Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit gutted right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Was parent teacher consultations today.

My son is a further learner in all subjects and is on the gifted and talented register already at age 6.

Great?

Well yes but...

My son has significant social difficulties. I knew his behavior was not perfect but had no idea how bad. He can't sit still. He doesn't share well. He pokes other children for no reason. He doesn't know how to join in a game. He gives up too easily.

I don't know what to do. I've failed as a parent. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    oh hon, you've not failed as a parent!

Social skills come very easily to some, like me for instance. And others it is very difficult.

Has he ever been tested for ADD/ADHD? sometimes the lack of concentration is a dead giveaway for that.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    NO you haven't! you're one of the most attentive parents i know

you need some advice, did the teacher tell you where to go get some?

Post Thanks / Like
    You've not nearly.

I know it won't help much, but can I tell you this...I sat through Andrew's first grade parent/teacher conference over 10 years ago and they told me the same (exact same) things (though they also added that he told inappropriate jokes at inappropriate times). And he is now a fully functioning, intelligent, polite, good looking 17 year old who is about to graduate high school. His social skills have developed...albeit a bit slowly and w/ regular reminders and he's a GOOD kid (Right? You said so yourself!). Relax a bit, Dawn, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 176073
    I've failed as a parent. :(
    You so have not!
    You're a great Mom, everyone here knows that

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 176076
    you need some advice, did the teacher tell you where to go get some?

I will speak to the special needs coordinator at school when I get the chance because our school classes social difficulties as a special need fortunately.

It was just a bit of a shock really. And it's all started since he moved to year 2. He had issues before but they appear to have escalated this year. I wonder how much of it is boredom because he is an advanced learner. There's 30 kids in that class and the teacher can't focus on just 1. Makes it worse too because I work in the school ...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very true about Andrew he is one of the most respectful teenagers I know.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 176075
    Has he ever been tested for ADD/ADHD? sometimes the lack of concentration is a dead giveaway for that.
    I'm convinced it's not that. When he finds something he's interested in he can concentrate and stay focussed for hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    PS. He does still tell inappropriate jokes at inappropriate times but I like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 176080
    I will speak to the special needs coordinator at school when I get the chance because our school classes social difficulties as a special need fortunately.

It was just a bit of a shock really. And it's all started since he moved to year 2. He had issues before but they appear to have escalated this year. I wonder how much of it is boredom because he is an advanced learner. There's 30 kids in that class and the teacher can't focus on just 1. Makes it worse too because I work in the school ...

He could very well be bored. I know I was as a child. I was the first one done with my work and would talk to my neighbors. I've always been chatty. But, I did get in a lot of trouble in school for it. I think they should have been proactive and gave me something else to do!

Can he bring in something else to read or draw or something to occupy him?

Is he in the same age range as his classmates?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast