PDA

View Full Version : Took the kids shopping...

Vixynne
17-08-2009, 04:32 AM
...and came home with a pile of candy from the UK! We were at a grocery store that we don't usually frequent, but our usual one was closed; this one had a whole aisle of foods from Brazil, Thailand and (woot!) Great Britain!

My kids chose Smarties and a big chunky KitKat (we have KitKats in the US but this one was long and tall instead of wide and flat, LOL), and I grabbed a Galaxy bar and a package of Malteasers (which were the first to be gobbled down by all three of us once we got home).
Oh! And a container of chocolate Hobnobs, just because I've always wanted to try them. :drool2:

I think the cashier must have thought we were diabetics on a bender...

My DD said "Oh, this is awesome, we can get English chocolates without going all the way to Epcot!" :lol:

kazzaqld
17-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Yum! you don't have Maltesers in America? :unsure:

Love the diabetics on a bender line! :point:

Jodie
17-08-2009, 12:07 PM
What! No Maltesers in the US!!!???

Chocolate HobNobs rock, at least according to my diabetic husband :unsure:

I guess you'll be headed back to this shop sometime soon!

foreverducky
17-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Yummy!!!

Vixynne
18-08-2009, 03:12 AM
We have malted milk balls---the ones I see most often are called Whoppers (http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/whoppers.asp). Malteasers were very similar (and delicious)! My son opened his Smarties today, and we were all surprised to see that they were almost like M-n-M's rather than the candy we have called "Smarties" (http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-58653162205018_2061_5359593) in the US (which is more like a candy tablet that is quite tart, with no sugary shell surrounding it).

Can anyone "across the pond" in the UK tell us Yanks what other British candies are lip-smackingly good?

Isafari
18-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Can anyone "across the pond" in the UK tell us Yanks what other British candies are lip-smackingly good?

Galaxy chocolate bars are lovely....nice and creamy.
You know, in the past, I've bought Cadbury's chocolate (I think it was a caramel bar) and it didn't taste like the Cadbury's we get in the UK!

Jodie
18-08-2009, 01:06 PM
You know, in the past, I've bought Cadbury's chocolate (I think it was a caramel bar) and it didn't taste like the Cadbury's we get in the UK!

If it's made 'under license' in the US or Canada then it is still different, only the imported stuff is genuine.

Jodie
18-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Lots! But my minds gone blank....

Gavin adores Picnic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Picnic) bars

Isafari
18-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Minstrels are good, crunchie, ripple, rolos.

Britchick
18-08-2009, 04:43 PM
when i visit my friends in Charleston i have to take cadburys caramel, terrys chocolate orange and chocolate digestives

Isafari
18-08-2009, 04:45 PM
when i visit my friends in Charleston i have to take cadburys caramel, terrys chocolate orange and chocolate digestives

When we go to Florida, we have to take friends Aeros...big bars of Aero, all flavours!

Britchick
18-08-2009, 04:49 PM
they're best when in the fridge

Kate
18-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I love cadburys Boosts and Galaxy Caramel - making my mouth water just thinking about them!

I didnt like the cadburys that we had when we went to epcot, didnt taste anything like what we have here, im sure somebody said it was made by Hersheys but i might be completely wrong!!