Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'd better start reading up on my Shakespeare!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love you to come with me Tink - you could explain to me what's going on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you'll understand it just fine. It's a classic presentation of jealousy, mistrust and coveting another's position, etc. Far easier to watch Shakespeare and understand than it often is to read and understand.

"What bare bodkin this?"

My favorite is A Midsummer's Night Dream. But then you would have guessed that, yes?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Now see I like Midsummer's Night Dream as well, and Romeo and Juliet, I'm a Shakespeare lightweight :p015:

It's a classic case of being put off of it at school - but then we read Julius Caeser which I hated when I was 14. :rolleyes008:

One of my favourite places to visit in this country is Stratford Upon Avon and I have been to all the houses connected to him there (even the house next door to the house where his BIL lived or something like that! ), so I must have some connection to him :p015:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's not forget poor Yorick either; "alas poor Yorick, I knew him well"

Post Thanks / Like
    I hated Romeo and Juliet. That play drives me bonkers. I really like Much Ado About Nothing (Brannaugh's version was WONDERFUL) The Tempest, Merchant of Venice, so on... Henry the V (another great performance by Brannaugh).

I liked Ceasar because it was so chock full of familiar "sayings" but I must agree it is NOT the most exciting reading of any time, let alone at 14! Teachers choose it though as it's deemed one of the easier to understand Shakepearean plays.

I will get to Stratford on Avon one day.

Yes, poor Yorick. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered the Kenneth Brannagh version on DVD :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved Julius Caesar! We did that in 10th grade, so I was about 15 I'd say. Of course, our teacher was lots of fun, I think that makes a HUGE difference.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's very true Johnie, our Literature teacher really wasn't fun.

I do still warn everybody about the 15th March though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Of which play, Lisaw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I had the BEST professor for Shakespeare ever. She was wonderful and made it come alive. "Didn't suffer fools gladly" either I might add. There was no nonsense in her class!

I do remember this one student though. He was hysterical. We were doing Romeo and Juliet :sigh; and about midway through the play the kid shouts out, "WAIT A MINUTE!!! You mean West Side Story is a RIPOFF?!!!!" I thought she'd burst a blood vessel laughing! We all got a good chuckle out of that one.

LOL! I used to love to show Much Ado About Nothing to this group of little boys I used to watch (five of them! ) They all professed a desire to watch it each time they were with me. I will say they all sat through the whole thing many a time, but I know the truth! There is this one scene... LOL. Well, suffice to say, little boys were QUITE interested! LOL! (Women and bathing and very little clothing). I wonder if any of those boys still like Shakespeare today? :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast