Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sorry, new pc advice again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 174142
    I may be wrong but everyone who downplays macs talks about the cost - which I fully acknowledge is more expensive - however to date I have owned 2 laptops , a toshiba a sony vaio and an acer - the acer only costing about 350 quid which was fine but I get the feeling my macbook pro is just going to keep on working it is lightning fast - it is ready to use and go online within 20 seconds of pressing the boot button unlike all the windows pc's I have ever used that take at least 2-3 minutes.

Maybe I am caught up in the euphoria of the moment but as there are no virus' on macs and therefore no background systems working constantly to keep the computer safe I honestly can't see it breaking anytime soon

I paid a small fortune for the HP Pavillion desktop 3 years ago and it is beginning to show its age - the fan is on constantly and it is slowing up and working ahrd all the time even when little appears to be running, I'm sure a computer whizz could come in and sort it out but no matter how many programmes I remove, how many disk defrags, spybot runs and norton subscriptions I run it never sounds any healthier and I just have that 'last legs' feeling about it

Yes an iMac will cost me more but at the moment I honestly think it will outlast the cometition

or am I wrong
    I agree. I got my iMac around the same time Dad got a new windows PC- Said PC is long gone. I know some people will say "I've had this PC X amount of years and it's amazing still!" but I'd be willing to bet it takes a whole load of effort to keep running like that. My iMac still feels brand new. I can turn it on, turn around, and turn back again and it'll be ready to go Where as with my laptop, I turn it on, go and get a tea/coffee, come back to find it still just about reaching the log-in page

I seriously would say it is by far the best option when outweighed by the price. Plus they hold market value for AGES as well! I CANNOT reccomend them enough!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my Macbook Pro since 2006 and it shows no signs of giving up so far. I've replaced the original hard drive (just to get more capacity) but that's all. It's a tank that just keeps on running. While I love all the new hardware, right now I can't see any valid reason to upgrade.

What I've got currently just continues to run well.

Tom (... a satisfied customer and general all around Apple bigot!)

Post Thanks / Like
    ok i get the idea but would i be able to afford a decent enough one to play games, store thousands of photos....oh, just a thought, all my craft CD's - i wouldn't be able to use them so that's no good.

sooo back to pc's - it's for general home use, as i said....games, email, music downloads, hummungus amounts of photos, numerous craft cd's, i'd like the better and bigger i can afford.....600 is the most i could pay, DH would like half that!

as well as that though (maybe within that price?) i would need (i think) an external hard drive so i can transfer files. I believe i can do it by plugging it into the 2 machines, and literally dragging and dropping the files from one to the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    i was looking at this one Mairead,

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 174149
    I've had my Macbook Pro since 2006 and it shows no signs of giving up so far. I've replaced the original hard drive (just to get more capacity) but that's all. It's a tank that just keeps on running. While I love all the new hardware, right now I can't see any valid reason to upgrade.

What I've got currently just continues to run well.

Tom (... a satisfied customer and general all around Apple bigot!)
    tom i have an old tosh pII laptop still going strong cant beat a tosh windows based laptop

mairead

are you after a desktop or laptop, and whats your budget?
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12