Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to admit I see both sides of this issue. I personally would rather give my MIL exact items for her to buy me instead of receiving the items I know she's spent good money on that go right to GoodWill or sit in the closet for years!

I honestly do think it's all a bit too much actually. I would be fine with no presents except for maybe a few smallish things. I have some friends who have a "limit" they need to hit with their spouses/BFs/GFs. Some of them spend $500!! They are out there just buying anything to make up $500!!
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vampmel, post: 178425
    every year my sister buys me a dvd or cd, she never really thinks about what I am interested in, In the past I have bought her Jewellery (9k gold), make-up, bath sets etc, always the thought has been there about what she would like - well this year I have bought her make-up and thats it.
    I get that too :( you try hard to think of something that someone would like and end up getting something very obvious which little thought has gone into. So then we end up doing the same and suddenly the fun of gift giving goes right out of the window.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveann, post: 178427
    a bread maker maybe
    Falls backwards off chair PMSROFWL

Post Thanks / Like
    DH and I don't buy anything for each other, we don't need to and we have everything we could possibly need/want. We are at that age where we don't need anymore socks, shower gels etc you know the thing and the stuff we get throughout the year is what we like to have anyway so it wouldn't be special just because we got it for Christmas. It's taken the whole strain out of buying something just for buyings sake for us. And I for one am so bliddy relieved. My kids have grown up they've had the sacks full of toys now I don't have to do it..... bah humbug lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know what makes me a little sad? I'll see something and it will be the PERFECT gift... for someone with whom we don't exchange presents.

I can't tell you how often I've seen something and thought, "OH GOSH!!! THAT'd be FABULOUS for ...."

Why can't we just buy what we know would be perfect for someone and if we want them to have it, give it to them? No strings, no expectations of a reciprocal gift...

I do take time to consider what my "gift list" people would like, and try to select things that reflect that. If I simply have no clue what so ever, I default to a book store gift certificate, or a US Savings bond...

Herself and I won't be exchanging gifts this year. The economy, and all that. But we'll still have each other, and cook a wonderful dinner for those who care to join us.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I really have a problem with the "no thought" gifts. What's wrong with people? Are we not buying gifts for them because we care and possibly love them?

Sure, I understand, maybe you don't know exactly what to get then, yes, a nice little gift card works well...hopefully you know them well enough to choose which store the card should come from. If they don't camp, fish, or hunt, why would Cabelas be a good idea?

My aunt is still disturbed that her husband of over 14 years bought her panda socks one year....she only wears white socks and is definitely not into panda bears.

And goodness sake, don't buy a gift because you like it and want others to like it. That's the reason we all have different likes and dislikes, so that we're not all rushing out to buy the fourth season of MASH. (That being said, I do adore MASH...Alan Alda is the best).

And one more thing...okay folks, we know when there was no thought. Don't think we have been fooled by the fancy smancy paper and bows. No amount of ribbon will disguise the fact that you bought the gift last night around 2am at a drug store.

Okay, I'm finished.....I think.

Post Thanks / Like

That reminds me of the year my brother started his Christmas shoping at 6 PM on Christmas Eve! You wouldn't believe the gifts that year!

Mine was a dart board! I have NO hand to eye coordination OR depth perception (watching me parallel park is interesting) so it was a particularly amusing gift!

That's my brother though... kind of a lovable sort of goofy guy...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes me forever to find the right present for someone, I love giving presents, and part of it is finding just the right thing.

I do get fed up though because every year I get asked what I would like - now I'm an open book, so long as it's not from the Body Shop (I'm allergic to the stuff) I would think I was easy to buy for

Chris has just been asked by Catherine what the girls can get me :rolleyes008:

Chris' mum and dad used to ask, now they just give us money it bugs me a little bit because no thought has gone into it, I could understand if it was just me, but Chris is their son, so you would think they would have some idea. On the other hand they are so difficult to buy for but I always try and get them something I think they will like.

Chris is difficult because if he wants something he tends to go and buy it and before you say it Keith he is NOT having the 7D for Christmas

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveann, post: 178427
    a bread maker maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    i seem to recieve gift lists from people n family members in november and i file them straight away in the wb(waste bin) ,I buy the gifts I want to give and I spend a while finding the ones I want.its part of the fun for me.If the gifts arent liked i just knock that person off my list next year its as simple as that.for children in the family i always buy books and put money into there bank accounts for when they go to college.the gifts i am giving there are the gift of time with there parents (when reading the books together) and the gift of knowledge(money saved is quite a bit now so can afford to go to college).
    I also dont buy gifts in the hope of recieving gifts back ,thats not what the season is to me is all about the giving not the recieveing
    charlie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast