Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on getting my DW a laptop for Christmas.
    She would use it primarily for her card making projects etc. although I would also "borrow" it from time to time, especially on holiday.

Thanks to the mounting pressure [especially from Keith and Tom], I reckon that the time has come to finally join the "Mac" crowd.

This will be our first laptop so any suggestions on which one to go for?

Post Thanks / Like
    YAY

Well there are a few options, to try and simplify it a bit though I reckon the most likely for you are:-

macbook (white)
    macbook pro 13"

with an outside glance at the macbook pro 15/17

Now, the macbook white plastic version is as I understand it, their best selling mac ever. It's the cheapest laptop they have and yet can do everything most people would ever want/need. I bought one for mum and she loves it as far as I can tell. Certainly uses it all the time and has never caused a single problem. So, that's an easy and perfectly valid choice. Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook - The 799 notebook, completely redesigned.

HOWEVER for just a few more small notes, you can get the macbook pro 13". Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family. Now they didn't used to do this option it's fairly recent but it's a way to get those few better features of the pro range for hardly any more money! It has a FireWire port, an SD Card slot for photos, a backlit keyboard, a quarter-gigabyte more clock speed, and a built-in battery claimed to go up to seven hours between recharges. So I think for the 50 difference in price (30 today in the sale), this is the one to go for.

I have to mention the 15" and 17" macbook pros. The 13" screen is slightly small for me although the portability is wonderful, so many years ago I began buying the 15" macbook pro (powerbooks in those days). For me it strikes the right balance between portability and screen size. *HOWEVER* mum thinks it's far too big and prefers her macbook so each to their own. The 17" of course is like carrying around a desktop monitor with you and people often dismiss it BUT if you mainly use it in the house and only occasionally take it travelling, it's a brilliant way to get a full mac with great resolution in a portable package.

OK hope that helps, my suggestion is the 13" macbook pro with a nod to the 15" which is my favourite of all time.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! Thanks for that detailed post Keith. [At least I would appear to know what I`m talking about when I venture into the shop! ]
    I assume the outlet at the Trafford Centre would be the first port of call?

I reckon I`ll have a close look at the Macbook Pro 13" then.

Just a point though. As our digital cameras use flash cards, is there such a thing as a sd/flash card convertor? I.e. a piece of hardware that I plug my flash card into and then put it into the sd card slot.
    This is useful to know anyhow because our recently acquired tv has an sd slot which so far I`ve been unable to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 178835
    Absolutely

Just a point though. As our digital cameras use flash cards, is there such a thing as a sd/flash card convertor? I.e. a piece of hardware that I plug my flash card into and then put it into the sd card slot.
    This is useful to know anyhow because our recently acquired tv has an sd slot which so far I`ve been unable to use.
    Do you know, I looked for one recently for exactly the same reason, tv SD slot, but couldn't immediately find one. Doesn't mean there ISNT one, but they all tend to be the other way around sadly :/

It's no huge problem for the mac, you can just use a USB CF adapter but I agree, it'd be good to use the SD slots!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Terry,

I can only echo what Keith said. With the following proviso.

I of course, have the 17" Macbook Pro. I couldn't live with a smaller screen. Carol has my older Macbook. An aluminum enclosure one but pre-Intel processors. Her's is the 15" model.

From my perspective, I find the 13" screens almost too small to be usable. Granted, they're "cute" and for someone who's just doing email and surfing the web, they're probably adequate. However, knowing what your DW want's to do with it, I would really opt for the 15" screen. I just think she (and you) would be happier if you didn't have to spend so much time with the scroll bar going back and forth.

Just a thought. The best way to be sure I would think is to try them both in the Apple store. If the 13" will work for you, great. But try them both out to see which you think would be better.

Tom (... ... we did it, Keith!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom.

[Ok hands up, you and Keith have won in the end!
    I hope that you both don`t forget to get your commission from Apple! ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 178835
    WOW! Thanks for that detailed post Keith. [At least I would appear to know what I`m talking about when I venture into the shop! ]

I reckon I`ll have a close look at the Macbook Pro 13" then.

I'd go with keith's 15" one I think apple have only kept the 13" plastic one because the design is so popular. Personally, when you are spending that much, you'd be daft not to go for the extra 50 for the 13" for the macbook pro. However, the 15" would be best for designing We do use 13" ones in school and when the resolution is set then they are good for design but if I was buying I reckon it'd be the 15" Plus you get the 'multi-touch' track/mousepad

I feel as though I need to buy a new mac to keep up with the crowd Do you use a CF card? I think I have a spare reader I got free with a CF card if you want it?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 178850
    I'd go with keith's 15" one
    You don`t really want to know what I COULD say to that Josh!
    Thanks for the info. though....15" it is.

Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 178850
    Do you use a CF card? I think I have a spare reader I got free with a CF card if you want it?
    Yep, both of our cameras use CF cards Josh.
    I have a reader for the CF cards Josh thanks but I would really love a "gizmo" that I could put my CF card into and then put this into the SD slot in the tv and the [yet to be sourced] laptop.

Post Thanks / Like

Keith that has to be the quickest post ever you must have started typig within seconds of Terys post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 178858
    You don`t really want to know what I COULD say to that Josh!
    Thanks for the info. though....15" it is.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast