Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping to book soon for next year, any thoughts on areas to stay that would be good for a family of four?

Where is ChinaTown located as I would rather avoid it.

We will be mainly sightseeing with some shopping - happy to walk miles

The hotels we are looking at are on West 35th Street or 10th Avenue in the Midtown area - the hotel accomodation isn't that important I just want a fairly central area that I will feel happy to walk back to in the evening with two kids.

Thanks for any input - it's mind boggling trying to plan a holiday to a place I don't know a great deal about

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Excuse me. There will be no trip planning until the previous trip has been reported.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was waiting for that I promise I will do NewYork - I can cope with 7 days

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Lisa I live in NYC and have lived here all my life. The subway system here is safe and quick and pretty cheap. I really cant recommend a hotel because I have never really needed one here. If your looking for a general area where to stay so that you will be in the middle of everything I would recommend Times Square area (midtown west or midtown east). This would leave you close to Times Square, Central Park, Rockerfeller Center,St Patricks Cathedral and the subway line you would need to visit Ground Zero and The Statue of Liberty. I would be careful in the Hotel you book because some are just outright disgusting and not fit or a family vacation. Make sure you do a little research on the hotels before booking. Any questions you may have please feel free to ask.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, researching your hotel is a MUST. I stayed in a (rather pricey) NYC hotel about fifteen years ago and was horrified at how dingy and TINY the room was. We paid 200 dollars a night and could barely walk between the bed and the wall on two sides, and the bathroom was...just...ewwww-worthy. But I traveled blindly--it was a group trip with about 20 people, booked by the lead person in the group, who just tried to find enough rooms in one hotel for the nights we were staying, and probably didn't do much background research into the quality of the rooms.
    Love isn't about finding someone you can live with.
    It's about finding someone you can share a lifetime with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chinatown is a good distance away from midtown. Canal Street is the main road in Chinatown.....why don't you want to go? Lovely purses to buy.... :-)

And yes the rooms are small. We have had good luck getting the Sheraton Manhatten on Priceline. It's not as small as others I've stayed at in NYC. In fact, I'd say it's pretty average sized. It's a good location too.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    We are staying at the Comfort Inn Manhattan next month, breakfast is included so thats a bonus.
    A friend of mine who lived in NY always stays here when she goes back to visit.
    Love Rio

Post Thanks / Like
    I have stayed in
    The hotel newton, great hotel but we needed to get the subway. This was not a problem as we felt safe and the area had good restraunts and i would happily stay there on my own.

Milford Plaza, it was on Broadway which was an excellent location

Hotel Edison, another good hotel on Broadway but rooms were very small.

Newyorker which was near Empire state, huge room with two bathrooms. Great hotel and great location.

If i were to go with Beth again then it would be the Newyorker but if it were me and dh then the Newton due to cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio, post: 165508
    We are staying at the Comfort Inn Manhattan next month, breakfast is included so thats a bonus.
    A friend of mine who lived in NY always stays here when she goes back to visit.
    Love Rio
    Thats one of the hotels on our list - we are booking it as a package through Virgin so I would hope it isn't completely dire The breakfast is what is swaying us as well

Johnie the reason I don't want to stay near Chinatown is pretty pathetic but I don't like the smell (or taste for that matter ) of Chinese food.

Thanks everyone

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="lisaw, post: 165522"]Thats one of the hotels on our list - we are booking it as a package through Virgin so I would hope it isn't completely dire The breakfast is what is swaying us as well

We have booked with Virgin and the man I spoke to recommended it as he had stayed there, will let you know how it is.
    Love Rio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast