Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This postal strike thingy

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it one of those 24 hour deals or is it an ongoing thing?

Need to think about the exchanges (and my Christmas shopping).

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a 48 hour strike but it looks uncertain whether it's going ahead now as they have been in 2-day long talks :Yes:

Fingers crossed it doesn't interfere with the exchange, but if it does it'll only be 2-3 days I suppose. What I don't understand about these strikes is that they know what wages they are getting when they agreed to do the job- if my Dad phoned the Director of his company and said "I'm not coming in tomorrow as I need more money" he'd be fired on the spot.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly what happens when there's a strike is that mail piles up, sometimes in not very secure places. It can get crushed, damaged and the chances of it being lost are far far greater. So it's never just "2 or 3 days" of trouble.

I feel the pain of the postal workers I really do. They've come from a highly unionised, monopoly and are fighting against the inevitable huge change that HAS to come through the use of email, instant messaging, cell phones and all the other modern communication technologies.

The problem is that they're standing at the edge of the ocean trying to command the waves to retreat whereas they should be trying desperately to adapt the pre-empt the changing market. (which is kinda what the management are trying to do!)

Earlier this month the news came that royal mail has lost a crucial contract with its second largest customer, the online retailer Amazon, as a wave of strikes threaten parcel deliveries in the busy pre-Christmas sales period. 25M at least that contract. How many jobs will that cost and how many more contracts will they stand to lose through their strikes?

When you're just a man or woman working all the hours you can to support your family, of course the bigger picture isn't going to be something you care a jot about! You just need the work but this is where the unions, instead of saying ok everyone out, need to be explaining that change is essential and without it, it won't just be "some" jobs lost, it'll be the lot.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with those comments Keith.
    We have a crazy situation here. The Post Office are closing down the local sorting office in Stoke and transferring it to Wolverhampton. Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 172565
    Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?
    Not as daft as *posting* to your next door neighbour Just kidding I totally get what you mean. We're lucky in the fact our main post office closed down to make way for a new big WH Smiths one. My Mum's friend works in the post office in the village and thankfully it's still always busy. I think my Dad keeps it going off his eBay alone haha
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with those comments Keith.
    We have a crazy situation here. The Post Office are closing down the local sorting office in Stoke and transferring it to Wolverhampton. Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?
    Same as us - closed the Brighton office and now everything has to go out to Gatwick and back again. So when the vet in town sends a vaccine reminder it travels at least 50 miles for a 2 mile actual distance.

And Keith is right. When I worked for the post office we went on strike over the use of casual labour. I think we were out for 6 days but it really took several weeks to get back to normal. And this time of year is when the "mail traffic" really starts to busy up. It could be a nightmare.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Post Office are closing down the local sorting office in Stoke and transferring it to Wolverhampton. Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?
    Don't feel alone Terry. That's been the case here in the US for years. If I mail a postcard to my next door neighbor, it has to go to the Atlanta sorting facility before it comes back to my local post office for delivery. A round trip of about 70 miles. Strangest thing I ever heard of.

Tom (... who says it has to make sense?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently there is delivery tomorrow but no collection and then on friday its collection but no delivery

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like our work mail. Seems it is cheaper to have the dept of general services come pick up our mail, take it back to their facility, apply postage and then mail the letters.

I don't know about cheap but it sure takes forever. A letter within the area takes about 5 business days to get somewhere.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gareth just ordered 2 things on eBay from the UK - I suppose that means they'll take even longer to get here!

Oh well.....
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast