Thread: Our trip to the Keys

Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't a full trip report just a small report about our recent trip to the Keys when we were at the villa.

We took the US27 route which we had been advised was more interesteing than the Interstate route.

We passed through many towns and so many orange groves which went on and on into the distance. We also saw many sheriffs sitting at the side of the road slightly hiden from view until you were up close so speed limit was kept to.... :wink:

We stopped for lunch at Key Largo at a Tiki Bar which was just so beautiful looking out over the beautiful blue water. It took us around 4 hours to get from the villa to Key Largo. Then another hour to Key West.

We then drove on to Key West and stopped along the route to paddle in the water as and when we fancied it or if a spot looked particually scenic.

Upon arrival at Key West we dropped our bags at our hotel, we just went for cheap n cheerful as we had decided we would be out most of the time and so nothing fancy needed.

Changed and went out, went to the Southernmost point which is 90miles away from Cuba.

We then went to Duval Street which is where lots of the restarants and shops are and milled around looking for somewhere for dinner. So many resstaurants to choose from and I think we went to the Rum Barrell.

The following day we had prebooked a snorkling trip from 9am - until 1pm, free beers, wine and soft drink thought it would be a nice way to spend the morning.

Upon departure we sailed for around 40 minutes to the reef ( by this time myself, Jai and my middle son Ryan were feeling very poorly and had realised we were definately not sea dogs!!

The snorkling was wonderful and we saw so many lovely fish. We spent around 90 mins in the water.

Unfotunately on the way back we all suffered and none of us could stomach even the soft drinks. The captain instructed all of us wusses to be ill over the back as the toilets couldn't cope. I was mortified but fortunately there was a whole host of us who didn't have sealegs...

Anyway, back on land we drove to the beach and had a lovely afternoon. The sea was just like walking into a bath, just beautiful. Arun found a coconut and was determined to crack it which he managed after banging it on rocks for about 1/2 hour. Jai drank the milk from inside and said it was so sweet.

That evening we went back to Duval street, had dinner and then went down to the seafront and relaxed, then looked around the shops and back to the hotel around 11ish.

We went home via Miami - had lunch on Ocean Drive and went on the beach for 1/2 hour and then it poured down so didn't stay there very long. Took the interstate back home and it wasn't such a nice journey.

It was a lovely trip and I'd recommend doing it - the drive from US27 is very scenic once you get close to the Keys.

Sandra
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    oh my gosh, how wonderful. Reading that brought back some memories......

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like fun, well except for the sea sickness. I would love to visit that area. I've heard it's just beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful family you are.

We've only been to the Keys once, and then only for part of a day. We were having a mini vacation on South Beach and we drove to the Keys for one day. We loved it though, and want to return.

Do you mind my asking which hotel you used on Key West? We liked quite a few that we saw, but don't really want to spend a fortune on accommodation when, like yourselves we really would only use it to sleep and shower.

Looks like a certain Miss got a bit of sun! Must remember to slather on that suncream!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 167592
    What a beautiful family you are.

We've only been to the Keys once, and then only for part of a day. We were having a mini vacation on South Beach and we drove to the Keys for one day. We loved it though, and want to return.

Do you mind my asking which hotel you used on Key West? We liked quite a few that we saw, but don't really want to spend a fortune on accommodation when, like yourselves we really would only use it to sleep and shower.

Looks like a certain Miss got a bit of sun! Must remember to slather on that suncream!

Thank you :smile:

The hotel was Days Inn Key West and we booked it through Hotels.com It was a double suite and was 55 a night for the 5 of us - bargain. It was clean and did the job but was basic.

I had factor 30 on but as you can see I'm really white, although to be fair I look whiter as I am at a disadvantage in the brown stakes against my family as they are naturally brown :biggrin:

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been ages since I was in the Keys, how lovely!! Forgive me for laughing about being sea sick! A few years ago we went to Maine for a couple of weeks, now we boat quite often here usually on Lakes and rivers, we even do the houseboat thing once in awhile on the St. Lawrence River so I never thought I would have a problem on the ocean in Maine,boy was I wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's such an awful feeling and it took me hours back on land to feel remotely normal. :rolleyes008:

If we ever go on a boat again I will have to remember to get some travel sickness tablets

Sandra
    Sandra