Thread: Could one of you give me some advice please

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, I know this is an area for you to talk, but I have a question and I didn't want to mention it on the main site for all the members to see an start commenting on, I don't think it's fair.

The house we stayed in a few weeks back had a really bad problem with bugs and cleanliness. I know it is very difficult to keep rental homes clean and tidy with the amount of guests that are using it, I just feel that this one was a little bit neglected :(

The house itself was beautiful and with some tlc could be fantastic, it is in Formosa Gardens overlooks Star Lake and gets the sun all day until it sets.

I spent the first day cleaning, the cupboards had food in them the fridge was :yuk: and the crockery and cutlery needed washing. I understand that this was probably because of the last guests, but I would have thought the management company should check.

We also had a really bad problem with red ants and bugs. I understand that it is tropical and bugs are normal, but we have never seen so many in a house before. We contacted the management company and they came round and sprayed but said that there wasn't a lot they could do. We were told they were carpenter ants Chris has been bitten by a red ant before so we know what they look like

I am unsure whether to contact the owner or not, we got the house at a reduced rate of 2,300 for the 3 weeks because it was a last minute booking and also she said because she'd had a cancellation.

I have attached a couple of photos just to find out whether you would want to know if this was your home. Having said that, I think the owner was there the week before us, so maybe I would be wasting my time

Kitchen
    [ATTACH]4770.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4771.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]4772.vB[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]4769.vB[/ATTACH]
    drinks dispenser in fridge

These were before I cleaned

French doors in the lounge

[ATTACH]4773.vB[/ATTACH]

Bedroom bugs - it was worse than this, but we used to spray every day with some bug killer we bought.

[ATTACH]4767.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is appalling Wendy. You told us about this when we met up with you but I didn`t realise it was quite as bad as that!

It seems like the cleaners have a lot to learn, there`s no excuse for this.

Actually we get billed every month for pest control which Ray & Jill arrange for us, on top of which we get an annual treatment of our place to protect against termite attack.
    Touch wood, so far the only bugs we`ve seen inside our house are those that we have seen entering through an open doorway...one or two at the most.

The odds are that the villa owner looks upon his/her house as a bit of an earner and therefore is not as emotionally involved as we are with our place[hence the reason why only close friends and family are allowed to stay there], however it may be worth contacting them and enclosing a few photos.
    I doubt whether you will get a refund, however if he/she has any sense and wants any repeat rental business then they should at least be made aware of the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness Wendy - thats awful - if it were pour home I would be devasted to think that it was in that state when guests turned up.

I would definately contact the owner and send your photo's even if it was a lower rate yiou expect it to be clean.

We had some tiny ants this year for the first time and the pest control guy came within an hour of me calling our MC who in turn called him. I know it's our home and our MC obviously wanted to give prompt service but I have only ever had lovely comments about the cleanliness of the villa from guests, so I know that our MC work hard to make our home welcoming for guests.

They need to have a word with their Management Company - I'd get a new one if thats the standard of care.

I don't know what size the home was that you stayed in but 2300 for 3 weeks isn't that cheap - ours would be 1920 for 3 weeks and that includes pool heating.

Keep us posted as to what you do Wendy

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Terry and Sandra, I don't want a refund, I just wasn't sure whether the owner would want to know or should be made aware of this.

I know you get pests and bugs I just thought it was a little worrying. There were so many ants and cracks around the pool that there had to be ant's nests under there

These photos are just a few, as I say it's a shame because the house could be beautiful.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was my house I would definately want to know
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a villa owner, but I am a home owner here in Florida, and I can tell you, bugs of any sort in the house is not the norm. If there are bugs, then there needs to be extermination, and promptly. Carpenter ants are fat and black and don't usually bite, so you most certainly did not have those. Plus, if they were indeed carpenter ants that's even more reason to contact the owner, as they eat wood and can destroy a house.

Cracks along the the pool deck are another problem that needs to be attended too. The rest is just plain filth and I'd be embarrassed to death to have my home in that condition.

I know you don't want a refund, and that is fine, but I'd be certain to let the owner know that you can't in good conscience recommend this place.

The condition of that house is completely unacceptable.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you I will send her an email with some of the photos.

She has sent me a few emails asking me to leave feedback on the site, but I have just ignored them I don't want to put something up that might put people off, I know things are difficult with rentals at the moment.

I guess it's time to tell her why I haven't left any feedback. I hate doing things like this