Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9-11

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure where to put this so please admin feel free to move it. Just wanted to let all our friends across the water that we are thinking of you all here in the UK and remembering your dreadful loss. I can't begin to imagine how terrible it must be and the dreadful waste of life that happened on that awful morning. I can remember watching the TV over here and it was like watching a horror movie at the cinema. Our thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones and all who are grieving. Life is too precious to be snatched from us so violently.

DLP The Disneyland Hotel
    1998 Wilderness Lodge
    1999 Off site
    2000 Caribbean Beach
    2001 Coronado Springs
    2003 Beach Club
    2005 Beach Club
    2007 Beach Club
    2009 Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2014 Beach Club Concierge
    2016 Beach Club Concierge

Post Thanks / Like
    I to would like to say I am thinking of you all and remembering your lost ones.

I still remember sitting watching the television, flicking the channels and thinking I was watching a film, it took a few mins to realise it was real and it was happening right in front of my eyes. I will never forget this day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant quite believe its been 8 years. Thinking of you all on this day.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow its gone so fast....remember the day as if it was yesterday. my town lost a young woman with 2 small kids :(
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I will always remember this sad day. Thinking of all the families of lost loved ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a long day of memories...though I didn't lose anyone personally, Flight 11 took off from just about 50 miles from me, and there's always a sense of connection to those people who were on doomed flights that September morning.

As some of you might know, I'm a teacher--in a very "rough" area. Let me tell you about my day this September eleventh.

I took an informal survey of my sixth-grade classes today and asked them to tell me what they knew about 9/11. I got a lot of blank stares, a few foreheads scrunched-up in straining thought, and one tentative, "Ummm, wasn't that when there was that plane that exploded?"

We spent the rest of the day in immersed study of the events of September 11th. I shared my own memories of the day with them; we pored over 8 year-old newspaper supplements with photographs and articles explaining exactly what happened; we watched a History Channel documentary of professional and amateur photographers who had filmed or taken pictures of events as they unfolded.

We listened to Alan Jackson's "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning" and compared it to Darryl Worley's "Have You Forgotten"--my class of urban, high poverty, hip-hop/rap fans dug into two (count 'em, TWO) country-western songs and tried to analyze how each one was a valid viewpoint of 9/11.

They listened raptly. They wanted to know, they wanted to wrap their heads around not just the "who" and the "when", but the harder and more esoteric "why". They decided that the passengers on Flight 93 were heroes who made a brave choice, that the people who leapt from the heights of the World Trade Center towers rather than waiting to burn or suffocate met their deaths with an amazing sense of self-determination, that even though they might not remember that day with the crystalline clarity that people my age probably always will, they must do everything they can to understand 9/11 and honor those who left us that day.

I watched 44 inner city kids soak up information like sponges today...and for once, it wasn't about some state test or a meaningless list of vocabulary terms. It was about something bigger than themselves, and they got it. The very same kids that people are so ready to assume are nothing but thugs and thug-ettes rose to the occasion with their minds and their hearts.

I'm always proud to be a teacher. Today I was humbled.

May we, as both a national and a world community, never ever allow September 11th, 2001 to be forgotten, or morphed into a glossy, sterilized, soundbite-filled shell of itself. It has to stay real to mean anything to those too young to remember it.

And to our friends in the UK, thank you for your support and remembrance today.
    Just my tuppence.

God bless all those that left this life on that fateful day.
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vixynne, I thank you for teaching from the heart today. I am happy to hear that you addressed the topic from several different mediums. 9/11 should not be remembered for just the same footage repeated over and over. We, as a nation, were completely shocked, angered, and terrified to our core. I feel that 9/11 had a ripple effect on us that continues to change us.

I remember exactly what I was doing that morning. I was sitting down to watch a little tv before I was off to work that day. I remember watching the plane crash and being completely and utterly stunned. Shocked. After first I thought what a tragic accident, but couldn't believe seeing another plane. At the time I was still in undergraduate, but was to go to work that morning at my part time position. While I still went to work, I felt the need to stay home from school and just be with my family that day. At the time, we didn't know what was going on, was this first many attacks that day? I don't want to sound dramatic, but if the world was ending I wanted to be surrounded by those I loved.

RIP all those who were lost and may your loved ones find the strength to keep moving forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    another date i will never forget because i was involved in it was 7/7 just narrowly being on the circle line tube that was blown up by about 3 mins
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    8 years already wow. yesterday think it was the cathedral that went off at 10.00 am said to a mate in the same class. it's been 8 years now since it happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lest we forget
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast