Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using McAfee Anti Virus?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a message this morning telling me that my anti virus was out of date so I went through the normal up date procedure but it failed to complete the process.
    I tried it several times and rebooted my pc but it still won`t update.
    Is anyone else using McAfee having the same problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 177976
    Is anyone else using McAfee having the same problem?
    My DW's PC uses McAfee (gasp, wheeze, splutter) and it complains about something all the time. It's also slow, annoying, and generally unpleasant. Although I suppose it serve's it's purpose. Anyway, you might want to check your subscription (the bit you have to pay for over and over) to see when it expires. We had some issues with that.

I'd actually recommend getting something else if possible. I've had good luck on the Windows installation that runs on my Mac using Avast. And it's free. The only problem with this whole concept is that it's almost impossible to remove McAfee once it's been installed. The standard Add/Remove programs doesn't get it all.

Or... you could just use a Mac and not have to worry about anti-virus.

Tom (... knew I couldn't let that one pass)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Tom...I WILL get a Mac one day, honest!

The thing is that McAfee was installed on my pc by the guy who built it for me ages ago and as such I got it for "free" so I don`t have to pay for anything.
    So far I`ve not had any problem with it but this time the update downloads the updates, "backs up the files", "pre-notifies for engine DAT update" and goes as far as "Copying Engine", at which point it coughs and splutters and tells me " Update failed to version Engine 5400... blah blah blah"

Would a large hammer help?

Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't do a thing to protect my IBM Lenovo (work machine) from the nasty virus that caused me to have to send it in to Seattle to be rebuilt.

I was told then that if I received a message to update my anti virus protection it was the virus/trojan still. So far so good.

All that to say, McAfee isn't anything that worked for me, so perhaps it really is time for you to switch to something new? (Like that iMac)?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 177979
    The thing is that McAfee was installed on my pc by the guy who built it for me ages ago and as such I got it for "free" so I don`t have to pay for anything.
    Hmmm... perhaps you're riding your companies subscription. I know that without giving McAfee the appropriate amount of coin of the realm, it will eventually stop updating itself. Although this doesn't really sound like your problem.

TBH... I'm not sure what the problem is. Without actually being there to peer into the "guts" as it were, it's almost impossible to tell and even harder to fix.

Sorry! Wish I could help more.

I will however, continue to monitor this thread and commiserate at every opportunity!

Tom (... they don't call it Windoze for nuthin!)

Post Thanks / Like
    sent a pm :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 177998
    sent a pm :)
    Thanks Mike.
    I guess that before I do anything drastic, I`ll hold fire until next week which is the earliest opportunity for my "pc doctor" to pay me a visit.
    I`m a bit concerned regarding Tom`s comment that I would probably be unable to uninstall McAfee from my pc though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 178018
    I`m a bit concerned regarding Tom`s comment that I would probably be unable to uninstall McAfee from my pc though.
    There have been numerous reports of the McAfee uninstaller leaving stray bits around, Terry. Don't really know how widespread an issue it actually is however. I've just read numerous horror stories on various mail groups that indicate it's a problem.

Your mileage may vary.

Tom (... it should all be simple shouldn't it?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... doing some exploring on the 'Net. Here's something from McAfee you may want to try:

Technical Support for Home and Home Office

Tom (... hope it helps!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We have McAfee on our work computers and I have it on all 3 computers at home. Work offers a free version for home use, which I installed Terry. I than ran into the same problem when I tried to run an update. It wouldn't work. So I purchased the full blown version, have it, as I said on all 3 computers and haven't had a problem with it since.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast