Thread: Pre-trip thoughts

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I'm going to Disney in January with the parents as an adult. I haven't been in WDW with my parents since I was in high school (except mom and I went by ourselves last Jan.) so, it should be a pretty interesting experience. But fun!

I booked a room at PO Riverside. They're still running room discounts for FL residents so, I win on that one! $94. We're only going to stay Sunday night (the 11th). The plan is to wake up early Sun. morning and drive over (sorry, dad. No church). Check into the hotel, and then hop on the bus to Epcot. This is what I generally do and it really works. I can make the drive over now in an hour since I know exactly where all the hotels are (and where all the cops sit on I-4, HA!).

I picked PO Riverside because my mom didn't want to stay in a value resort (those rooms were only $50-something). She preferred a moderate. I looked at pictures of FQ but, there are too many clowns displayed for my taste (not a fan of clowns). I had a pleasant experience when I stayed at POR in August. Plus, I think my parents would enjoy Riverside more, the decor, the plantation feel...They did Mississippi River cruises on paddleboats a few times. Had a friend that worked on the American Queen.

I'm paying for the room and then my parents will pay for the food. I think it'll probably work out to be about the same amount of money. Plus they'll have to pay for their park tickets, which aren't cheap. But, my mom called me from the Walmart in Topeka (when I was coincidentally in the Walmart in Port Orange) and told me she just bought a Disney gift card and the offer on it was if you put $100 on the card, $10 would be added free! I asked if she called to make sure that was correct and she said yes so, WHEE! I guess that's what we'll be using during our stay.

Anyway, Sunday we're going to hit Epcot. One of my really good friends has convinced my mom that she needs to try a limoncello. I'm not so sure about that one. I'm like, mom, maybe I can get one and you can taste it. Amy also told her she needs a hot wine in Germany and a Strongbow in England and then my mom ALWAYS wants a pink champagne in France. I'm like, dang mom! You're going to get tanked!

If she's not too hungover (just kidding), we're going to go to Animal Kingdom on Monday. I figured since they close at 5pm, AK would be a good choice to get back to POR and by the time we get back to the car, miss most (hopefully) of the 5pm Orlando traffic. If not, we can stop and eat dinner somewhere.

The parents have never been to AK, so they are very excited (well, my mom is. My dad will be excited once he gets there). I predict that my mom will be out of control and be all over the place, and my dad will freak out about how expensive everything is, but will have a good time, anyway.

I'll let you all know how it goes!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good plan in the works! I hope your Mom enjoys AK.

So, they live in Kansas, your parents? (Reference to Topeka made me ask that).

There really is no way around I4 when coming or going to Port Orange (I travel your way often for work) that is sensible. I've taken other routes and sheesh! They took forever.

If you want to try a nice place to eat and don't mind downtown Orlando (on your return trip) you could stop by Ceviche. It's a great tapas restaurant. They also do a couple of paellas, but their strength is there incredible tapas menu. It's on Church St. directly across from the main entrance to the old Church St. Station. You'd park under the I4 over pass and it's literally steps from there.

Anyway... if you wanted. :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, man. My mom is already driving me nuts. She wouldn't listen to me the first time that she wouldn't get a discount on tickets so, she called around everywhere and then told me she couldn't get a discount. (DUH! Thanks for listening, Ma!) I think it's because she didn't have anything to do today. They (State of Kansas) had snow day because of the amount of snowfall and ice. I had to call and brag to her that it was 87 here.

Yes, I am originally from Kansas (my parents are still there).

Thanks about the tip for Ceviche. I don't think my parents would care for it, but I would really like to try it sometime. I've never been to the Church St. area before. I need to go one of these days...

As for I-4, I've never really run into a problem (knocks on wood) except whe it's rained really hard. Sometimes I get off at Sanford on 46 (I think it is) and then catch SR415 up to Port Orange (Tomoka Farms Rd. runs right past my neighborhood). I've also gotten off on 44 several times (headed toward New Smyrna) and then cut up Tomoka Farms. It ends up taking me about the same amount of time as taking I-4 just because I have to get off of I-4 and connect to 95 and go south to get to Port Orange.

Anyway, that was a lot of useless information. HAH! Sorry. TMI.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the parents just landed at the Orlando Airport. I just got done cleaning the house (good enough...HA!) They'll be here in about an hour and then the fun begins...WHEEEE!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, cripes! Mom just called me because dad wanted her to go on the FL Turnpike to "save time." AAAAAHHHH!!!! NOOO!!! They'll end up in Miami!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they get there? Good luck and have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, tomorrow we're leaving here at 7am sharp for Disney! Freezing weather or not! First stop, PO Riverside to "check in" (I already did On-line check in). Then I have to get the parents tickets at the Conceirge and then we'll be off to Epcot! It'll be my dad's first visit to the 'Cot in ~12 years (ma was down here last Feb.) Then Monday we'll go to Animal Kingdom. Hopefully the animals are out despite the cold! Trip Report upon my return! See ya real soon!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a wonderful trip.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a great trip, can't wait to read what happens
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good heavens!!! The turnpike to get to YOU??? That's seriously bad directions!

Yep, it's freezing, but I'll imaging it's still fun to be a WDW. We've tought about going down for a walk just to be nosey to see how things are, but didn't want to get caught up in Marathon traffic...

Plus, we're cold wimps. :D :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle