Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hug your loved ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 286003
    It's been an emotional day for me (Friday).

I woke up to the news that there was a shooting at the midnight showing of Batman. I didn't hear the city at first but assumed it was local. My heart dropped as I knew Alysia had gone to the movie. I then thanked God that it wasn't her. But then was absolutely horrified by all those killed/hurt/traumatized.

Fast forward to the late afternoon and I get a phone call from my sister. Now my sister has an aversion to the phone and almost never calls me. First words out of her mouth are that Alysia had been in a car accident. Again thank God she is ok. But seriously. When you have news like that start out the conversation that people are OK. Alysia and her little mini chihuahua Frankie were shaken up and scared but no major injuries.

Alysia headed off to Nags Head this evening. I asked her to please not get eaten by a shark. She thought I was being funny.

21 years old now and I think I've had more ups and downs today than in all the previous years.
    Johnie so happy that she is not really injured. I know exactly how you feel. You never know these days what the future will hold. So right, give them hugs and tell them what they mean to you. Alex went to Longwood U yesterday to meet with a bunch of her roomies and friends to have a welcome back party. You know I was a basket of nerves waiting to hear that she made it ok. Hang in there Johnie.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 286128
    Yeah.....not likely! The gun lobby has TREMENDOUS pull and it saddens me so. Our second ammendment has been twisted from the framer's notion of maintaining a militia for defense to a God given right to secure as many weapons as a person wants and to only have minimal limits on waiting periods on hand guns. They can get around laws by purchasing weapons at gun shows and there is limited scrutiny on long guns (rifles...AND assault weapons). WHAT will it take?

So dismayed...it breaks one's heart.
    All true. And the gun laws do need to be changed. We need tighter control on who's buying what, how many, and how often. But no matter what we do, even if we were to make guns completely illegal, there's always going to be some fruitcake who will find their way around the restrictions. These people want to use firearms to commit felonies. Like these senseless murders. Even if we were to completely outlaw firearms, do you really think that would stop them? I don't.

If crazies are dead set on doing evil, there's no law that can be written that will stop them. But I'm all for making it as hard as we possibly can.

Tom (... disgusted...)

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree Tom. This murderer planned the whole thing very methodically. He was going to do this no matter what.

I've seen lots of posts on Facebook that if patrons had their guns with them then this wouldn't have happened. Yeah right. More people would have been injured in the crossfire. Plus he had the element of surprise on his side.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad Alysia is ok and the puppy.

It makes you realise how fragile life is and how quickly we can lose our loved ones.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims not just at this shooting but all over the world.
    Sam x

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok....so buying an assault rifle, 2 glocks, and 12 guage shotgun AND 7000 rounds of ammo in less than one month didn't raise a red flag How about Virginia Tech..? Columbine? Should we just arm the whole populace? I listened to the usual guns, God and the other g crowd on talk radio on the way into work railing about gun control (they want NO control) and lamenting the fact that they weren't there to drop this dude in all that chaos. That is all we need a bunch of concealed weaponers drawing and adding to the fire fight!

Come on..I am not saying repeal the second ammendment....have real gun checks, eliminate the gun show exclusions and have some overview of patterns...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 286137
    I completely agree Tom. This murderer planned the whole thing very methodically. He was going to do this no matter what.

I've seen lots of posts on Facebook that if patrons had their guns with them then this wouldn't have happened. Yeah right. More people would have been injured in the crossfire. Plus he had the element of surprise on his side.
    AND he was wearing body armour!! That is all we need as a bunch of John Waynes and Rambos pulling their pieces in all that confusion.

I say if you do pull your concealed weapon and fire and you injure or kill innocents...you should be liable in criminal and civil court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 286140
    Ok....so buying an assault rifle, 2 glocks, and 12 guage shotgun AND 7000 rounds of ammo in less than one month didn't raise a red flag How about Virginia Tech..? Columbine? Should we just arm the whole populace? I listened to the usual guns, God and the other g crowd on talk radio on the way into work railing about gun control (they want NO control) and lamenting the fact that they weren't there to drop this dude in all that chaos. That is all we need a bunch of concealed weaponers drawing and adding to the fire fight!

Come on..I am not saying repeal the second ammendment....have real gun checks, eliminate the gun show exclusions and have some overview of patterns...

He didn't register the weapons or go through the background check. If he got them off the internet or on the black market, how would it have raised a red flag?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely agree Dan.

But my point was that no matter what we do, someone who's focused and dedicated enough will be able to get around it. You'll never be able to legislate the crazies out of existence. Whether it's Colorado, Virginia, the 9/11 attack, the London subway, or the Norwegian massacre. Crazies will always get around whatever we put in place to stop them. Not laws, or concealed weapons or small nuclear devices will stop them unless they can be identified.

This is the only thing that is going to be able to solve this kind of problem. If there had been even a modicum of heuristics applied to these purchases, this nut would have been identified and the police could have paid him a little visit prior to this becoming a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 286146
    He didn't register the weapons or go through the background check. If he got them off the internet or on the black market, how would it have raised a red flag?
    Ahh... but he did Shelly. He bought all the firearms totally legally and above board. Not off the internet. He went through the background check and came up totally clean. You can't buy firearms off the internet. You have to buy them through a dealer who has a Federal Firearms License. You can only buy ammunition off the internet (which in itself is pretty stupid).

The point is his buying habits should have been the giveaway. Not what he was buying. But how much and when. Nobody has the need for that much weaponry and ammunition in the space of time that he bought them in.

Tom (... you can't legislate the crazies!)

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I read, he purchased them from gun shops...the ammo came by internet. Exactly what I am saying...why not have some way to put the two together. He didn't have a dealer's license. The flag should have gone up. Why there is a no wait exemption for long guns (rifles) really gets me. And the NRA wants less gun control...not more or more prudent. I don't think our framers had in mind assault type weapons when they wrote that ammendment. I don't know how they could envision such a horrible situation that our populace would turn guns of such capability on others.

I had a good friend use the standard NRA position of a knife is capable of killing where will it stop? Will you have to have a wait period for a knife? What about the salt shaker on the table..that could be used to kill someone. I said yeah it could but it was designed for something other that killing as many living things in as short a time as possible.

I heard the same talking points straight out of the NRA handbook about knives, machettes and the like being used to kill. A sling shot killed Goliath...but I don't think David had a 30 shot rock magazine to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 286148
    Absolutely agree Dan.

But my point was that no matter what we do, someone who's focused and dedicated enough will be able to get around it. You'll never be able to legislate the crazies out of existence. Whether it's Colorado, Virginia, the 9/11 attack, the London subway, or the Norwegian massacre. Crazies will always get around whatever we put in place to stop them. Not laws, or concealed weapons or small nuclear devices will stop them unless they can be identified.

This is the only thing that is going to be able to solve this kind of problem. If there had been even a modicum of heuristics applied to these purchases, this nut would have been identified and the police could have paid him a little visit prior to this becoming a nightmare.

Ahh... but he did Shelly. He bought all the firearms totally legally and above board. Not off the internet. He went through the background check and came up totally clean. You can't buy firearms off the internet. You have to buy them through a dealer who has a Federal Firearms License. You can only buy ammunition off the internet (which in itself is pretty stupid).

The point is his buying habits should have been the giveaway. Not what he was buying. But how much and when. Nobody has the need for that much weaponry and ammunition in the space of time that he bought them in.

Tom (... you can't legislate the crazies!)

Then I stand corrected. The article I read said otherwise. I just don't see any possible way of making someone like this follow laws and regulations. I mean drugs are against the law here, but people buy them and take them everyday. If someone is intent on this kind of evil, they are going to make it happen. I don't see how a law is going to change it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast