PDA

View Full Version : How`s this for customer service?

Slowhand
15-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Just after our DCL cruise a few weeks ago I noticed that the baggage handlers had broken of the wheels on my Samsonite case. [As some of you know, we had to cut our vacation short and we were in one heck of a rush hence we didn`t report the damage at Port Canaveral....not even sure if there is such a thing at the port anyhow!]

Over the years I have become "attached" to my case as it has been with me on many business trips Worldwide....in fact it has done more miles than me as it has been re-routed to other countries on occasion while I was in transit! :lol:

Last week I sent an email to Samsonite to ask how I could get a replacement wheel. Later that day I received a reply telling me to take a note of the coded number inside the case and giving me the contact information in Belgium, so I fired off an email to their spares dept. as instructed.
The following day I had a reply asking me for my full address as they would be sending me a replacement within a week...free of charge.

Today, not one, but two wheels arrived c/w their fixing brackets and even the screws to fit them to the case.

Not bad service eh? Full marks to Samsonite...if only all companies were as gracious.

Claire
15-08-2009, 03:19 PM
It's that kind of service that makes me seriously consider the brand when I'm in the market for a new case. :yes: Fantastic for you Terry! :thumbs-up:

keith
15-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow that's really good! top marks Samsonite!

I stopped using our Samsonite hard cases when they brought in this TSA check stuff because I couldn't find a good way to lock them but yet allow them easy access. What do you do with yours??

Slowhand
15-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I stopped using our Samsonite hard cases when they brought in this TSA check stuff because I couldn't find a good way to lock them but yet allow them easy access. What do you do with yours??
Basically all I do Keith is to leave them unlocked [in anticipation that the hinged fixings on the sides of the case will prevent the lid from bursting open], and then use a luggage strap. The straps we use have a lock [of sorts] which only use a plastic key to operate and I`m sure that the authorities would have a similar key rather than cutting through the strap as they are fairly common. :fingers:

keith
15-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Terry!

I weighed the cheap cases we replaced the samsonites with and was surprised to find that weighed MORE than the hard cases and of course offer a lot less protection :/ so I'd really like to swap back if I can

Slowhand
15-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I weighed the cheap cases we replaced the samsonites with and was surprised to find that weighed MORE than the hard cases and of course offer a lot less protection :/ so I'd really like to swap back if I can
I remember seeing a tv programme a while ago where they were putting various types of suitcase through a "drop" test, and the hard rigid cases [Samsonite, Delsey etc.] came out on top for durability. :thumbsup:

foreverducky
15-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Good to know that Good news travels just as well as bad.

keith
15-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I remember seeing a tv programme a while ago where they were putting various types of suitcase through a "drop" test, and the hard rigid cases [Samsonite, Delsey etc.] came out on top for durability. :thumbsup:

:yes: me too

We've had several "soft" cases ripped on the conveyers. The samsonites used to come back with scratches and gouges which I can imagine would have caused a real rip in the softer ones.

I think the way to go is as you suggest, unlocked but with a TSA approved luggage belt round them :yes:

josh.p.
15-08-2009, 11:54 PM
My dad has a hard samsonite case, and I have a soft case that I got from woolies. Believe it or not, my soft case lasted longer than his samsonite one!! It is still going strong, and isn't from a particularly good brand either.

Tink
16-08-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm using a Tumi case right now. I purchased it about a year ago (when I took this position) as I knew I'd be traveling quite a bit. So far so good. It's gouged and worn looking, but it's held up.

It's an American company, and the salesman did a good pitch. :lol: We'll see if it lasts as long as he claimed it would.

I've been looking at hard sided cases though. I think they do offer much more protection...

Samsonite has long been a brand with an excellent reputation. Nice to know that they stand behind their products!

Mari
18-08-2009, 06:45 PM
thats AMAZING costumer service!!

Taja
23-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Very nice, Terry!

Leu's large Samsonite (soft-sided) case lost a wheel during out October 2006 WDW visit. She had to pay $6 and take to a local Sansonite repair shop. She didn't contact the company directly--just took it in on her own. They did the complete repair in the shop while she waited. :thumbsup:

Mandy
23-08-2009, 04:56 AM
That's great news, like you said it's a pity more companies are not like that.