Thread: Anyone know how to stop a cat...

Post Thanks / Like
    from doing its erm, toilet business in the house?!
    My sister had one of our kittens. While he was here he was perfect, wasnt at all dirty, she took him home and he used the litter tray perfectly, the trouble started when she took it away. She moved it outside first of all and he was fine then, and when she noticed the litter tray was clean she took it away completely. Since then he has been terrible, he will literally go anywhere - even coming into the house to do it in the most stupid of places! This morning he came IN the house to wee in the middle of the floor - needless to say it didnt go down very well and he went out a lot quicker than he came in!
    Having the litter tray back in isnt an option - and he was quite happy going outside anyway. Hes a big boy now and shouldnt be having one anyway.

Anyone got any ideas? He's on his last chance now

Post Thanks / Like
    Kate, I was wondering why he had to stop having a tray in the house? I always have one even if I have a mainly outdoor cat for two reasons - if they ever have to be kept in for some reason, eg after an op or during illness, they will often not take to using one again and will be "messy" in the house. Also, you can often tell a cat's health better seeing it's litter tray stuff (gross, I know!).

I think the answer is more in finding out why he is doing it. If there is another cat outside somewhere who is marking territory nearby, or something else there it finds really stressful, a cat (especially a younger or more weaker one) can often be too scared to mark outside and comes back to the place where he knew it was safe to do so before. Also, if the cat is in any way stressed he can easily develop cystitis, which again would contribute to him feeling more comfortable going in the house, and often they have to let it out anywhere, bless them. It is reasonably common in male cats and can be very dangerous if left untreated - they can get a blockage. I would try to work out what the reason is first and work backwards from there. Cats are very clean and seldom do their business in the house without good reason, so the best first course of action is to find out why. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Deb. My sister has had lots of cats and when they stop using the tray and going outside she has got rid of it - always has done. Having a tray isnt really an option cus theres not really anywhere it can go where its out the way, and theres always little children in the house.
    Its very unusual i know for a cat to be dirty, thankfully all of mine have always been clean. He is such a nice cat, lovely natured and id hate for her to get rid of him because he is so dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say he is worried about something. She needs to keep taking him to an area were he can go and grab his paws and do the digging actions with him. its basically retraining him. Also wash the area with biological washing liquid to remove the smell.
    My new kitty decided to use our bed the first day here and she was just scarred, we constantly took her to her tray and finally in sunk in again (with 24 hours) not had a problem since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you - will pass it on!