PDA

View Full Version : Haven't gone too far away

Watchinherskip
08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I have been on, think it was right after the trip to Puerto Rico. I have sort of been busy and in a funk. My last master's class was a bear, a really hairy, toothy bear (glad it is finally over), getting ready to close the planetarium and museum for a while (one factor of my funk - it will be good in the long run as we are expanding and renovating for about 18 - 24 months), getting ready for a new position as an Educator in Residence at the National Institute of Aeronautics at NASA's Langley Research Center, and probably most funky, getting our daughter to her university tomorrow:sorry:

Where has all the time gone? I have both excited and dreading this day. I really want her to live the quote

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One is roots; the other, wings." Hodding Carter

I know her roots are strong, I am just hoping her wings won't take her too far away. I am sort of moping around these days, kind of dreading the good bye tomorrow afternoon. I know that I will need to buck up and not let her catch me getting too sappy, it will make her feel bad. Anyhow there are a lot of things going on in my brain, wish it would just slow down if not stop for just a bit.

I guess on a positive note (ok, the other stuff is sort of positive too) with all her college expenses on our Disney Visa card, we will be ready for a visit next year if not a Disney Cruise:yes: !

So my friends if I have been away it wasn't for the lack of friendship here or understanding, just dealing with my head.

Tink
08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

You are NOT saying goodbye... you are simply giving her the space to learn and grow (for which you so well prepared her)! :yes:

Tough stuff though, Da. :hug2: Stay strong.

daveann
08-19-2009, 06:04 PM
:wave: glad your still around :)

foreverducky
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh Dan....sometimes we should not be left alone with our own minds. ;) Think of it this, she could fly half way around the world, but if her roots are strong she will always find her way home again. :hug2:

mumof2
08-19-2009, 07:39 PM
our minds can be waaay too active sometimes Dan :hug2:

Mari
08-19-2009, 08:12 PM
:hug2:

I think you are doing a brilliant job as a father....

best of luck tomorrow

Deb
08-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Dan, every time I read about you and your DD I get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes :hug2:

I wish I'd had a Dad like you :)

Good to see you here :hug2:

Tinker
08-19-2009, 08:53 PM
:hug2: I know what you mean Dan . Patrick was my baby for soooo long , but now that he and Kim had their own baby and he became a black belt and competing in karate . He's become a man! Which is a good thing , but I still miss his childish kidding self . He's so serious now .

Slowhand
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Great to hear from you again Dan. :wave:

Rosie0610
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Love the quote!

Your DD will miss you as much as you will her! (from experience!) Love the positive attitude and good luck with the new job!

Taja
08-23-2009, 12:33 AM
:hug2:

Your DD always will have home in her heart--and, hopefully, visit the real one as frequently as possible! You've prepared her well and I'm sure those wings she is spreading will bring her home to you and your DW regularly. :)