol: They do taste delicious.

If you want to be really traditional here in the North East of England or Yorkshire you eat it accompanied by a good piece of cheese, something crumbly preferably, like Wensleydale. You like that part of it Tink? :D

Are we still talking about sprouts :laugh2::laugh2:

Disneybumble
21-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Fruit cake is NASTY.
Now back to the sprouts if on after July 31st l am sorry to say they may still be a bit hard.

arkvilla
21-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Deb, I'll have a slice of that when it's ready :yes: Sounds gorgeous

Sandra

Claire
21-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I'll not be worrying about sprouts this year. Five of these (http://www.birdseye.co.uk/fresh-frozen-food/product/roast-turkey-dinner/) in the freezer and I'm sorted!

:unsure: What??

Tink
21-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Deb, your version sounds much nicer. :yes: I'll have the cheese too please. :yes:

I love sprouts! :yes: I blanche them for about three minutes then simmer them in butter until they are all golden and soft and caramelized and tasty! :D :yes:

arkvilla
22-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Deb, your version sounds much nicer. :yes: I'll have the cheese too please. :yes:

I love sprouts! :yes: I blanche them for about three minutes then simmer them in butter until they are all golden and soft and caramelized and tasty! :D :yes:

I roast them in sunflower oil and then 10 mins from end add honey and pine nuts - yummy

Tinkfan
22-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Well maybe the ones you make are ummm...less errrrmmmm...perhaps more tender and ummmmm...less strong? :unsure: I surely couldn't see a little kid eating this cake. :( I'm not a huge sweets person, but did have a taste. That'll do, thanks. :sorry: Very dark, very dry and VERY strong flavored... could have used some rum though. :D :D

:jawdrop::disgust::disgust::disgust: One way to maintain glucose control, no temptation there!!

Disneybumble
22-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I'll not be worrying about sprouts this year. Five of these (http://www.birdseye.co.uk/fresh-frozen-food/product/roast-turkey-dinner/) in the freezer and I'm sorted!

:unsure: What??

Claire has found tut'future.

Dawn
22-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I've decided to buy sprouts this year and the ones I am growing can be used for next year as I'll be able to start cooking them on New Year's Day. :D

Disneybumble
22-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I've decided to buy sprouts this year and the ones I am growing can be used for next year as I'll be able to start cooking them on New Year's Day. :D

:worship:YOU ARE THE BESTEST COOK DAWN., that is a genius idea. I am not worthy of such greatness and knowledge .

Claire
22-07-2009, 06:26 PM
The earlier you get them on the more time you have on Christmas Day to sit and drink Snowballs and eat dates. :yes:

Dawn
22-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Don't forget the orange and lemon slices.

Disneybumble
22-07-2009, 08:02 PM
or a matchmaker.

Claire
22-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Is this before or after the Queen's speech?

Disneybumble
22-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Is this before or after the Queen's speech?

Well if we put our ready meals in at 2.50pm, i would hope to have eaten roast dinner,orange and lemon slice, a date and a couple of mint matchmakers by the time she has finished.
We can of course tidy up these times at the end of Sept.

lisaw
22-07-2009, 09:46 PM
We have an oven on order at the moment and I was worrying about how we were going to cope on Christmas Day as it doesn't look like it's going to arrive any time soon :rolleyes: - Claire you are a genius, I can worry no more - microwave christmas dinner! I trust they come on disposable plates so I don't have to wash up either?

Claire
22-07-2009, 09:55 PM
We have an oven on order at the moment and I was worrying about how we were going to cope on Christmas Day as it doesn't look like it's going to arrive any time soon :rolleyes: - Claire you are a genius, I can worry no more - microwave christmas dinner! I trust they come on disposable plates so I don't have to wash up either?

And if you buy plastic knives and forks you're sorted! In fact, I think the whole meal is disposable. :yes: :D