Disney's Hollywood Studios Brown Derby Grapefruit Cake
Yield: 8 servings.
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
11/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup each: vegetable oil, water
3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
16-ounce can grapefruit sections, drained well
16 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon each: lemon juice,
freshly grated lemon zest
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
6 drops yellow food coloring
1. For frosting, beat cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice and zest. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended. Add food coloring as desired.
2. Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease 9-by-2-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with wax paper. Lightly grease paper.
3. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. Whisk egg yolks, oil, water, grapefruit juice and zest until smooth. Whisk in flour mixture.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar just to stiff peaks. With a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture, until just blended. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center. Invert cake, still in pan, and cool on wire rack. Run a spatula or a table knife around the edge of the cake. Carefully remove cake from pan. With serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally.
6. Spread frosting on bottom half of cake. Top with several grapefruit sections. Cover with second layer of cake and frost top and sides. Garnish with remaining grapefruit sections
It's a lovely cake. Light and a bit tart. We ordered it at the Brown Derby and our waiter asked us if we liked grapefruit lol
I'd love to try it even though I'm not too keen on grapefruit :unsure:
well you may want to lie to your server then lol