The Chocolate Pudding Cake is on the menu at California Grill in Disney’s Contemporary Resort, and they serve a fancy version you can check out in the video that’s adorned with Nutella, silky ganache, mint whipped cream, and mini house-made marshmallows and chocolate meringue kisses.
This recipe is simply the dense chocolate cake. You could add the extras, but we love it with nothing more than a generous scoop of good vanilla ice cream.
Chocolate Pudding Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray with flour; set aside.
- Combine water and 1/3 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar melts. Bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat; slowly add chocolate, stirring until completely melted. Stir in butter, a few pieces at a time, until completely melted.
- Combine eggs and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer until pale yellow and very frothy.
- Slowly stream chocolate-butter mixture into egg mixture, stirring until smooth and satiny.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place cake pan inside of a larger roasting pan; pour hot water around cake pan until water reaches halfway up sides of cake pan. Carefully transfer pans to oven.
- Bake 28 to 30 minutes until just firm.
- Remove cake pan from roasting pan and let cool 30 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto a large plate before serving, or serve directly from pan.
Cook’s note: Cake can be served with mint flavored marshmallows, chocolate meringue kisses, a spread of Nutella, or mint whipped cream.
Watch Pastry Chef Jeff Barnes work his magic!