Thread: Yo Skywatcher

Post Thanks / Like
    Donna just asked me a question that I can't answer. She is watching something on TV about India and said that they showed the moon resting on it's side. So instead of a ( or ) like we see it here it was like that right paren were laying down. SO she asked "Do other parts of the world see the moon differently than we?"

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I noticed this when we went to the canaries which is about level with florida and substantially south of where we live.

The moon is ina fixed orbit around the earth ( imagine a swingball/tetherball pulled taught) and you will get a sightly different view of it depending on whether you are above , at a level, or sl under that orbit - the sifferences are small - you cant see any new major features but it does look different

Post Thanks / Like
    I never knew that! I'm going to take more notice the next time I travel somewhere other than the UK.

Post Thanks / Like
    For us Mare Crisium ( the round sea on the right) is top right for us but at lower latitutes it is in a different position (12 o clock as opposed to 2 o clock)- I will try and demonstrate with these pics they are not great but see if you can see what I mean.

From the UK

From the Canaries

It also changes throughout the year as the Earth wobbles - hence the change in seasons and length of day the north pole points more to the sun in the Summer and as such the moon looks a little diffent then

not sure if you can see what I mean from the pics try and look at the craters I know they are not the same phase but it should give you some idea, you can see the shadow part of the moon is at an entirely different angle