PDA

View Full Version : Christmas In the World...Advice, Please?

Vixynne
31-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Our vacation is planned directly around this coming Christmas and New Year's, and I know we still have over 100 days before departure, but I'm still struggling with a few dilemmas (so brace yourself for some "hey guys, what do you think about ______" posts from me)!

This trip is something of a landmark for my kids, and for me as well. I'm presently in the middle of a divorce from their dad, and although it is an amicable process (knock wood)--it's still upsetting for them. I planned a holiday trip to refocus the three of us as a family unit (and, to be honest, to give me something positive to focus on when I'm feeling gloom'n'doom-y).

Here's the thing. Since we're going to be in-World for Christmas, I'm feeling indecisive about how to handle the issue of Christmas presents. The kids have both been told that "Santa" will not be lavishing gifts on them, as this trip is The Gift. They say they understand that...but seriously, what child wants to wake up on Christmas day to no presents? :sorry:

Now, both of my kids are getting to the age where Santa-belief may be getting ready to wane a bit. (Nick is 12 and Maddie is 9.) But Nick is such an innocent soul that I think he'd honestly carry his belief right into high school if I let him. I could try telling just him about "Santa's secret identity", but the poor dear really lacks the impulse control to NOT slip and tell his sister--and she'd be heartbroken.

I looked up the website for Disney Florists, thinking maybe I'd have them send over a gift basket or something. (Save me the hassle of loading down luggage with more weight and then having to wrap gifts...) Oh my gosh. Their Christmas Stocking costs $60 with at $25 delivery fee, and only contains snack foods! Almost $100 and all you get are pretzels and shortbread?

Ummmm, how about "no". :nono:

They also carry a pre-lit, 4-foot Christmas tree, which I thought "ooooh perfect" until I saw that it was going to be over $400. Seriously. http://www.wench.org/forums/images/smilies/yahoo_silent.gif

So here's my question to the group: Do I try to smuggle some smallish gifties in my suitcase so as not to have sad children on Christmas Day (and save the Santa disclosure for another time), or do I try to find a gentle way to break the news about "Santa's secret identity" far enough in advance of the trip that they will have time to rebound from the news and enjoy themselves, and accept that the trip is The Gift? I really don't want this to become the family tale that gets retold for decades. "Hey Mom, remember when you totally ruined our Disney vacation and stole our innocence by telling us about Santa and we cried and cried and cried..." http://www.wench.org/forums/images/smilies/weeping.gif

I know the time is coming for them to KNOW. And I think I'd rather they hear it from me...my dear geekspawn son will take endless teasing and torment at school if they find out he still believes, and he really doesn't need any more torture in middle school this year.

What do you all think? http://www.wench.org/forums/images/smilies/scratchchin.gif

SleepinCatz
31-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Ok...money is tight in my home too this year so what I am doing is hitting the online Disney store and looking thru thier clearance items. Thier Kids clothes can go as low as $3 as well as toys. You could also consider getting them Disney dollars as gifts for them to use in the parks. And if memory serves me you can have things shipped to the resort you are staying in. All you have to do is contact the resort and let them know what you are wanting to do and they will help you get that set up.

Or if you do not want to tell them about Santa yet ..then Santa can make a visit the night before you leave with a note saying he didn't want to miss them. This would be a great way to give them thier new travel stuffs...clothes etc.

I hope some of this helps :)

Catz

foreverducky
31-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Definitely not the easiest decision to make, especially since money is tight. I think it is for everyone. You could also say that you decided to help Santa out this year and take them to WDW. Then yes, you could buy a small gift from Santa, maybe a new outfit or something for the trip, with a note saying that Santa wanted them to have something for their upcoming trip.

Mari
31-08-2009, 06:56 PM
What about casually visiting the shops in WDW... and seeing what they like, but buying it behind their backs???

Britchick
31-08-2009, 07:05 PM
don't tell them!! sneak some small gifts into your luggage. :yes:

Rosie0610
31-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Will your kids be in bed earlier than you? Bring some wrapping paper and wrap some gifts you pick up there.

Taja
01-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Hey! I believe in Santa and I'm much older than 12! :lol:

Definitely check into shipping a box to yourself with a few lightweight gifts for your children--you can prewrap them. What about a miniature, pre-lit tree? Or you can buy a plain one and add lights before shipping, as well as a few miniature ornaments (check Walgreens, CVS and WalMart--probably Target, too--for miniature ornaments that won't break the bank). Try to do things that won't require a lot of luggage space on the return trip (new pajamas, book, etc.). I'm not sure what the rules are on decorating WDW resort rooms these days (there was a rumour a while ago that it was going to be discouraged), but you might be able to pick up some window clings (Michael's or JoAnn's 40% off coupons--or what ever stores are in your area), an inexpensive garland to drape on the curtain rod, etc.

The objective is to avoid spending much money on things you don't want to ship/take home so you can abandon them or pass them on to other guests.

And you might want to have some casual discussions with your children about the economy and how so many children really need things this year that their parents can't provide, such as a pair of shoes and a few clothes for school. Santa is going to have to cut back this year to be sure all children receive some gifts. You get the idea. :)

OWJAY
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
We were there this christmas and new year and we arranged for some gift baskets to be delivered to our hotel full of Disney goodies and they absolutely loved them, even ad one for my hubby as his birthday is on christmas day. I ordered them from a company called 'Memories by Betsy' I told her how much I wanted to spend and she cam back with some ideas. Couldn't fault her at all

Vixynne
01-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks, everyone! These are great ideas, and I'm going to start looking around for possible small gifties sooner rather than later. Hopefully luck will be on my side, and I'll be able to give the kids just a few smallish things to add a bit of holiday pixie dust to our WDW holidays!

I love the window cling idea, and maybe I can find some other little things to tuck around the hotel room...and maybe the Santa conversation can wait till after this Christmas passes. *cringes at being the one to have to break that news at some point!*

Taja
01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Vixynne, if you've ever used Gallery Glass or similar products, you can make your own window clings. If you aren't comfortable with your own artistic talent, you could buy a holiday colouring book and modify some designs for the window clings. :)

If you don't have the craft stuff on hand, it might be less expensive to buy some pre-made window clings. You would need to check pricing for both options. More work for you! :lol:

Vixynne
01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Vixynne, if you've ever used Gallery Glass or similar products, you can make your own window clings. If you aren't comfortable with your own artistic talent, you could buy a holiday colouring book and modify some designs for the window clings. :)

If you don't have the craft stuff on hand, it might be less expensive to buy some pre-made window clings. You would need to check pricing for both options. More work for you! :lol:

Oooo, I've seen Gallery Glass in the craft shop but haven't actually tried it...what a great idea about using a coloring book for templates!

Everyone's suggestions have helped me feel much more hopeful about giving my DS and DD a great Christmas morning knee-deep in magic at the most magical place in a kid's world. Thank you all so much!