Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How busy is Martin LK Weekend in January?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to do a little planning (as much as I can without being able to predict the weather!). We arrive on the afternoon of Thursday 14th January, and my guidebook says that Martin Luther King weekend is 15 - 17th. Does anyone know if this weekend very busy? Is it worth mainly avoiding the parks, or will the difference be negligible at this time of year?

Thank you! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Its very busy Deb as is the Tuesday afterwards - certainly in comparisson to the rest of the time we went there, so in subsequent years we took that weekend to do 'offsite stuff' seaworld , Universal, shopping in DTD etc , but seeing how quiet it was the rest of the time it was palpably more busy for those few days

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris

I think therefore we shall book Discovery Cove for that Sunday, and go shopping, and plan on only going to the parks to get the "vibe"...we have 14 day tickets so we can go and look rather than expect to get on the attractions. If we do get on any that will be a bonus, and we can still see fireworks I suppose.

I shall, however, probably give up any thoughts of getting any decdent ADRs then! I'll take my chances!

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been there for this weekend a few times in the past and we avoid WDW. Universal was ok until around lunchtime.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been in January but not during MLK time. I imagine it's like any other holiday weekend & packed, probably with lots of locals who have long weekends. Since you have two weeks you might want to play it by ear on those 4 days & if the park is packed then you can leave & go do something else off site.
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I went last year but it was Wed/Thurs before so, it wasn't TOO bad. However, when we were leaving on Friday, I remember a ton of people checking into the resort we stayed at. It was gorgeous weather at the parks! A little chilly but totally bearable.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    never have been for MLK bday but I know presidents weekend in February was crazy . I can only assume because Floridians are off school and work , but if only reason .

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked. Our county (Volusia) is out of school on Jan. 18 and 19 for MLK Day.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennie81, post: 175490
    I just looked. Our county (Volusia) is out of school on Jan. 18 and 19 for MLK Day.

Wow! That makes it likely, if most counties are like this, that it will be crowded. I would love to have a weekend like that for MLK day, lol, my kids are lucky to get the DAY off.
    [SIGPIC]The Family![/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    The Tuesday is always way busy in the MK as well but the other parks are not as bad.

Oh and before you panic Deb the post about it being chilly was from a Floridian :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast