Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Post Thanks / Like
    it seems to me that these servers are not being properly trained. My trainer taught me that the customers comfort was #1...some ppl don't like someone hovering around...others want you right at thier elbow. You learn how to read your csrs...then treat them with respect and curtesy. We were taught to NEVER ask if they want change, to bring them what was owed to them and Never hint at a possible tip. I had days where I would have 10 tables and only make about $2 in tips, but I also had days where I made $200 on one table. NEVER once did I show disrespect to a customer for any reason! I am blessed in that I learned my trade and never sufferred the "penny" tip.
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is very true, 'Catz. Lack of proper training is quite often the case. We see that with WDW too. Since they've reduced the length of training for their new CMs you can really see a difference in the quality of the service level.

I had a discussion with a Lowe's manager just the other day; suggesting that one of their employees needed more training.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepinCatz, post: 8836
    it seems to me that these servers are not being properly trained. My trainer taught me that the customers comfort was #1...some ppl don't like someone hovering around...others want you right at thier elbow. You learn how to read your csrs...then treat them with respect and curtesy. We were taught to NEVER ask if they want change, to bring them what was owed to them and Never hint at a possible tip. I had days where I would have 10 tables and only make about $2 in tips, but I also had days where I made $200 on one table. NEVER once did I show disrespect to a customer for any reason! I am blessed in that I learned my trade and never sufferred the "penny" tip.
    I wish everyone were like that!

The problem is that the whole tipping thing is a spiral of doom :mad: Can start with a nasty customer as easily as a nasty server but either way, they treat the next server/customer poorly because of the last experience and in return get treated badly themselves and before long every customer is prejudged as a poor tipper and every server prejudged as just out for the money

One of the servers who ringed the "Gratuity expected" bit was at Ruby Tuesdays at the florida mall. She'd had to take our order about three times because she was talking to her friend whilst asking us what we wanted. I asked if they had a bottle of a specific wine "dont know" :rolleyes008: well can you find out? so then we get the "uh-huh" treatment. Everything we say it just gets "uh huh" in a disinterested tone. She goes away, comes back and says "we dont have that wine but we have another red".... well what type is it? "red" any more information? <silence> can you perhaps bring the bottle so we can see it then? "no we're not allowed to bring it out unless you buy it". I mean come on? then end of the meal and having not seen her the whole meal, not even checked if everythings ok, she hovers waiting for the tip. GRRRRR
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink, you were in Tarpon Springs and didn't swing by? I'm hurt, we could have had lunch, you were so close.

Don't get me started on tipping. I hate tipping, especially my hairdresser, I'm already paying a bundle for service.

I think the US should just pay everyone a working/living wage and not expect people to survive on tips.

Why should we tip for a service we're already paying for????????

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh NO! You live near Tarpon Springs? Phooey.

You've sure had some wicked storms out there lately!

Yeah, Keith that's my favorite. A poor server, who then turns on the brilliance at the end of the meal. Seems as though there is some "training" out there that says if you are cheerful and smile brightly during the last thirty seconds of contact with your customer you'll get a big tip. Too bad I have a longer memory.

My neice (the one who is now an attorney) was a server for a long time while going to school. She was one of the wonderful ones, and I feel as though I have a good idea of how hard it is to be a server. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to expect shoddy service. Done with that. Too many places to take my money, you know? Especially now when business is clearly off for many of the restaurants. No way am I putting up with lousy service and then returning.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Gosh.....I only wanted to know if I should be tipping the barman for pouring me a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOLOLOL! Well, you sure did get an earful, didn't you Isafari! Started quite a popular thread here, you did.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have "fired" alot of resturants here in Baton Rouge. You get 3 shots at us...on the third one if you fail you are fired!
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    I do admit that as a Brit I have forgotten but DH has soon picked it up and dealt with it. We forget because we don't have to do it here. So when we do genuinly forget it gives all Brits a bad name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 8857
    Gosh.....I only wanted to know if I should be tipping the barman for pouring me a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    been a great and useful thread though!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast