PDA

View Full Version : Good news and Bad news

Wendy
26-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Well I will start with the good news first :D ............................

We have decided that we are going to go away :D

Chris had a few provisos, which I have agreed to :lol:

I've had to change our dates slightly because Chris would only agree to it if we could upgrade to upper class. It has only cost me an extra 60 and miles so it's not bad, we are flying UC for just over 500 :thumbsup: He was really concerned about someone reclining on me, so he is happy about that now.

I have agreed to not insist on spending all day at the parks, I will take a stick with me and take things at a slow pace. If, it is all too much then I have said I will use an ecv, but I think if I am not silly and don't try to walk around say World Showcase in one go :lol: I will be OK :fingers:

Now onto the bad news :sigh:.......

The consultant has said that basically my knee is shot and it needs replacing. He said that because it is so bad, even though I would normally be too young for a replacement, I would be eligible for one :(

He was very good, he explained all the reasons why, if I can, it would be better for me to hold on for as long as I can. He said that when an older person has a replacement it is normally successful and they are happy. When a younger person has a replacement, they are often disappointed because their expectations are greater.

So, I have to have surgery when we get home :( it will be for an arthroscopy so that he can see whether the outside of my knee would support a partial replacement or whether it would be a full replacement. He said that he will also flush the knee through and tidy things up if he can. I have been told not to expect too much from it, hopefully he will be able to ease things slightly, but he said he can't guarantee it.

He wasn't keen on giving me a steroid injection because he said that it can lead to an infection, more than likely wouldn't but if I am desperate then he would be prepared to try one a week before we go away. One thing he did say though, was that if I have the jab, then he wouldn't do the op for 2 - 3 months afterwards. So if I can, I am going to try and avoid having one :fingers:

There you have it, I have lots of things to organise, I've changed the things I can, but I have lots and lots to book.

Hey....................... I'm going on holiday :D :207: :207: :D

lozzy
26-08-2009, 08:07 AM
That is great news about the holiday, I'm sure if you take it easy your be fine. Sorry to hear the not so good news about your knee, fingers crossed everything work out ok for you.:hug2:

Dawn
26-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Yay! :tralala:

and

Poo! :hug2:

Wendy
26-08-2009, 08:19 AM

I just hope Chris doesn't fuss too much, I don't like too much fuss :lol: :lol: I have a good idea how to stop it though, I will just remind him that Becca and Johnie will sort him out when they arrive if he doesn't stop :lol:

Mandy
26-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Great news about your holiday Wendy.
Sorry to hear about your knee. I know what your going through as I have had severe operations on my left knee and it still isn't completely right now. I hope it all works out for you.:hug2:

Isafari
26-08-2009, 08:31 AM
:hug2: well, that was a bag of mixed feelings!!
Happy for you that you are going away but you know me, I'll worry. :hug2:

Will ring you later tonight after I've been to look at wedding dresses. :yes:

Claire
26-08-2009, 09:33 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsdown: and :hug1:

catrancher
26-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Wendy,

Good news! :thumbsup:

Don't worry too much about the knee thing. According to my orthopedic surgeon, my knee's shot also and needs replacing. However, as you're probably aware, that's not stopping me from going to WDW.

In fact, I'll see you at MNSHHP! Dinner's at 6:45 PM. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... and they call it Bella Notte!)

daveann
26-08-2009, 11:29 AM
oh brilliant news about the holiday :) :mental:
sorry about the knee :( i have arthritus in my knee and it is awful so i do know a little of how bad it can be :(

uscwest
26-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Wendy,

Good news! :thumbsup:

Don't worry too much about the knee thing. According to my orthopedic surgeon, my knee's shot also and needs replacing. However, as you're probably aware, that's not stopping me from going to WDW.

In fact, I'll see you at MNSHHP! Dinner's at 6:45 PM. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... and they call it Bella Notte!)Tom, when are you going to be there? What night are you doing MNSSHP? We will be meeting up with Terry, Sue, Wendy and Chris ourselves but we don't get to Orlando until 2 October.

catrancher
26-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Tom, when are you going to be there? What night are you doing MNSSHP? We will be meeting up with Terry, Sue, Wendy and Chris ourselves but we don't get to Orlando until 2 October.

We're going to be there 9/18 through 9/24. We're meeting up with Terry and Sue on the 22nd for MNSSHP. Originally, Wendy and Chris were going to join us but Terry's informed me that they had to change those dates so that's not going to work out like we'd planned. :thumbsdown:

No worries however. At least they're getting to go! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... maybe I scheduled the wrong dates. Seduced by free dining!)

Slowhand
26-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Seduced by free dining!)
Wash your mouth out with soapy water Tom. :lol:

mainecoon lover
26-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Excellent news Wendy. Sorry about having to have a operation. i guess the doctors think its for the best as they are reluctant to do this type of operation on younger people.

uscwest
26-08-2009, 12:09 PM
We're going to be there 9/18 through 9/24. We're meeting up with Terry and Sue on the 22nd for MNSSHP. Originally, Wendy and Chris were going to join us but Terry's informed me that they had to change those dates so that's not going to work out like we'd planned. :thumbsdown:

No worries however. At least they're getting to go! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... maybe I scheduled the wrong dates. Seduced by free dining!)
Sorry we are going to miss you Tom. Maybe another time. But hey, at least we will see Terry and Sue and Wendy and Chris.

Tinkfan
26-08-2009, 01:30 PM
:wave:Hurrah for the trip, :thumbsdown: for the other. I know they try to put off doing the replacement in younger people because the results last 7 -10 years and usually another replacement is called for. This leads up to a build up of scar tissue and in a young person in their 30's you might expect to have 3-4 surgeries then. Have they suggested any swimming for therapy?

Johnie
26-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Woohoo!!! Great news about the trip!

MystikPiglit
26-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm so glad to hear that you will be having your holiday. I hope you both have a wonderful time. :hug2:

SleepinCatz
26-08-2009, 03:03 PM
:) YAY!!!...well about the holiday that is lol :)

Wendy
26-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm so glad to hear that you will be having your holiday. I hope you both have a wonderful time. :hug2:

Will we miss you now :sigh:

Wendy
26-08-2009, 03:06 PM
:wave:Hurrah for the trip, :thumbsdown: for the other. I know they try to put off doing the replacement in younger people because the results last 7 -10 years and usually another replacement is called for. This leads up to a build up of scar tissue and in a young person in their 30's you might expect to have 3-4 surgeries then. Have they suggested any swimming for therapy?

Thank you :hug2:

I'm 45 and he still thinks I'm a bit young :D it's the nicest things anyone has said to me for ages :lol: :lol:

He didn't suggest swimming, and he said that therapy is no use, all it will do is ease my knee if it locks but that's about it.

I'm hoping I can get some swimming done whilst we are away :yes: I know I need to lose weight and I have lost 35lbs so far :D so I am determined to carry on :yes:

Wendy
26-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Woohoo!!! Great news about the trip!

So where are we celebrating your birthday :wink:

Slowhand
26-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I know I need to lose weight and I have lost 351lbs so far :D so I am determined to carry on :yes:
351 lbs !!!! OMG, you must have been HUGE Wendy! :lol:

MystikPiglit
26-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Will we miss you now :sigh:

:unsure: We're there until the 28th Sept, any good? :hug2:

Rosie0610
26-08-2009, 03:36 PM
:hug2: I'm so happy that you will be able to go on your vacation! :)

Don't see the surgery as such a bad thing, remember it will help you feel better than you currently feel!

Deb
26-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Pooo :thumbsdown: about the knee...but yayyyyy for the trip!!!! You will make the best of it and enjoy it for what it is and what you can do. Who knows, by slowing down you may see and do some different stuff...

Aw, let Chris fuss you...it makes him feel better!! :)

mumof2
26-08-2009, 03:51 PM
yaaay!

you're going on holiday, you're going on holiday!! :wiggle:

bummer (if you'll excuse the expression Wendy!) about your knee though hun :hug2:

uscwest
26-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm hoping I can get some swimming done whilst we are away :yes: I know I need to lose weight and I have lost 351lbs so far :D so I am determined to carry on :yes:

Umm sweetie, would that be a typo?

Wendy
26-08-2009, 06:16 PM
351 lbs !!!! OMG, you must have been HUGE Wendy! :lol:

:lol: well spotted I was just seeing if you were reading it properly :whistle: :lol:

:unsure: We're there until the 28th Sept, any good? :hug2:

:yes: definitely, I will PM you to see what we can arrange :D

Umm sweetie, would that be a typo?

I know John, it was definitely a typo, I know I'd put on weight but not that much :lol: :lol:

Wendy
26-08-2009, 06:21 PM
:hug2: I'm so happy that you will be able to go on your vacation! :)

Don't see the surgery as such a bad thing, remember it will help you feel better than you currently feel!

I'm hoping that it will Rosie, I'm just hoping I can hold off for as long as possible :fingers:

Pooo :thumbsdown: about the knee...but yayyyyy for the trip!!!! You will make the best of it and enjoy it for what it is and what you can do. Who knows, by slowing down you may see and do some different stuff...

Aw, let Chris fuss you...it makes him feel better!! :)

You know Deb, that's exactly what Chris has said :lol: he says he can go to some of the places he's wanted to go this time because I always say "it's only a half day's trip" or some other excuse :lol:

I can only take so much fussing, I prefer to be the one looking after people not the other way round :rolleyes008:

yaaay!

you're going on holiday, you're going on holiday!! :wiggle:

bummer (if you'll excuse the expression Wendy!) about your knee though hun :hug2:

Thank you :hug2: I really didn't think it would happen, but it has and I'm going now, n matter what.

I should have my surgery appointment before I go away :unsure: not sure if I really want to know though :lol:

Shellyamc
26-08-2009, 06:27 PM
:hug2: You are going to Disney!! :bounce:

It is going to be a great trip :yes: Your knee will behave while you are away and you can deal with him when you get home :slap: I sometimes wish we were made out of metal so these things didn't happen.

Mari
26-08-2009, 06:48 PM
:hugs2:

yipee!! for going on holiday!!! I think you will both really enjoy this trip, you are in desperate need of relaxing!

Sorry to hear about the knee, I hope the knee replacement works wonders and you can move and not be in pain...

Disneybumble
27-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Great news about the holiday Wen, l was worried as l saw your countdown had gone.
Sorry about the Op but if you need it,you need it. and that is that missy.Will it make you pain free.

Wendy
27-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Great news about the holiday Wen, l was worried as l saw your countdown had gone.
Sorry about the Op but if you need it,you need it. and that is that missy.Will it make you pain free.

I took down the timer because I didn't think we would be going and it depressed me :anxious:

The op that I will have when we get back from holiday probably won't make me pain free, but :fingers: it might help a little. I think the first op is mainly so he can investigate as well as tidy up anything he can :unsure:

I was talking to Pat yesterday and she said my Dad was always a lot better when he was on holiday, she doesn't know if it was the warm weather but he was able to do a lot more than he could at home.

When I told Chris the first thing he said was "before you ask, we are not moving to Florida" :lol: :lol: that man knows me too well :lol:

Isafari
27-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I was talking to Pat yesterday and she said my Dad was always a lot better when he was on holiday, she doesn't know if it was the warm weather but he was able to do a lot more than he could at home.

When I told Chris the first thing he said was "before you ask, we are not moving to Florida" :lol: :lol: that man knows me too well :lol:

:lol: that husband of your is a spoilsport!
I know that when we are in Florida, DH's back is always a lot less painfull with the heat from the sun :yes:

Wendy
27-08-2009, 12:50 PM
:lol: that husband of your is a spoilsport!
I know that when we are in Florida, DH's back is always a lot less painfull with the heat from the sun :yes:

:lol: I know, but I wouldn't swap him for anything - he's a keeper :yes: it's nearly 21 years we've been married now, not as many as you and your DH though :hug2:

MystikPiglit
28-08-2009, 12:59 PM
:yes: definitely, I will PM you to see what we can arrange :D

:bounce: :hug2:

Aww... :lol:

BevW
28-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Wooohooo Wendy! Going to WDW...that GREAT news. The knee news is yucky, but you know, it's fixable....I've had many steroid shots....good thing I'm not a pro sports player!

I'm just glad you're going somewhere with you hubby...and yes, go slow, relax and have fun!
hugs hugs hugs hugs

Taja
30-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Glad you have your dates sorted--including the preliminary operation. Yes, I read your other thread! :lol:

Seriously, if you have any difficulties getting around, rent an ECV off site to use any place you choose! They deliver and pick up, and tend to be less expensive than daily rentals in the parks. When I'm injured, I find getting into the parks every bit as exhausting as touring the parks! That's a long walk from the bus/tram/monorail stations to the actual park entrances when you have foot/leg issues!

Tinker
30-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Yay :mental: , but sorry about the knee . I'm glad you decided to go on holiday . :hug1: