PDA

View Full Version : What would you all do

mainecoon lover
07-07-2008, 10:28 AM
We have carers come in to help with dd as she is getting bigger now. The first agency we had were hopless but the girls were lovely and trustworthy. I put up with the agency for a year but they were always letting us down at the last minute.
I changed agencies and have had them for a couple of weeks now. We have problems already. The girl that comes here said she was leaving September to go on to college (good on her) but i did not want to get medical staff to train someone just for 2 months. I would not be able to leave them unless they are trained as dd seizures are really bad. I spoke to the agency and they said they would not put someone in here that was leaving soon, although they dropped themslfs in it. As she said we knew she did not get on the course two days earlier and she phoned that day to let them know. Double dutch to me or they were lying. I told her it did not make sense and then she said oh we did have someone lined up to replace her. The carer then said that evening that she did not get on the course because of her police record :sigh;. Whilst i do not think it was any harm to anyone i need to trust her, and i agree everyone needs a second chance. She is working with my dd though which is a worry. Her age has changed 3 time since she started here. I also hear whats going on with other families.
So the question is do i swallow my pride and go back to the other agency for the bettergirls or do i stick this agency out.

Tink
07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I've only had experience with caregivers in the senior needs setting Mainecoon Lover, but I must say, not having a background (criminal) clearance on someone who is coming into my home and touching my child would not work for me. :( We require all persons who are going to be in the home of a senior (or senior living setting) to clear a first level background screen, and some must clear second level (FBI clearance).

Is there the only two agencies?

I would say go with the people you think are going to be the most trustworthy and do the best job for your daughter. :yes:

It's a very difficult decision. :hug1:

mainecoon lover
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks Tink. They have a police check but i think it would only ring alarm bells if they had caused harm to a person. If she was convicted since in the job then it would not stop her doing the job as they only do checks when they first apply for the job.

There are more agencies but few for under 18.

Dawn
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm suspicious of the new place just by what you tell me. I had to have a criminal records check just to go in as a volunteer and read with children at Steven's school. And there's no way my age keeps changing. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Dawn
07-07-2008, 10:42 AM
But then she may have a conviction for a driving offence. :shrug:

I think you have to go with your gut instinct as to what is best for your daughter.

Tink
07-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Here, they must have background checks periodically for just that very reason.

Yep, changing ages would definitely put me off. Way off. :yes:

mainecoon lover
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
But then she may have a conviction for a driving offence. :shrug:

I think you have to go with your gut instinct as to what is best for your daughter.

It was handling stolen goods. She said she did not know. FIL is ex police and he said they must have had a lot of evidence to convict her.

Tink
07-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Eeeeesh. Not a good sign. I too believe everyone deserves a second, sometimes third (or more!) chance. Just not when it comes to providing care to a senior, disabled person, or child. :( Sorry, just too much of a chance to take.

It's not so much the stealing, as it is why she was involved with the stealing, and the people she may still be involved with. :(

mainecoon lover
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Eeeeesh. Not a good sign. I too believe everyone deserves a second, sometimes third (or more!) chance. Just not when it comes to providing care to a senior, disabled person, or child. :( Sorry, just too much of a chance to take.

It's not so much the stealing, as it is why she was involved with the stealing, and the people she may still be involved with. :(

My thoughts exactly. Think its time to swallow my pride and go and have a chat with the other agency

Dawn
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I'd be concerned about that then. Someone coming into my house after being involved with thieves. Second chances yeah, but there has to be lines drawn somewhere.

karrie
07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I used to do home support to children when i worked with the childrens hospice, i know just from working with these families what a major thing it is for then to trust you before they can even think of leaving their child with you. I think you have to be honest with yourself, if you did leave Beth with this lass would you be able to relax and enjoy the little bit of 'time off' that you would have or would you be worried? If you arent going to be able to relax then is there any point? Im sure beth would pick up on your anxieties as well.

Not an easy decision so sending you a few (((hugs))) to

mainecoon lover
07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks all. Well i have spoken to the agency and said although the young girl comes across friendly enough i am not entirly happy. They said they know about her conviction and have had long chats with her over it.They are happy enough for her to work in people's homes. They said they will see if there is anyone else that can work here and they would get back to me.
I hated doing this but i am afraid it had to be done. So now i will need to lose my pride and speak to the old agency.

Britchick
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
i'm sorry but if they refused her getting into college with the criminal record she should NOT be working in a caring role.

Have you thought about direct payments and setting up your own group of personal assistants for your daughter?

SleepinCatz
07-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I think you are right to go back to the other agency hun...I don't like the sounds of that new place at all.

mainecoon lover
07-07-2008, 06:39 PM
i'm sorry but if they refused her getting into college with the criminal record she should NOT be working in a caring role.

Have you thought about direct payments and setting up your own group of personal assistants for your daughter?

We are getting direct payments and will soon be getting ILF as well.

I think you are right to go back to the other agency hun...I don't like the sounds of that new place at all.

I feel relief already. The agency are rubbish but the girls are really good and i trust them 100%. At the end of the day we only talk to the agency by phone or email so i can put up with them to know i have trustworthy girls here.