Thread: Driving home after your flight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Next year when we go to Florida we dont have much of a choice but to drive to the airport and home again. When we have been before we have gone by train and also a minibus as there was alot of us, but this time neither of those are an option. On the way home both dh and i are shattered as neither of us seem to sleep much on the plane so im a little worried about the journey back - how have you all coped with it? did you find it a strain and wouldnt do it again or was it perfectly fine?

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    i guess it depends how far you have to drive. I find it really hard and don't think that i would do it again. Dh does sleep on the plane and has to be awake for long periods of time in his job so is used to it and i feel safe with him driving.

If you're worried you could always stop in a cheap hotel and have a sleep before driving. Lots of people do it and they seem ok

Post Thanks / Like
    We have aboout a 2hr drive to get home
    A friend of my sister and her husband drove home from gatwick after coming back from florida, the first time they did it they stopped on the way home at a hotel and had a sleep - she said it was awful and they felt dreadful on the drive home, second time they drove straight from the airport and he was fine!

Post Thanks / Like
    DH has drove home after the flight - only 40 minutes and has been ok. He won't have any alcohol at all on the flight home.

Got back this morning and I had to drive DH to garage today to collect his new car. I must say I felt a bit tired and weird after not driving for a fortnight.

1997 - Newport Bay Club -DLP
    1998 & 1999 - Disneyland Hotel & Sequoia Lodge- DLP
    2000 - Caribbean Beach Resort WDW
    2001 & 2002 - Newport Bay Club -DLP
    2003 - Hotel New York - DLP
    2004 - Grand Floridian - WDW
    2005 - Hotel New York - DLRP
    2006 - Grand Floridian - WDW
    2007 - Yacht Club - WDW
    2008 - Disneyland Hotel, DLRP
    2009 - Yacht Club WDW, HRH & BLT
    2010 - Beach Club WDW

Post Thanks / Like
    We have just over a three hour drive back from Manchester airport. After an hour into the journey, DH pulls over at a service station and we both have an hours nap!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd see how you feel at the time, just make sure he drinks plenty of water on the plane as dehydration is what usually makes me feel worse after a flight
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I always fall asleep... even though I sleep on the plane so I wouldn't dare risk it for us... we all sleep in the taxi back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! I think im going to look into booking us into somewhere after we have landed, i cant run the risk of driving back - and i know there is absolutely no chance whatsoever of me sleeping on the plane (i am a dreadful flyer!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a 6 hour journey home and have always driven it. Its hard but all drivers have a stint at driving. Dh will be doing it this year as he is use to driving during the night. He can sleep any were as well so i guess he will not have an issue in uc.