PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

arkvilla
21-07-2009, 08:25 AM
We are of to our villa in 2 weeks and I'm really worried about swine flu as Kyle has 2 friends in his class both off with it

We really need a break as we have had a horrible year and I'm so worried that one of us is going to get it as it seems to be everywhere at the moment.

Just rang Lloyds as we have our travel insurance with our bank account and thankfully we are all covered.

Fingers crossed for us that we all stay well

Sandra

lisaw
21-07-2009, 08:30 AM
:fingers: for you all to stay well - we are in the same position at the moment.

daveann
21-07-2009, 08:49 AM
think everyone is the same at the moment but as our skywatcher says its hyped up by the media, just have the usual medication with you and i am sure you will all be fine :)

arkvilla
21-07-2009, 09:23 AM
I suppose everyone is in a similar situation and I'm probably just more worried because it's Kyle's close friends that have it and he plays with them everyday - but I suppose if you've gonna get it your gonna get it - not much we can do about it.

Sandra

sunsetlakes
21-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Finger crossed for you Sandra. My 17 year old niece has it at the moment and she lives with my parents - so I'm really worried about my Mom & Dad, especially my Dad as he also has COPD and is in his 80's so would be very vulnerable if he were to catch it. Hope you stay well everyone :hug2:

mumof2
21-07-2009, 09:48 AM
:fingers: for you all

Mandy
21-07-2009, 10:01 AM
:fingers: For you all Sandra, we have 7 weeks to go yet but i am worried that one of us will get it. It will be about it for us with the year we have had so far. :(

Dizneyblonde
21-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Same position here too and have just emailed insurance company to clarify our position with regards to being covered.

Went to bed last night with a headache and aches but thankfully am ok this morning and have put it down to this awful weather!

mainecoon lover
21-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Same position here too and have just emailed insurance company to clarify our position with regards to being covered.

Went to bed last night with a headache and aches but thankfully am ok this morning and have put it down to this awful weather!

I have had a headache for the last two days, i think its the weather. I hope everyone stays well.

Dizneyblonde
21-07-2009, 11:39 AM
It's really taking the edge off the excitement of the usual holiday build up :(

Luckily we have Chitty Chitty Bang Bang tomorrow,Pizza Hut and Harry Potter on Thursday for Jack's 13th birthday (where did that time go?) then we are off to London and the museums for the day on Saturday so have lots to look forward to and take our minds off it!

Debbie2
21-07-2009, 12:27 PM
It's worrying me a lot too. You plan every detail but this could scupper everything. Must ring insurance to check covered just in case.

Heard on TV this morning that considering not re-opening schools in September for a month and that the number of cases is going to double week on week. We don't go till mid September so probability increases each week. As DS falls into high risk category its just another thing to lose sleep over.

After the rotten year we have had so far I won't believe we are going till that plane takes off - with us on it!

sunsetlakes
21-07-2009, 12:30 PM
It's worrying me a lot too. You plan every detail but this could scupper everything. Must ring insurance to check covered just in case.

Heard on TV this morning that considering not re-opening schools in September for a month and that the number of cases is going to double week on week. We don't go till mid September so probability increases each week. As DS falls into high risk category its just another thing to lose sleep over.

After the rotten year we have had so far I won't believe we are going till that plane takes off - with us on it!

Awww Debbie, sending you loads of love and wishes for your DS and we'll keep everything crossed for you that you stay virus free and that you will be on that plane in September :hug2:

Dizneyblonde
21-07-2009, 12:41 PM
That is what people don't understand when i say how worried i am.

They just say it doesn't matter because you just recover and go later.
I have put 2 years of planning and saving into this holiday and we are doing something every day that has been booked and paid for which we wouldn't get money back for if the insurance company didn't pay out.
I wouldn't be able to fit in 3 weeks at any other time of the year due to the school holidays either so we have an awful lot to lose and at the moment sleep is the main one!

keith
21-07-2009, 01:08 PM
:hug2: It's crazy right now, media hype everywhere which means politicians do and say crazy things as well.

I just had an email from our data centre where we have our servers saying they'll be on the look out for symptoms and won't let people in if they look like they have swine flu. Hmmmmmm strange that they haven't bothered saying anything similar all the other years when normal flu was everywhere!

I'm not worried about getting it, if I do then I do, chances are that it won't be serious anyway but I AM worried about silly jobsworths messing me around at the airport if I dare to cough a couple of times too many or whatever sigh.

tb2830
21-07-2009, 01:42 PM
when i went to my staff meeting last night my boss asked if any of us wanted time off but did reassure us that as soon as the injections become available we would be some of the first to be done.

with everything that has gone on for me this year you can bet i'll come down with it :yes:

im not sure how i feel about the schools closing for another month .... who do they think will look after my kids while i have to work

Dizneyblonde
21-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I doubt very much if they will kep the schools closed Tracy for exactly that reason.

Also for those like Robyn going into their exam year it would be a nightmare as they would be at such a disadvantage with losing so much learnin and revision time.

Karen
21-07-2009, 02:52 PM
We're all ill here with flu at the moment. Dont know if its swine flu or regular flu but DRs dont seem too bothered. Just been told to keep an eye on things and as long as we are not getting worse just keep self medicating. In a way I hope it is swine flu, at least it would be out the way then.

arkvilla
21-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Doctor told my friend it's better to get it now rather than the winter... I just down want it right on top of our long awaited holiday...

Sandra

sunsetlakes
21-07-2009, 03:06 PM
We're all ill here with flu at the moment. Dont know if its swine flu or regular flu but DRs dont seem too bothered. Just been told to keep an eye on things and as long as we are not getting worse just keep self medicating. In a way I hope it is swine flu, at least it would be out the way then.

Hope you are all feelling better soon Karen. I agree getting it out of the way now seems a good option, but if its going to be as rife as the stats suggest then come October with all the media hype we won't dare to sniff when we get to the airport, whether its flu, allergies or any other reason. It all seems like media hysteria at the moment.

Mari
21-07-2009, 09:52 PM
:hug2:

Fingers crossed for you guys!!

Mari
21-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Well.... being in Mexico... we saw what the media can cause!

However, some of the measures here were:

School suspended- from daycare to university level
All cultural events cancelled
All shopping malls closed
All restaurants closed, they could only work as take out
Many businesses closed and/or allowed to work from home
No one with a cold was allowed into office buildings
Sanitizers were put everywhere
Face masks were handed out at public transportation stations, bus stops, etc..
Taxi drivers HAD to wear masks and gloves

When children returned to school they had to pass a medical exam DAILY: no sneezing, coughing, fever, etc... they had to put hand sanitizer and wear face masks..

The measures have gone down significantly, but we all know come winter time, we will probably go back to something similar, but hopefully it wont be as blown out of proportion as it was back in April...

Good luck!!