Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How foolish am I ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't all rush forward with witty remarks

I've planned our next trip to Florida and thought I'd done well.
    We are getting in the car and touring for a few days as usual....this time to Clearwater and Crystal River areas.

I have planned in detail a dinner cruise at Clearwater and a dolphin spotting cruise the following day.

I get terrible motion sickness!! I can't do any of the big rides as it makes me really ill for hours so, what made me think I could do a couple of cruises?

If it had been on a lake then I would have been fine but....on the ocean

Post Thanks / Like
    We had the same realisation during our recent trip to The Keys, we almost planned a whole day at sea doing jet skis, snorkling, banana boating etc but after our morning snorkling when we were all so sick we realised that we are definately better off on land

We were sooo ill - the feeling didn't even wear off once we were back on land and it took me hours to feel 'normal'

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you want to give it a try, you can take some Dramamine. Herself uses it with good results. There is a non-drowsy formula too, but it's harder to find.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arkvilla, post: 167672
    We were sooo ill - the feeling didn't even wear off once we were back on land and it took me hours to feel 'normal'

That's what I'm worried about!

Sandra
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 167673
    Well, if you want to give it a try, you can take some Dramamine. Herself uses it with good results. There is a non-drowsy formula too, but it's harder to find.
    I may do this Tink (the non drowsy formula)

Are the waters off Clearwater relatively calm? Would I notice a big difference from a lake

Post Thanks / Like
    We did an afternoon's cruising around Naples and were a bit worried about how we'd hold up but it was absolutely fine! Soon as we saw the dolphins swimming and jumping alongside the boat, everything else was forgotten and the afternoon went by far too fast.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The water off Clearwater is the gulf, so it won't be as turbulent as the ocean proper. It can be quite smooth like a lake, but I'd plan on it being a bit more rough than that. Having said that, you may have a perfectly calm "light chop on bay and inland waters" sort of day!

Oh, ginger works well for nausea too. You could nibble on ginger candy, or said more specifically, candied ginger.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Take me.... friends hold each others hair.... lol.... I will hold yours for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 167676
    Are the waters off Clearwater relatively calm? Would I notice a big difference from a lake
    Several years ago, my DW and I did a "gambling" cruise out of John's Pass in St. Petersburg. Of course, they had to go out a good 3 miles into the Gulf. While it certainly wasn't rough or choppy, there was a swell going and my DW got quite seasick on the return trip. Part of that may have been the fact that we came back in after dark and the boat had spotlights illuminating the water on each side. Sort of accentuated the visual effect of the swell. It's not always that way but it can be. I'd certainly consider the Dramamine.

Tom (... the gently rolling swell just puts me to sleep!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is such a hard balance. You don't want to miss out on something that you would love, but you don't want to get sick and not enjoy the other things you are doing.

Totally not sure..

Post Thanks / Like
    i have an alternative.

someone i know rented a beachfront apartment and 'dolphin spotted' from the balcony.....combine that with a take out meal and there ya go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast