At the 2011 Disney D23 Expo next month, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will feature a “Carousel of Projects” bringing fans a look at concepts, designs, models, storytelling tools, and technologies currently being developed at Walt Disney Imagineering for Disney parks around the world. The exhibit is inspired by the famous “Carousel of Progress” attraction designed originally for the 1964 New York World’s Fair and ultimately making its way to Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
Included in the convention exhibit will be all 11 of Disney’s worldwide theme parks, Aulani, a Disney Resort and Spa in Hawaii, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club.
Inside, Disney will include:
- Actual figures, props and ride vehicles for Radiators Springs Racers, as well as a behind-the-scenes look at the building of Cars Land, the newest land at Disney California Adventure which opens next year.
- The opportunity to meet a classic Disney icon in an entirely new way.
- Concepts, models and plans for Fantasyland, one of the most ambitious expansions in the 40-year history of Magic Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
- What’s new at Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and Disney Vacation Club.
The Parks and Resorts pavilion will also feature Mickey’s of Glendale, an outlet of Walt Disney Imagineering’s employee-only store, where guests can shop throughout the D23 Expo for “Carousel of Projects” souvenirs and collectibles and Walt Disney Imagineering merchandise not available anywhere else.
In the 4,000-seat main arena of the Anaheim Convention Center, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will host a 1.5 hour presentation on Friday, August 19 announced to include the following topics, plus a few surprises:
- Radiator Springs Reality: Imagineering Cars Land for Disney California Adventure – Join Disney•Pixar’s John Lasseter and a panel of Imagineers and Pixar creative talent as they share the twists and turns through the real-life development of Radiator Springs.
- The Making of Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald will share the inside scoop on how Walt Disney Imagineering and George Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic began laying the groundwork for a new version of Star Tours.
- A Good Look at Buena Vista Street – Imagineers Lisa Girolami, Ray Spencer, and Coulter Winn provide a preview of the new entrance to Disney California Adventure, an idealized depiction of the Los Angeles Walt Disney lived and worked in throughout the 1920s and 1930s.
- Imagineering the Dream and the Fantasy – Imagineers Joe Lanzisero and Bob Zalk talk about charting the design course of the two newest Disney cruise ships.
- Legends of Walt Disney Imagineering – Disney Legend Marty Sklar will lead a celebration of the careers and accomplishments of Walt Disney Imagineering, including Alice Davis, Orlando Ferrante, Bob Gurr, and Don Iwerks. With special guest and current Imagineer Kim Irvine, daughter of Disney Legend Leota Toombs.
Tickets to the D23 Expo are available at D23Expo.