As some of you know... Mum and Dad went away this morning (Tuesday AM), and Myself and Jade are in charge of the house (obviously our relatives are all coming round during the day)
Anyway, my friend was staying over tonight, so he stayed in my bedroom at the front of the house, and I was in the back bedroom (Mum and Dads)
About 2AM, Jade and my friend (Ryan) knocked on the door saying there is a fire a few doors down from us. I got Niamh's crib, put it in the back bedroom (which has the smallest, tightest window) and then went around double checking all of the windows where locked. Jade phoned my aunty (aunty midwife who delivered Niamh) and asked if we should evacuate or stay put. We where going to put a damp blanket on her car seat and drive upto my Aunties house, but there was so much smoke outside we decided we where better inside. The fire is awful- the fire brigade is still out there now assessing the damage to the house down the road. Thankfully we didn't have to evacuate the house but it was very scary. Jade and Ryan heard a big smash and then people shouting- apparently someone noticed it was on fire and smashed a window.
I had to go into the back-garden to get the tortoises out of the shed as it was pluming with smoke that wasn't in OUR backgarden yet- but we knew that it would be soon, so I had to lock the conservatory door behind me so none of the smoke would get into the house. Their bedding would be flammable, but the Torts are now safley in a box in my bedroom. When I was out in the garden in the enclosure and the fire was awful and was spreading along their gutter too. There where firemen in the back garden of the house that was on fire and I could see the window- it was pluming out of the window- it was really horrible and like something off the telly.
There is no smoke in the house but it does stink!! The house ajoined to the one that was on-fire looks pretty badly damaged too- but luckily the lady who lives there is divorced and her children where at their dad's house.
A police officer knocked on our door to ask us if we where okay and get a statement from us, the lady who was in the house is elderly and is now in hospital :sorry: I don't know her extremely well but we do know her daughter and grandson, the police officer sounded very grim when he said she was in hospital :unsure:
Sorry if I have just rambled for a page and a half... but I am really shaken at the moment and I need to get it off my chest. My room stinks of smoke, as Do Jade's and Niamh's rooms, so myself and Ryan are asleep in the front room, and Jade is in the backbedroom. I've got the baby monitor next to my pillow so I can hear if any of them cough or anything.
Fire engine still running outside with a big huge stadium-type light to look into the house that is burnt out. :sorry:
Ah no, Josh! That is a seriously frightening experience. :( I must say though that I am very glad you are there with your sister!
Try to get some rest. :hug2:
Oh Josh!!! :hug2:How horrible!
I do hope you're all starting to feel a little less shaken this morning. it sounds to me like you did all the right things, and seems like you kept a cool head on you, well done you :yes:
I do hope the old lady is ok :(
Have another :hug2:
:hug2: for you Josh.
You showed yourself to be a very mature young man the way you dealt with all that.
Hope everyone is ok.
How upsetting and frightenening that must have been for you all :hug2:
House fires are absolutely terrible, soul destroying things to have to go through. I'll be thinking of the old lady and willing her to pull through this.
Oh no Josh how horrible.
Thinking of you all today :hug2:
Didn't get to sleep till 5:00am this morning- it's 10:00 now and I've just got up to put the torts back in their sheds, I couldn't sleep much at all :sorry:
That post I made last night is non-sense in some parts- I was very shaky. It really was horrible because we where scared of fumes/smoke affecting Niamh and ourselves. The road was literally filled with smoke from it, the garden did get loads of smoke in it as I was on my way back to the house and my PJ's stink :thumbsdown:. There are two police officers outside the burnt house who have been there all night (or perhaps they switched to give the other two rest or something? :unsure:)
I know this must sound like I am being mellowdramatic as the fire wasn't even in our house, but it was really nerve-wracking as you hear all these things about smoke/lung damage and carbon monoxide or whatever it's called. Thank-god that the lady next door's kids where at their dads!!! :yes:
oh my goodness Josh, you poor things.
You did REALLY well there, well done to you for keeping your wits about you in a frightening time. Thank goodness you're all ok, and I hope the poor lady pulls through :hug2:
Ach and you are going to have another stressful day due to lack of sleep. :hug2: :( Smoke from fires is very overwhelming. My Da used to be a volunteer fire captain and when he'd come home from fighting a fire he smelled horrible. :(
Seriously though, you've done all you can to protect yourselves, your torts and your home. Being sure that all the doors and windows were closed as tightly as they could be, bringing the torts in and all the other safety measures you took were the right things to do.
Keep the baby (and yourselves) indoors out of the lingering smoke as much as you can today. Hopefully, you'll have some help from the weather and a good breeze will come along to move the smoke away.
Not sure how you feel about it but you could ask the police on duty if they'd like a drink (coffee if you have it or something else?) or a sandwich? They might really appreciate it!
The good fortune in all this is that no one was injured, eh?
Try to get a nap today if you can! :hug2:
If your house is smokey luvvie the firemen have machines that blow smoke out of houses XXXXXX That was very scary for you Josh XXXXXXXX Hope everyone is all ok X BIG HUGS honey XXXXXXXXXXXX