Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need your help...

Post Thanks / Like
    advice, recommendations...

I'm nearly at the end of my wits (such as they are). I've long been a light sleeper and wake easily. Now it's moved to chronic not sleeping beyond 4 hours a night and that's if I'm lucky. Usually it's broken segments, and then only for about 3 hours total.

I've started getting out of bed when I wake instead of tossing and turning. Much of it is "mental" as my thoughts are racing when I wake and I can't seem to drift back off because of them.

My doctor has prescribed a "light sleeper" that works for about four hours. She gave it to me to use when I wake in the middle of the night and have at least four hours left to sleep.

I have to get up so early to drive to work, that "four hours left to sleep" isn't working.

So, any suggestions or recommendations or advice for what may have worked for you?

I seriously just want some good sleep. Who knew it could be so debilitating to not get decent rest over a period of many months (pushing two years now).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry you are having a hard time sleeping. I come from a long line of terrible sleepers. To be honest, I don't know what a restful night of sleep is (other than when I've been medicated for a cold/flu). When we can't sleep it affects many things, our concentration, memory, and general disposition for the day. I have a few thoughts for you.

Have you thought about have a note pad next to your bed, so you can jot down those thoughts? It's kind of a way of dealing with them without having to deal with them (if that makes sense). Of course, this is not where you write a novel. Don't worry about full sentences, grammar, etc. You could even right down anything that is swimming around up there before you go to bed.

I would also recommend a good breathing technique. One that makes you count, so when you wake up, you can focus on the breathing, not the thoughts.

I also like those sound machines, or even a cd player/computer that can play soothing sounds. Of course one person's soothing thunderstorm is another's nightmare, so find something that is relaxing to you. You could always keep it to the side of your bed and only play it once you've woke up. Could pair nicely with the breathing technique. I was just on iTunes the other day and if you look up nature sounds, there are so many good ones to choose from. Everything from early morning birds to rainforest.

Post Thanks / Like
    My sister suffers terribly from restless nights, she usually takes an antihystamine (sp) which makes her drowsy enough to send her off to sleep and not wake til the following morning.

Have you tried listening to a relaxation/hypnotherapy type cd? i know at one point i was listening to a hypnotherapy cd for weightloss and it used to send me off to sleep, used to wake up feeling lovely after that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I really feel for you suffering with this. I go through stages of insominia but that's when I'm stressed about things. The only thing I can suggest other that what has already been said is have you tried reflexology or reiki. I know that alternative therapies aren't everyone's thing but I found reflexology great for me, especially with dealing with the stress. I can't bear having my feet touched but I actually found the reflexology great.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    It's miserable isn't it? I've gotten to the point now, that I know the minute I go to bed what sort of night it's going to be. It became really bothersome after my car accident. My doctor prescribed me a low (VERY low, the lowest you can go) dosage of Lorazepam (Ativan) and it has worked MIRACLES. I only take it when I need it, and it calms things down in my head enough to fall asleep and stay asleep - without any ill effects in the morning. Nyquil/Benedryl has also worked in the past, but I hate that "chemical hangover" feeling I get with these. The Ativan doesn't seem to have those effects on me. I've even taken it in the middle of the night (around 3) and slept until 630 and been able to function...it seems to work a bit differently than some sleep aids...it doesn't *put* you to sleep for a length of time, instead only quieting things down in my head to allow me to sleep as long as I need to.

I've also heard a glass of wine or a cup of tea can do wonders.....

Sorry you're having such a tough time...it makes the days so much longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dr prescribed me antihistamines that made me drowsy because she felt as though I was itching in my sleep and exasperating my eczema. It really did send me to sleep and I've never been a heavy sleeper!

If I'm not sleeping too well, I just go to bed an hour or two later than usual. By this time I'm usually very tired and therefore sleep more easily.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried exercise? Not too near bedtime mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all. I've tried some of your suggestions, and others are new to me. I'll speak with the doc about some of them, too.

It's really all about not being able to shut my mind off, for me. Low level but nearly continuous feeling of anxiety. Maybe the Ativan is the answer?

My work is starting to suffer though, and I can 't have that. I'm too responsible for too many to have series of bad days. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been suffering from sleepless nights and night time anxiety for the last 10 years. I have spoken to several doctors and have tried various meds. I currently have a prescription for Ativan and Sonata. I rarely use the Ativan but it definitely works. The sonata is a sleep aid that I like most of the ones I have tried. Aside from the meds I like to take long walks. I take 5-7 mile walks at least once a week and it helps tremendously. At night I turn the tv off and put on light music and do some reading. I also don't go to bed unless I am ready to fall sleep otherwise I will lay there getting frustrated and that only makes it worse.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 278218
    Thank you all. I've tried some of your suggestions, and others are new to me. I'll speak with the doc about some of them, too.

It's really all about not being able to shut my mind off, for me. Low level but nearly continuous feeling of anxiety. Maybe the Ativan is the answer?

My work is starting to suffer though, and I can 't have that. I'm too responsible for too many to have series of bad days. :(
    I discovered a technique quite by accident a few years ago. Similar to having cd's to listen to, but no need for any equipment. In order to stop your thoughts racing what you need to do is actively listen to all the sounds around you. The creaking of your house, the sound of any passing traffic, leaves rustling in the wind, and even the sound of your own breathing. Have your window open so there is ambient sound all around you. By focusing your attention solely on the sounds your brain won't have space for racing thoughts. It's a technique they also use on planes when trying to get anxious people to relax. It doesn't allow anxious thoughts to penetrate because your attention is elsewhere.

Before you know it, you'll have fallen asleep.

The first few times you may find yourself drifting back into thinking about things. If it happens just refocus on the sounds around you. My Deaf partner Jeff will kick me for being hearing-oriented so if sounds doesn't work then focus internally on your own bio-rhythms. The feel of your breathing, your pulse, the slight tinnitus we all get after a long day, the feeling of warmth from being in a cosy bed. Guaranteed, works for me every single time.

Hope it helps
    Stephen x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast