Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Friend

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update on Teresa, she has had all the drains out now and doesn't need to go back to the hospital every day, which is good. Wish I could say that she was ok, but she is struggling I know it's natural, but if you knew her, you would know why I am concerned. She is a bubbly, strong person and never lets anything get her down and boy if I'd been through what she's been through in the past, I'd have given up years ago.

I asked if she is going to go to counselling, but believe it or not she hasn't been offered any She said she had asked, but was told that they could refer her to somone but it wouldn't be on the NHS.

Does anyone know if this is true, is there counselling available for someone that has had a double masectomy? Can she insist that they provide her with some help

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    When my mum has breast cancer over 15 years ago I remember a lady coming round to explain what was going to happen to all the family including my brother and I (I was 15). Now im not sure if she did counselling but you would like to think the nhs would provide some sort of support somewhere.
    There might be a local support group close by or even something like macmillan? Perhaps get her to speak to another doctor, sometimes there are just people who cant be bothered to explain options.
    Wishing her all the best and a speedy recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have thought there would be something Wendy, was that the hospital said that or the GP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Sue, I never thought of Macmillan, they were brilliant before and after I lost Dad.

Julie, it was the consultant at the hospital.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go to the GP and see what they say, improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) may be able to help with body image etc. Macmillan nurses can be a great source of support, they have groups and there's a help line that may be able to give more information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Britchick, post: 307535
    I'd go to the GP and see what they say, improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) may be able to help with body image etc. Macmillan nurses can be a great source of support, they have groups and there's a help line that may be able to give more information.
    Thank you

I'm really worried about her, she said she hasn't looked at herself yet, only the hospital have seen her. She's sleeping in the spare room as well and there's nothing hubby can say to change her mind.

It has been suggested that her daughters have a test to see if they carry the gene, she's blaming herself for that

Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't you give the helpline a ring yourself? It will give you some idea of the support available and you could talk about your worries, I've just pulled out a bookI have and it says their helpline is for friends too. The book is hello and how are you, a guide for carers by carers. You may be able to order a copy online for free. Helpline is 0808 808 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant imagine what she is going through - it must be so hard. It sounds like she has got lots of love and support around her but hopefully she can get a bit more from macmillan. She may find it a bit easier talking to people that deal with things like this day in day out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Julie

Sue, that's what I'm hoping for, I can't begin to imagine how she is feeling

I'm hoping that if she will open up and speak to someone then it will help her and help her come to terms with what's happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh sweetie (big hug), Im sorry shes feeling that way and that you are sp worried.

From the people I know who jave gone through it, its a grieving process and they dis go through all of the grieving stages. I do hope she can talk to a counselor.

Over here there are a few survivor groups, nothing really formal, but it has helped my friends being able to talk to others that have been through what they are going through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast