Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part 4 ~ Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like
    WARNING [AGAIN]....ANOTHER LONG POST!

Again, thanks to our DVC points, a 4 day trip to Disney`s Vero Beach seemed like a good idea. We were last there in 2002 following our first DCL cruise and we remembered how relaxing this resort is especially after the dashing around at WDW.

[ATTACH]4644.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4645.vB[/ATTACH]

Now according to Mapquest, the driving time to VB from our villa should have taken us 1 hour and 57 minutes to cover the 108.39 miles to be precise!
    In fact our journey time was a staggering 6 HOURS!
    We set out from the villa around 11.00am, along the Turnpike South before exiting at junction 153 to pick up SR-60E, travelling along this road for 20 miles or so when my DW let out a yell and said “Oh my God!” in a load voice. [We were now about 10 minutes away from our destination].
    She had just remembered that she had left her dresses and evening clothes back at the villa! Although I had put our suitcases in the trunk, I was blissfully unaware that my DW had put these items on hangers in the wardrobe and she had omitted to tell me about them, which at least let me of the hook!
    After a quick mental calculation [following a few choice words! ], I reckoned that it would be a darn site cheaper to drive back to our villa to collect them rather than buying my DW some new clothes so this is what we did. Needless to say but very little conversation took place between us over the following 200 miles or so!

After stopping for a snack lunch on the return journey, we finally landed at VB at around 5.00pm.
    We had booked a sea view room in the main building and one of the CM`s said [after the customary “Welcome Home”] that we had been assigned one of the rooms that is often requested to which I replied “I bet you say that to all your guests”. It was only when we saw our room that I could have eaten my words as Room # 2317 was HUGE!
    On the left as you entered was a kitchen area in a 20ft. corridor, at the end of which was a comfy chair beneath a window. Turning right, you passed by a built in wardrobe with the bathroom to the rear having a washing area with sink outside. Beyond this was the bedroom with 2 queen size beds in an area with 2 windows looking out to the ocean [which was around 50ft.away] and at the end were patio doors leading onto a balcony overlooking the pool. The room is located in the corner of the main building hence the reason for the vast amount of floor space provided....oh and there was even a towel animal on the bed!

Room #2317

[ATTACH]4640.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4641.vB[/ATTACH]

VB has 2 restaurants, Shutters [family dining] and Sonya`s [a more adult restaurant]. Unfortunately we were told that Sonya`s was only open on Thurs./Fri. & Sat. [today was Monday ..Sept.28th], so Shutters was our only option.
    As soon as our allotted server came to our table she said “Haven`t I served you before?” Upon reading her CM badge and seeing the name Helen, Nottingham, England, I remembered that she had indeed served us before on our previous visit to VB when we spoke at length about DCL as her parents had just done one of their cruises. Up to then my mind was racing as to why she recognised us. Had I given her a huge tip at the time? Or worse still, a tiny one? In the event it was that discussion about DCL back in 2002 that sparked the recognition, but what a memory Helen had eh?

As mentioned earlier, VB is a very relaxing location and there is not a lot to do there apart from chilling out which suited us just fine. Probably the most energetic thing we did was to walk along the beach in the morning or after dinner, making sure not to go near the turtle nesting sites that are scattered around, the rest of the time being spent lazing around the pool. At last I could at least read the book that I had brought with me….Richard Branson`s autobiography which is aptly titled “Losing my Virginity”…along with listening to some music on my portable player via the headset.

[ATTACH]4646.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4647.vB[/ATTACH]

On Wednesday [30th] we decided to drive into Vero Beach town which is around 10 miles from the resort to check out the restaurants there in order to find a new location for dinner for a change.
    Parking the car alongside the ocean I approached a middle aged couple who looked like locals, asking them for their dining recommendations. They were indeed locals and suggested that we try a restaurant called Pearl, located on the main street which is where we went in order to make a reservation for this evening.
    We noticed how deathly quiet the town seemed and Pearl, although closed, seemed like a good choice so we decided to return later this evening and hopefully have dinner there as a “walk in”.
    We returned at around 7.30pm and we had no problem in securing a table as there were only 6 other diners in the entire place. We had a great meal with very attentive service and we were told later at the more busy times of the year that you need to make a reservation for Pearl around 2 weeks in advance as it is so popular!

On our last night at VB we opted to visit Sonya`s for dinner as this was the first [and last] opportunity we would have to dine there.
    While waiting downstairs sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of the main building waiting for my DW to get ready for dinner, I noticed a strange phenomenon out at sea that I had never witnessed before. A passer by told me that it was a water spout which is like a tornado out at sea which sucks the ocean up in a column of water.
    I dashed back to our room to grab my camera but by the time I returned [and got rid of the condensation from my camera], it had all but disappeared but I managed to get a reasonable shot for posterity.

Water spout

[ATTACH]4642.vB[/ATTACH]

Again we had Helen as our server at Sonya`s. She asked us if we had seen the sharks earlier today! Apparently sharks are seen in the ocean within a few feet of the shore at VB, however so far they haven`t attacked any guests, and earlier today several of them were spotted swimming around chasing shoal of fish not far from the shoreline apparently!
    We had an excellent dinner in very relaxed surroundings. As it was so quiet generally, there were only a handful of fellow diners so we were able to have quite a lengthy conversation with Helen, promising to re-visit the resort before another 7 years have passed by!

On Friday [Oct 2nd.] I went for an early morning stroll along the beach to take in my last view of the ocean for a while, catching the sunrise which I attempted to photograph.

Sunrise

[ATTACH]4643.vB[/ATTACH]

After breakfast we headed back to Orlando and our villa, this time within a driving time of well under 2 hours!

[ATTACH]4648.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm, I'm probably going to regret this question, but why would evening clothes or dresses be needed at VB?

Nice report Slowhand! We always enjoy our time at VB.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 173020
    Ummm, I'm probably going to regret this question, but why would evening clothes or dresses be needed at VB?
    You obviously don`t know my DW as well as I do Tink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well no, that's quite true.

Given my extremely casual approach to clothing (unless it's work related, then it's ultra conservative) I just can't imagine taking evening clothes or dresses (ok, so I don't own a dress) TO Vero Beach, never mind turning around to go home and get them.

PUHLEEZE don't let Mrs. S read this, ok?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 173029

Given my extremely casual approach to clothing (unless it's work related, then it's ultra conservative) I just can't imagine taking evening clothes or dresses (ok, so I don't own a dress) TO Vero Beach, never mind turning around to go home and get them.

It`s sad I know but my DW makes sure that she dresses nicely for dinner wherever we are.
    She also encourages me to do the same [not in dresses mind! ], and I tend to go along with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds wonderful, Terry! That's someplace that Carol and I would enjoy I'm sure! Nothing to do but relax and eat. My kind of vacation!

BTW - as a child growing up in St. Petersburg, we used to see water spouts in Tampa Bay quite frequently. Still remember them to this day. Rather an amazing site to see a large column of water stretching up into the cloud base!

Tom (... I need to practice relaxing so that by my next vacation, I'll have it right!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 173029

Some how Tink, I never invisioned you as being " extremely casual"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this Slowhand, I've always wondered about this resort!! Looks beautiful!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Slowhand, I think that is lovely. Dressing for dinner. My parents did and always insisted that we did too, holidays were more dressy.

Tinkfan, if I press my shorts I'm dressed up. I wear pleated trousers, button down collared shirts (long or short sleeve) and the occasional suit (weather permitting) for work. So that's pretty conservative.

I simply don't do the dress up thing any more. Too traumatized by all those crinolines and patent leather Mary Janes as a kid! Remember the trouble I had for the cruise?!

At any rate, back to the thread. VB is a lovely place. The walk along the shore is forever long. You can go as far as you please. We had an Inn room once (on our way to Ft.Lauderdale for another cruise) and it was lovely. Not as large at your's Slowhand, but quite large regardless!

We've seen water spouts over Tampa Bay area too, but they are much more dramatic on the Atlantic side. The "worst" one I ever saw was when I was on Bermuda.

Must say we've given up on Sonia's though. The food is just far too smokey for us. The servers are really nice there though. We enjoy the Green Room too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can vouch for the fact that Mrs S dresses up for dinner no matter where she is eating. :tongue:

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast