PDA

View Full Version : Just baked my first ever...

Isafari
17-08-2009, 06:37 PM
...apple and cinnamon pie. (I do bake and cook....just never sweet, always savoury)
Well, I went out into the back garden to put some rubbish in the bin and noticed we had way too may apples on the tree. Normally we get the local kids to come and take the apples home for their mums to make pies, and we did this year too but still loads left. The tree has eating and cooking apples on it.

I picked half and half so that the pie wouldn't be too tart. Added sugar to them too....and a little icing sugar in the pastry.

Well, what can I say, my pie was absolutely .....awful! :lol: It looked amazing but, the faces I had to pull before I swallowed a mouhtfull was just hysterical. DH sat and ate his (bless, my hero)....all of it....the extra large piece....then told me that it could have done with more sugar. :lol:

Rosie0610
17-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh! All that work!
I'm glad your DH appreciated it!

Isafari
17-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm glad your DH appreciated it!

I don't think he did Rosie....he was just trying to be kind :lol:
In fact, he's now saying that he thinks the apple tree should go because he has plans for that section of the garden.....probably gonna bury me there if I make any more apple pies!!!:unsure:

Disneybumble
17-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't think he did Rosie....he was just trying to be kind :lol:
In fact, he's now saying that he thinks the apple tree should go because he has plans for that section of the garden.....probably gonna bury me there if I make any more apple pies!!!:unsure:

:ROFL: I can picture you now. That real sour face look.

Mari
17-08-2009, 07:06 PM
I love apple cinnamon pie!

Sorry yours wasnt delicious.. but it was your first try Diane!

foreverducky
17-08-2009, 07:10 PM
What a trooper! At least he did his husbandly duty and ate it.

Isafari
17-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Sorry yours wasnt delicious.. but it was your first try Diane!

and probably my last! My face is twitching from the memory!

Isafari
17-08-2009, 07:12 PM
What a trooper! At least he did his husbandly duty and ate it.

He did, and there's loads left :ROFL:

foreverducky
17-08-2009, 07:16 PM
You could see how much he really loves you and ask him to give it another try. :evil: :lol:

tb2830
17-08-2009, 07:28 PM
He did, and there's loads left :ROFL:

hope you dont get offended when i say please diane dont send me any of your apple pies :donald:

premier travel
17-08-2009, 07:36 PM
What went wrong with it? Was it too much cinnamon? I love the smell of them but not too sure of the cinnamon. Perhaps someone could tell us what went wrong

Tinkfan
17-08-2009, 08:49 PM
i bake all the time and if I do say so my pies are usually great. Umm, isn't it a little early to pick apples off the tree? I know we couldn't use them this early here to eat.

Isafari
18-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Umm, isn't it a little early to pick apples off the tree?.

It's actually quite late. We pick ours when the stem starts to go from green to brown and they aren't been fed from the tree anymore. Also, when they come off the branch with just a litttle tug.

What went wrong with it? Was it too much cinnamon? I love the smell of them but not too sure of the cinnamon. Perhaps someone could tell us what went wrong

Well, DH has been eating the eating apples for a while now and they are fine but the cooking apples must be very sour....plus, it was my first attempt so I probably didn't put enough sugar in.

Ursula
18-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Lol.... aw bless X

Mandy
18-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Well at least you gave it a try. You will know for next time you make it. :hug2:

Isafari
18-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Well at least you gave it a try. You will know for next time you make it. :hug2:

Next time? You are a comedian :lol:

Tink
18-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I absolutely love tart apple pie. I'm sure I would have devoured your's Issy! :yes: Ages ago when I was a kid, we visited friends of my parents. The woman had made an apple pie but wouldn't serve it as she realized that she had left out the sugar. I told her I liked sour things so she gave me a slice. It was the BEST ever! :yes: :lol: Needless to say, I was given the whole pie to bring home.

Just give it a go again, and add twice the sugar you did this time. Pies are a "learn as you go" thing. All depends upon the fruit at any given time. One year you'll need more sugar and the next year you may need less... taste the apples first and guage from there. :yes:

You could serve the leftover tart pie with a brandy or caramel sauce to sweeten it up. :yes:

And give it another go!!! Never let the pie forget who is boss! :D

Ursula
18-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I know this is a hijack and sorry... but it does involve an apple pie... or so I thought... went into the freezer and got one of my home made apple pies out cooked it and served it piping hot with custard... then tried it.... too late.. I had infact taken out a cheese pie that I'd also made and cooked that instead. And nope I didn't label them because of course I'm not some numpty who can't tell the difference and where I put my pies in the freezer :(

Isafari
19-08-2009, 06:18 AM
I know this is a hijack and sorry... but it does involve an apple pie... or so I thought... went into the freezer and got one of my home made apple pies out cooked it and served it piping hot with custard... then tried it.... too late.. I had infact taken out a cheese pie that I'd also made and cooked that instead. And nope I didn't label them because of course I'm not some numpty who can't tell the difference and where I put my pies in the freezer :(

:point:
Still, probably tasted better than my apple pie :lol:

Wendy
19-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Give it another go :yes: but use more sugar with the cooking apples. It's trial and error with cooking apples, we like ours to be a bit sour but not too much. I always add blackberries or cinnamon and sultanas.

Isafari
19-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Give it another go :yes: but use more sugar with the cooking apples. It's trial and error with cooking apples, we like ours to be a bit sour but not too much. I always add blackberries or cinnamon and sultanas.

Sultanas :doh: why didn't I think of that! We have them in the cupboard and I love sultanas in an apple pie!

Wendy
19-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Sultanas :doh: why didn't I think of that! We have them in the cupboard and I love sultanas in an apple pie!

:lol: Well you try again :D