Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet our new feathery family members!

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you might want to see our new family members <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_1 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 18.75pt; HEIGHT: 21.75pt; mso-wrap-style: square" o:spid="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotismilies/wiggle.gif"><v:imagedata o:title="wiggle" src="file:///C:\Users\Debs\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

We have had an Eglu Cube, which is a nice trendy chicken house, for a while now as it was our intention to rescue some ex-battery hens. However, we have found it really difficult to get hold of some - apparently there are a lot more people keeping chickens nowadays and adopting them, and they are becoming as rare as...erm....hen's teeth! <v:shape id=Picture_x0020_2 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt; mso-wrap-style: square" o:spid="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/images/smilies/General/biggrin.gif"><v:imagedata o:title="biggrin" src="file:///C:\Users\Debs\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><v:shape id=Picture_x0020_3 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt; mso-wrap-style: square" o:spid="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotismilies/rolleyes3.gif"><v:imagedata o:title="rolleyes3" src="file:///C:\Users\Debs\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image003.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

So yesterday we decided to stop waiting and went to a local poultry keeper who came highly recommended and chose some lovely 18 week old sweeties to come home with us! We got 7 hens and a cockerel (we don't have any close neighbours! We chose all of the ladies from the same pen so that there was more chance of a happy harmonious flock.<v:shape id=Picture_x0020_4 style="VISIBILITY: visible; WIDTH: 22.5pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; mso-wrap-style: square" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotismilies/thumbsup.gif"><v:imagedata o:title="thumbsup" src="file:///C:\Users\Debs\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image004.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Arriving home <o:p></o:p>

Now, we had a system for naming them....we named one in connection with each of us, so this is our cockerel Rico surveying his new harem (named to pair with our cat Lola...all together now ”Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl...at the Copa, Copacabana....His name was Rico, he wore a diamond....”)

<o:p></o:p>

This is Rosemary, who was named to continue the herb theme started with
    Sorrel Dog. She has a green sheen to her feathers so it suits her

Sybil, who was named to pair with Basil Puppy :D . She also has the same black and brown colours as Basil

The lovely Elizabeth, partnered with Mr Darcy, who also has the same colours as him

Meggie, who is named for Mr Deb's dear departed Mum

And Edie, who is named for my lovely late Nanna

Last but not least....well, we’re a bit stuck for a name. We thought maybe a Christmas theme. Maybe Olive (the other reindeer :D ) or Holly?

They started eating straightaway, and pecking at the grass which they love. They have been raised in a barn so haven’t been outside yet and were very interested in it. They have to stay in their pen (which is more than large enough for them) for at least a week before we start letting them out, and we will wait until Basil stops getting too excited by them before we do. And they should start laying an a couple of weeks so we will hopefully have lovely eggs for breakfast!! They are comfortable with being handled, and their feathers are lovely and soft. We are hoping they will start to come to us when called too. They will get bigger combs when they are a little older and start laying their eggs.

Settled in their new home

Post Thanks / Like
    aw they look very healthy and happy :)

Post Thanks / Like
    They are gorgeous. I'd love some chickens bu unfortunatley I've taken up half the garden with our torts so it's a no-go area! LOL I like their names too! Just think of all the lovely eggs! Will they be pet animals?

btw.. I'm so jealous of all you're land! You don't wnat a few torts do you?! LOL
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also love your area!

I'm guessing since you have named them, you wont be eating them.

Post Thanks / Like
    What pretty birds!!! I love chickens. I used to keep some when I lived waaaay out in the country. It was nice to have fresh eggs!

I love the names for them. They all seem to suit them quite well. I think for the last one, the Christmassy one? I'd go with Ivy. :D :D :D Just because it rather goes with the herbal theme of the others, the plant theme, and is holiday oriented too! :D

Thanks for sharing them with us!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with Polly to match Basil and Sybil.

But, then, I'm sick that way.

Tom (... forgive him, he's from Barcelona. Virtually untrainable!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely colors!!!

Congratulations on your new feathered friends!

Post Thanks / Like
    My grandpa used to raise chickens when I was little. They were lots of fun to play with.

They are lovely!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 181027
    They are gorgeous. I'd love some chickens bu unfortunatley I've taken up half the garden with our torts so it's a no-go area! LOL I like their names too! Just think of all the lovely eggs! Will they be pet animals?

btw.. I'm so jealous of all you're land! You don't wnat a few torts do you?! LOL
    Yes Josh, they'll be pets, and for eggs. We're waiting excitedly for our first one! Plenty of room for torts too :D

Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 181028
    I also love your area!

I'm guessing since you have named them, you wont be eating them.
    Eat them?????? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 181029
    What pretty birds!!! I love chickens. I used to keep some when I lived waaaay out in the country. It was nice to have fresh eggs!

I love the names for them. They all seem to suit them quite well. I think for the last one, the Christmassy one? I'd go with Ivy. :D :D :D Just because it rather goes with the herbal theme of the others, the plant theme, and is holiday oriented too! :D

Thanks for sharing them with us!
    That's it Tink! Ivy it is, it ticks all the boxes! (Though Tom's suggestion was funny!). When I let them out when it gets light I shall let her know she has a name!

It rained very heavily all day yesterday, not a good first day for them, but they pottered about nicely. They took themselves to bed last night as it got dark, so they have learned where home is very fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess Josh asked my question. I was wondering if they were for eggs or for a future dinner. Never really gave much thought to pet chickens but then I grew up in the suburbs and not where we had any land to speak of.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast