Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Slaps a Stranger's Crying Child

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody but nobody likes listening to a child crying...but the day a stranger set hands on MY crying child would be the day he said goodbye to whatever teeth he owned in his skull. I'm a rational woman, but anyone who put hands on my baby would soon be crying for HIS mama!

SEPTEMBER 2--Meet Roger Stephens. The Georgia man, 61, was shopping Monday morning at a Walmart in Stone Mountain when he crossed paths with Sonya Matthews and her two-year-old daughter Paige. The child was crying, which apparently greatly perturbed Matthews. "If you don't shut that baby up I will shut her up for you," Stephens warned Matthews, according to a Gwinnett County Police Department report. Moments later, Stephens acted on his threat, slapping Paige "across the face approximately four or five times." Though the child "started crying and screaming" after being struck, Stephens told Matthews, "See, I told you I would shut her up." After police were summoned, Stephens told a cop that the child was crying "and he just slapped her," according to the report. Stephens was arrested for felony cruelty to children and booked into the Gwinnett County Detention Center, where he is being held without bond. Paige sustained "slight redness to the face," but was otherwise unharmed.

According to the police report, "the suspect stated he told the mother that he was sorry". Sorry?! I'm telling you, there wouldn't be enough left of him to fill a Ziploc sammich bag if he did that to my kid...
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    A dreadful story.

7 years ago we had an incident in Turkey. Our 7 year old son was playing with other children opposite the pool where we were sat (he was in view of us at all times). Some of the children were older and had apparently been to the games area and taken some tokens from a box which didn't belong to them (my son wasn't with them at that time). The hotel employee, who was also the owner of the box tried to catch the older children but they ran off - my son didn't as he didn't know what was happening and hadn't been involved in the first place. Anyway, before we could get accross the pool the chap had lifted our son by his neck with both hands and was shaking him and slapping his face! I ran and grabbed the chap, who suddenly spoke no English (how convenient), and slapped him around his face very hard. We then called the police. When the police arrived they spoke only in Turkish, had a conversation with the chap involved and then arrested me for assault. Jordan had to be taken to hospital as he was quite bruised and despite there being lots of British witnesses they were all ignored. I spent an evening in a Turkish gaol, not very pleasant, just a wooden bed and a stool with a leg missing. The police pressed charges as I would not relinquish the photo's of my sons injuries to them and I had to go to a Turkish court. Whilst standing in court (I was waiting for 2 knee replacements at the time) one of my legs buckled and a court official hit me accross the back of my knees with a truncheon to make me stand up straight! The case was dismissed and I was released without charge and we eventually, with the help of the British Embassy got the chap who assaulted Jordan arrested. I don't know however what the outcome of his arrest was. We had to endure a further 2 weeks in Turkey as we couldn't get an earlier flight home and I was petrified for the whole time. Whilst in prison we learnt of other foreigners who had been dealt with in the same way and there was a Turkish lady in there waiting to be stoned for comitting adultery. To say I now find it hard to think well of Turkey is an understatement.

I am by the way a grandmother with 4 lovely grandchildren, a Scout leader and a member of the WRVS - not some mad raving lunatic who goes around causing trouble. I have never been in trouble with the police, except I did once get a speeding ticket! I did however, slap this chap in panic and was defending our 7 year old son..................... would I do it again?? You bet I would

Just read this back - so sorry its so long but it really made me feel the need to rant

Post Thanks / Like
    Vixynne, OMG!! I am so with you there.....

sunsetlakes, I'm reading your experience with disbelief, not of you hun, but of why on earth you were arrested in the first place.....I'm stunned! OMG!! I don't know what to say.....I'm absolutely speechless, which is unusual for me!!

Post Thanks / Like
    First, this story is insane! Could the man not walk to a different area of Walmart? What a lunatic!! I couldn't even imagine if someone slapped my child 4-5 times in the face!!

Second, Linda, I feel so bad for you and your family! What an experience! It's really shameful how some people treat foreigners! I'm happy to hear the outcome was in your favor.
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    I havn't been posting as at the villa but could not believe my eyes when I read the heading - how dare he.

Linda your story is terrible and that is the problrm in a country where the language is other than your own - you can't defend yourself.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just shocked by both of these stories. How horrible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unbelievable, I truly mean unbelievable, You must have been scared out of your mind. How did you cope? Your poor husband and son, they must have been out of their minds with worry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Horrific on both stories :( Well that's definitely put me off Turkey now. Wasn't keen before but that has made my mind up now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am gobsmacked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Linda -

As for the other chap. If I'd been there he'd no longer be drawing breath!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast