Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to go to seaworld or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    im not a huge fan of zoo's n the like and really dont like the idea of whales in captivity used for shows n the like in tiny little tanks. have read so much on seaworld ive got myself all confuzzeled now so can you all please give me your honest opinion on seaworld n the shows they do? my kiddies would love to go on our next trip but im not sure i want them to see animals in captivity like this from what ive read please could the kind people on here help me as ive never been to seaworld and am not sure what to expect (the kiddie winkles really want to go and i really dont want to dissappoint them)

thank you for any assistance
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you. I'm pretty hard on any type of park or zoo, or setting that holds animals captive. I'm particularly harsh about teaching animals to do behaviors other than their natural ones.

Now, having said all that, I did make it through Sea World ok. The park itself is pretty and easy to walk around. The shows are cute, and most do promote the positive benefits of what the trainers are doing with the animals/mammals.

Not going to tell you that you'll be one hundred percent pleased (Seth's Da really objected to some of it) but it's much better than Bush Gardens (in my sole opinion of course).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I too don`t like the thought of animals in zoos per see.
    Having said that the animal keepers at Seaworld think the world of their animals who are obviously contented in their environment as many of them have bred at Seaworld which is quite rare for certain animals held in captivity.

It`s well worth a visit IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    defo worth going
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a fan of animals in captivity but man has been so selfish it's sometimes the only way to preserve them.

Anyway Sea World does it far better than any other place I've been to and we always pay a visit there. I reconcile my conscience by acknowledging the fact that Sea World do a tremendous amount of unseen work to help wildlife stay in the wild.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with everybody. I to hate animals in small confined spaces. And at Sea world on the whole this isn't so. And the conservation work and teaching SW do is truly wonderful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the manatees have had to be released, but Seaworld did save a few of them and they are pretty thin on the ground now

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the replies guys im now thinking im not gonna get upset whilst walking round, i really like this site everyone gives a totally honest nitty gritty answer which is just what i wanted.

thanks
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    Helly does make a great point. They do much for rescues of manatees, and other sea mammals. So, going supports the good they do, even if some of it puts you off (and it will...but mostly you'll be ok).

We are kind here, and honest. Honesty is kindness, yes?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't agree with animals in captivity, however in seaworld I do think I'd much rather see them in captivity being bred for conservation than in another zoo.

They do fantastic conservation work and many of the behaviors they teach them to do, especially in the dolphin's case they do naturally. They however teach them to do it on command.

The training methods they use are not harsh and are all based on positive re-enforcement- the same way we train dogs to sit, rollover etc

Out of all the zoos and parks, this is the one I'm most comfortable with visiting. BG however, really, REALLY upsets me
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast