Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: phone advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 176522
    yeah if it doesn't have GSM in there, it'll be pretty useless Internationally (and I can't see GSM in the specs yet)

They have announced a GSM version for the O2 cellular network over here in Europe however
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 177009
    GET THE DROID!!!!! :9: :9: :9: We just brought Herself's home today. It is an INCREDIBLE phone and has that fabulous Verizon coverage (which blows AT&T out of the water). :9:

You are going to LOVE it!!!!

I got an LG eNV, but that's because I have the iPhone for work. Shhhhhhhh now. Christmas present bought too. We added Seth's Da to our plan, and got him a new LG enV too. It's his Christmas present. :D

Ducky, you HAVE to see the Droid. I love it so much, that I've sent an email to our corporate office and asked if I can turn in the iPhone for the Droid.

I'll bet they don't let me, but you can't blame me for trying! :D

Anyway, it's the phone, I'm tellin' ya!
    The GSM feature would stop me then. I'm looking at the Blackberry Tour and Blackberry Storm as a replacement for my Blackberry World Edition. Donna is pretty well sold on the Droid.

Sorry to hear your new LG went swimming Tink.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    The storm is useless. I can see from the stats on our blackberry server (thousands of people on it and we can see all the devices they use) that most people have stopped using it and gone back to the bold.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 180795
    Well we finally got a Droid (aka Motorola Milestone in the UK) in at work today so I've been having a play.
    Wow, Keith, you may have sold me! John and I walked across the street from work the other day to check out the Droid.

I could have gotten the HTC version for $99, but I did NOT like the on screen keyboard. No matter where I pressed, I got the wrong letter. The Motorola version, however, with the slide out keyboard, really appealed to me. My problem, tho, is that I would have to pay extra for a data plan - and I don't have one now for my current phone, and I don't use my phone for internet use. I really can't justify the added expense, I guess. But I do like the Droid...
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    honestly I love my iphone and I didn't expect to like the droid at all. I only took an interest in it at work because Tink had praised it.

I'm surprised how good it is though. The keyboard is solid and well spaced, about the best I've seen for the size.

It IS *VERY* data-aware though. Not to say you couldn't use it without a data plan and it supports wifi anyway so that's an option

Definitely a very nice piece of kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 180795
    Well we finally got a Droid (aka Motorola Milestone in the UK) in at work today so I've been having a play.

It's very impressive to be fair. Motorola never really seem to push the boundaries these days, but I think the Google Android OS has done their job for them.

It's very fast, easy to use as Tink says and I think it has the power to divide the world into two, those who love the iphone and the way it works, and those who love the droid way.

Some very nice apps, google maps with traffic layers etc and some very nice voice technology, even google voice searching and so on.

Unlike the iphone it can multitask which makes a big difference, yet to see how much it drains the battery

Voice and speaker volume/quality better than the iphone, not that I have a problem with the iphone :) but the droid is more like nokia (best quality calls IMHO)

They've both got their pluses and minuses, both are great and do the job admirably but if you've tried an iphone and couldn't get on with it, the droid may well be what you've been waiting for
    I've always said that Motrolla could do with getting someone else to write their software! It's always been terrible, but their designs are ace. The droid does sound like the perfect alternative to the iPhone... is it cheaper, too?

I LOVE the look of the palm pre, if I had to switch from my iPhone it'd be to a palm pre or a droid.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 180845
    I've always said that Motrolla could do with getting someone else to write their software! It's always been terrible, but their designs are ace. The droid does sound like the perfect alternative to the iPhone... is it cheaper, too?

I LOVE the look of the palm pre, if I had to switch from my iPhone it'd be to a palm pre or a droid.
    pam pre - rubbish :(

We were eagerly awaiting it believe me but awful trashy software not yet ready for prime time, TERRIBLE battery life. Avoid.

At the moment, given windows mobile is somewhat out of the game, it's droid or iphone really

Post Thanks / Like
    i have had an iphone for 1 week and dont know how i got by without it its fantastic the apps are great and nothing i have found is rubbish on it i just love it :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly AT&T lost their court case against verizon's ad campaign. Seems to confirm what you've been saying about AT&T Tink

At issue is an ad campaign called "There's a map for that," which is a takeoff of Apple's "There's an app for that" campaign for the iPhone. In the Apple ads, various iPhone apps are promoted to show that the iPhone platform has an app for virtually any need. In Verizon's case, the comparison is of AT&T's and Verizon's respective 3G networks, using a map of the United States to demonstrate each. Verizon's 3G map covers most of the country, while AT&T's is a spotty, barely visible web of tiny strands of coverage.

In other words, Verizon's ads and their depiction of each 3G network are accurate.

AT&T complained that the ads distorted the fact that AT&T's overall wireless network, which includes 3G coverage as well as older-generation, slower, non-3G networks, is more widespread than what is shown in the ads. But the Verizon ads never compared the overall size of both networks. They only compare 3G coverage, which is what smartphone users are looking for since the 3G areas transmit data at acceptable speeds.

"Verizon's side-by-side, apples-to-apples comparison of its own 3G coverage with AT&T's confirms what the marketplace has been saying for months: AT&T failed to invest adequately in the necessary infrastructure to expand its 3G coverage to support its growth in smartphone business, and the usefulness of its service to smartphone users has suffered accordingly," a Verizon court filing reads. "AT&T may not like the message that the ads send, but this Court should reject its efforts to silence the messenger."

The court did just that. And while that may seem like bad news for AT&T, the truth is, no one was ever fooled by the company's legal grandstanding. It's 3G network is widely considered the be the shoddiest of the major wireless networks in the United States, a fact that was coincidentally confirmed this past month in the latest issue of Consumer Reports, which rated AT&T's overall cell phone network
    as the worst of the major carriers. Even its voice network received the dreaded lowest possible score from the publication. When it comes to "irreparable harm," AT&T is its own worst enemy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke to our National Director today and told him that having to deal with AT &T is negatively effecting my work and my ability to do my job. I asked him if he could get me the Droid and get me back on Verizon. Interestingly enough, he refuses to use the iPhone because he doesn't want AT&T!

He said he would "try" but that's not very reassuring is it? I'll just have to start logging dropped calls and time invested in reconnecting (time delay to get to an area where I have service).

I am really pleased that Verizon did not misrepresent their coverage.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234