Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concert with my daughter tonight & I'm a mess

Post Thanks / Like
    But whaf if i don't. And l have mentaly spent all the money. The people i will let down and the worry of it all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    ok something else for me to worry about now as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I feel like the Bumblebee girl in the old Blind Melon video when she goes thru the gate & sees all the other 'bees', lol (you all are probably not even old enough to remember that, hehe). But in other words, it feels good to know I'm not the only one like this or who goes through these anxieties.

One does just have to try to get through it & 9 out of 10 times the things we are stressing about turn out fine & the things we worry about never come to pass. But ya know, even though I know this, it doesn't stop me the next time.

We ended up having a good time at the concert but there were quite a few drunks which I expected being it's a band that's going to attract the local college crowd. But the band was amazing & my daughter did have a good time but the drunks & people who felt they HAD to sing along at the top of their lungs bothered her too. Lol, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ;)
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    See? Now I'm worried that I didn't see this and reply before now. :( Seriously.

Worriers unite, eh?

Cristine, you have been through so much it would really be a concern if you didn't worry.

One of the things that some psychologists use for gaining perspective (in their clients) is the "think of the worst thing that can happen, and then realize how extreme that is and you'll see that it won't."

I NEVER use that as I can think of the worst thing and see how it DOES happen.

One thing I've started to do is look back and remind myself of old worries that came to nothing. It's not foolproof, but I worry so much that I've got quite an amazing collection of worries that never came to pass and that really helps.

I like to have a plan anymore. If I am seriously concerned about something that I can control (catch there, eh) I like to have a plan for the event, or the actions I'll need to take to get through it. It helps, and quite often I don't have to use the plan and that is a great thing.

For example, I'm worrying about something pretty stressful right now. I've made some calls, got some information on the matter, and have a general action plan in place. When the worry increases and threatens to overwhelm me I remind myself of the overall goal, and keep that uppermost. It won't be foolproof and this is one of those hard unpleasant things that we all have to deal with from time to time, but with a plan and the best information I can locate, I can keep the worry from becoming debilitating and paralyzing.

That's the key for me; being able to function WELL within the parameters of the worry du jour.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds so structured & well thought out Tink. And so reasonable. I think what would cause me to have a hard time with that is when I get stressed my gut instinct is to go hide. To attempt to cancel or in some way get out of or put off what is causing me the stress. Which, if I am actually able to do that, only prolongs the worry! I have to fight hard against this & try to make myself go through with whatever is stressing me (which can sometimes be something as simple as making a phone call!!). I need to get some strength back....some fight back in me...so that I can tackle these things as you do Tink. I really admire you for admitting your weaknesses & for having a plan to combat them rather than trying to run & avoid as I do. Thank you for sharing that.

And I think we do need to start a Worrier's Club, lol. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a Worrier's Club might be a good idea! We could each support the other and help the other person see a way through or around the worry!

Might just work, ya' know? :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good Tink, lol, since I can't afford therapy you all can be it for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12