Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's that season of sharing, so let's share with each other!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what I mean Rosie! Mama always made what she called, "my Christmas cakes." They were an approximation of fruit cake, but only had nuts and raisins as no one would eat those icky citron fruited ones.

She coat them in honey (with more of those non-pariels...). Not fruitcake mind, but an acquired taste none the less.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    God Bless my grandmother, she was a wonderful cook but both sides of the family was predominately Irish with a dash of Russian and a hint of Wales! Does not bode well for creative cooking She made one dish that I had nightmares about, to this day I can't even look at a lima bean without feeling ill!! Baked lima beans in this brown sugar tomatoe gunk. It was truly awful, I would gag before the fork even got close. GROSS!!!! Tink, we always had scalloped potatoes on Christmas Eve and a cranberry pineapple jello mold with whipped cream. Candied sweet potatoes, fresh green beans and carrots with honey butter. When I got married, I took over the holidays on Christmas eve and Christmas Day Brunch. Now that everyone is grown, our Christmas Eve is very quiet with just my Mom and brother. Our big day is Dec.30th when all our children are home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie0610, post: 181106
    I like it Tink!

Here's one for you- My mom always makes pistachio pudding, the green pudding with marshmallows and nuts. To this day the whole family calls it Green Gunk. We call it like we see it!
    AHHHHHHHH!!!! Green stuff!!! I am RELATED to all of you people!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie0610, post: 181107
    I might be stopping by for Christmas dinner! :) What are you about 2 hours away??
    hmm..maybe more like 3, but it would be worth it :D You are more than welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Christmas memories. I too remember the Midnight Mass, though I have long since left the Catholic Church following a major disagreement with an Air Force Catholic Chaplain. I remember leaving our then tiny little church on Christmas Day following mass and looking up in the sky at what we believed to be the Star of Bethlehem and hoping that it would snow. On Christmas morn we would be allowed to go to our stockings but presents had to wait until after mom fixed breakfast. I'm not even sure how we used to fit the Christmas tree in our little house. Christmas dinner was almost always the same as Thanksgiving, turkey with all the trimmings. We rarely went anywhere for Christmas but I do remember one Christmas being at Nana's house in Western Massachusetts.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so very relieved to say that we DIDN'T have that Green Stuff Gunk!

I've remembered something else. For years and years and years, we put the tree up on Christmas Eve. That's no longer the case, but it once was (I wonder why? ). We always had a real tree. I'm pretty sure my parents still do... at least last I knew it was a real tree. The tree topper was a silver "cloud" with an angel in the center. A small light bulb behind the angel heated the air and a little fan turned making different colors on the "cloud" and the angel's wings. It was pretty elaborate.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 181148
    I am so very relieved to say that we DIDN'T have that Green Stuff Gunk!

I've remembered something else. For years and years and years, we put the tree up on Christmas Eve. That's no longer the case, but it once was (I wonder why? ). We always had a real tree. I'm pretty sure my parents still do... at least last I knew it was a real tree. The tree topper was a silver "cloud" with an angel in the center. A small light bulb behind the angel heated the air and a little fan turned making different colors on the "cloud" and the angel's wings. It was pretty elaborate.
    It was tradition back then that Santa put up the tree I think Tink. We had a real tree too and it always had a large underground village with a train. It took my Mom and Dad hours to put up and all after we went to bed! I carried on the tradition of the village ( not on Christmas Eve though) It is pretty elaborate with a fishig pier on one side of the tree that reminds us of Maine. This will be the first year ever that I won't have my village or a 9 foot tree. The electrician has not been able to fit us in to repair the damage from a week ago when I blew the whole back quarter of the house out! I know no one knows how sad I really am not to have it this year for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 181089
    for dessert I will make Welsh Christmas pudding for Dh
    Shelly, what is Welsh Pudding?

Wow Tink, that angel sounds very nice! Its lovely reading about everyones traditions
    I started to jot down my Christmas memories of traditions, and so far only got to the night before Christmas! So, Ill post them so far...
    Every year on a Sunday in October we used to help Mam cook the Christmas cake of the rich, dark traditional fruit variety! We used to each give the cake a stir and make a wish. The cake would be in the oven for hours, and the smell of it cooking was delicious, and a signal that Christmas was coming albeit still a long way off! The cake would be wrapped tightly in a couple of cloths and tin foil, and put into a cool larder. Every Sunday after that we would unwrap it, turn it upside down, prick some holes in with a knitting needle, and drizzle some (well, a lot!) brandy or rum onto it. The week before Christmas we would make a big deal of putting on the marzipan (almond paste) and royal icing, always making sure the icing was in peaks so it looked like drifts of snow. We would place the Christmas cake ornaments on there to make a little scene (I remember a Santa, a sleigh, reindeer and a penquin!) When the icing was dry we would place a festive cake frill around it and it would take pride of place on the table. The cake is still a huge part of Christmas for me, and now that we are grown up Mam makes smaller cakes for my brother, sister and I.
    Putting up the decorations every year was something we all did together and I loved it. There were garlands for the ceiling, and we would blow up balloons to pin up too. My siblings and I would make paper chains to go around the rest of the house. Then wed unpack the ornaments to go on the tree...I still remember so many of them... lovebird with spectacular feathers, the beautiful angel on top of the tree, and a red glass pinecone with snow on its tips. When I grew up and left home I saw a pinecone that was exactly the same and bought it. It still goes on my tree to this day.
    Christmas Eve we would be at home, and we would get into our nightclothes and prepare for Santa, We would cut into the lovely cake and leave him a big slice (strangely enough my Mam loved Christmas cake :D ), leave the nicest mince pie (with icing sugar snow sprinked on top), pour him a liberal glass of port, and choose the nicest carrot for Rudolph. We would hang up our stockings on the mantelpiece they would always be a mans sock as they were a lot larger! Then wed go to bed and it would seem like I could never get to sleep, trying to hear Santa outside. Strangely enough, he always used to arrive just after Id dropped off. Except for one night when I was 4 years old....I heard a commotion in the street outside and someone calling my name. I went to the window and Mam came into my room to open it. Outside there were snowflakes falling from the sky, and under my window was my Uncle Terry, Mams brother, and a few of his friends (looking back, they were a bit merry!). He had come home on leave from the army the day before and this was the first time I had seen him snce he got back. He shouted Hello to me, and said that Santa had just passed overhead and dropped him a present to give to me. Mam ran down the stairs to him and brought a large pink bear to me, and Terry wished me Merry Christmas. He went off down the street with his friends and I went to bed with Coochy Bear, who became my constant companion for years.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>Wow...Id forgotten I remembered so much! :D

Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful memory Deb, where did you grow up?

Post Thanks / Like
    How beautiful are these memories! Thank you all so much for sharing them.

Tinkfan, I am sorry you aren't having your tree. :( It's hard not to have something that means so much to you.

I remember my first Christmas tree on my own. I had bought a strand (as in ONE) of mini lights some months before for 50 cents. I bought the tree (no stand!) and had no decorations. I used a cut up paper tube wrapped with paper for the decorations, along with the one strand of mini lights... some kinda Charlie Brown tree FOR SURE! LOL. I stuffed the tree into a large tin can and tied it to the wall. I'm telling you, what a time.

First days on one's own... memorable, and sometimes for good reasons!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast