Thread: Happy Anniversary - pictures and the Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Twenty years ago yesterday, the very first picture made it's way on the web. At CERN, where the "world wide web" was invented, Tim Berners-Lee posted the the picture on the CERN web site devoted to musical acts at CERN.

What was that picture? Why, this one:

[ATTACH]11972.vB[/ATTACH]

Kind of amazing to think it was only 20 years ago. Now, we have digital cameras, Flickr, and Facebook, and even YouTube. Where's the next 20 years going to take us?

Tom (... I believe I'll have a drink in its honor! )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    What the hell....any excuse to have a drink.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember taking a grad class at Berkeley in 1995 and taking a field trip to Lawrence Livermore Labs and actually seeing the networking room. There was a huge world map with lines lit up to show connections. I guess the LLL was one of the big hubs at the time and thinking holy cow this is like George Orwell or something. I got to see the super computers and remember guards armed with maching guns all over the place.

That was such heady times eh?