Happy Lunar New Year! Celebration at Disneyland Park: Fact Sheet
With good wishes for 2012, the Disneyland Resort invites guests to celebrate the Lunar New Year season at Disneyland park from Jan. 20-29. The Happy Lunar New Year Celebration! at Disneyland is a joyous tribute to coincide with the traditional Lunar New Year, and it recognizes time-honored traditions of the season with exciting, live performances, fun activities and special food offerings.
- Guests will enjoy the Happy Lunar New Year Celebration! from 10 am to 5 pm Jan, 20-29 at Small World Mall with special character appearances and family entertainment. Exhilarating live performances will be held Jan. 20-23, Jan. 25 and Jan. 27-29 (weather permitting).
- Lunar New Year is a time when families and friends gather to wish each other good fortune and good health for the coming year. The Happy Lunar New Year Celebration! at Disneyland Resort pays tribute to the time-honored traditions and family celebrations that are observed within the Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures.
- Throughout the day, cultural groups perform in colorful attire along Small World Mall. These may include a Chinese Dragon dance troupe, lion dancers, ribbon wand dancers, Korean drummers, Vietnamese musicians and dancers, and martial artists.
- In Mulan’s Chinese New Year Procession, seen at selected times throughout the day, Mulan and Mushu proceed in colorful costumes to the photo location area. There, guests will greet Mulan and Mushu, along with Chip ‘n’ Dale dressed in festive, Asian-inspired attire.
- Small World Mall is decorated for the celebration with Chinese Zodiac symbols, ornamental lanterns, “Happy Lunar New Year” banners and more.
- Signs explaining the meaning and traditions of various Lunar New Year celebrations are presented in English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese.
- The Lunar New Year begins at a different time each year according to the movements of the sun and moon, usually beginning in late January. It’s fitting to have the Disneyland celebration at Small World Mall, where “just one moon and one golden sun” are shared by children from around the globe in the “it’s a small world” attraction.
- A colorful, photo location invites families to pose in front of themed backdrops, which include a variety of Disney characters and family photos. Disney’s PhotoPass Service will be on hand to help guests capture their magical experiences and share their memories.
- Food carts at Small World Mall will serve special treats, including chocolate churros, eggrolls, edamame and almond cookies.
- Southern California residents can join the Happy New Year Celebration! on two different days when they purchase a 2-day ticket for just $99. With the 2-day ticket, guests get their choice of one park per day, making memories with family and friends any two days through June 9, 2012.