Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's that season of sharing, so let's share with each other!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 181089

One special thing we have this year is Dh's grandfather's old sleigh bells!! When my Mother-in-law was little she used to hear Santa's sleigh bells on Christmas eve outside the house. It was her Dad running around the house like a nut, and now they have been passed down to my Dh for our kids. I'm so excited about it! Other than that things are pretty simple.
    i love this Shelly!!! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 181183
    How beautiful are these memories! Thank you all so much for sharing them.

Tinkfan, I am sorry you aren't having your tree. :( It's hard not to have something that means so much to you.

I remember my first Christmas tree on my own. I had bought a strand (as in ONE) of mini lights some months before for 50 cents. I bought the tree (no stand!) and had no decorations. I used a cut up paper tube wrapped with paper for the decorations, along with the one strand of mini lights... some kinda Charlie Brown tree FOR SURE! LOL. I stuffed the tree into a large tin can and tied it to the wall. I'm telling you, what a time.

First days on one's own... memorable, and sometimes for good reasons!
    But wasn't your first place the best?! Mine was early ugly and I didn't have 2 cents to rub together, my first tree looked like a bush! Not the proud tradition of a douglas fir that we always had at home! But it was mine and I had to tie it to the wall too! I believe the ornaments were from Woolworth's and ones that I had made myself. Lord, I haven't thought of that place for years', I'm getting old Tink!! That was back in 1978!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 181183
    How beautiful are these memories! Thank you all so much for sharing them.

Tinkfan, I am sorry you aren't having your tree. :( It's hard not to have something that means so much to you.

I remember my first Christmas tree on my own. I had bought a strand (as in ONE) of mini lights some months before for 50 cents. I bought the tree (no stand!) and had no decorations. I used a cut up paper tube wrapped with paper for the decorations, along with the one strand of mini lights... some kinda Charlie Brown tree FOR SURE! LOL. I stuffed the tree into a large tin can and tied it to the wall. I'm telling you, what a time.

First days on one's own... memorable, and sometimes for good reasons!
    You know Tink when I think back on my first Christmas totally on my own I don't remember even having a Christmas tree. I think I went without one often while I was single.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 181176
    What a wonderful memory Deb, where did you grow up?
    Thanks I grew up in the Noth East of England, a place called Sunderland. My family still live there

I love Shelly's handed-down sleighbells too, that is so very lovely :)

The first year I was on my own I went to Woolworth's and bought a tree...looked like a lot of green bottlebrushes together and I kept it for a good few years! It had a stand though, so I didn't have to tie it to the wall!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 181191
    Thanks I grew up in the Noth East of England, a place called Sunderland. My family still live there

I love Shelly's handed-down sleighbells too, that is so very lovely :)

The first year I was on my own I went to Woolworth's and bought a tree...looked like a lot of green bottlebrushes together and I kept it for a good few years! It had a stand though, so I didn't have to tie it to the wall!!
    Iv ebeen to Sunderland!

Well... to the Sunderland University Graduation... but it WAS in Sunderland hahahaha... and the reception was inside a Stadium... like a reception hall inside a Stadium

ok.. way off topic.. just thought Id mention it hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari, post: 181194
    Iv ebeen to Sunderland!

Well... to the Sunderland University Graduation... but it WAS in Sunderland hahahaha... and the reception was inside a Stadium... like a reception hall inside a Stadium

ok.. way off topic.. just thought Id mention it hahaha
    When??? Why?? How odd Mari!!! Was it the football stadium?

Post Thanks / Like
    Deb my mum's family come from Sunderland. :D

Anyway one time my parents bought a real tree that was so lopsided that my dad had to nail it to the dining room wall to stop it tipping over and crushing the dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad's favourite christmas memory (of me, of course)!

When I was about six or seven they got me a scalectrix (race car) set for christmas. It was a MASSIVE box. Knowing I'd want to play with it straight away, and not wanting to faf about on christmas morning, dad set the circuit up in the back/dining room in a massive x shape, turned the lights off and closed the door. He then wrapped the massive box - I guess he anticipated me asking where the actual track and cars were, and to be hugely upset with an empty box for christmas.

I opened the box, and noticing it was empty, just said "oh well, santa has so much to do he must have forgotten to put it in the box. I'm sure when he notices he'll come back. Mommy, do you want help tidying up while I wait for him?"

Post Thanks / Like
    My first Christmas memory??? Hmmmm..... I was maybe 4 years old and living with my parents and baby brother in Chicago, IL. We lived in an apartment building, several floors up. One of my dad's older brothers lived next door in the next apartment building with his wife and family.

Mom needed a pair of stockings (this was way back before pantyhose) and sent me to my aunt and uncle's apartment to get one. My aunt, always the epitome of elegance, had one of those aluminum Christmas trees with satin ornaments - all in the same color (I want to say they were red). A revolving light on the floor turned the tree from silver to blue, then to red, etc. I had never seen anything SO beautiful in my life! I ran back home with the stockings, and for days I regaled my parents with stories about the fabulous silver tree! Funny the things that impress small children, huh?
    Donna
    (aka wdwgrandma)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari, post: 181075
    For us Xmas has always been the most important holiday of the year...

When we were little we would alway have dinner at my grandma's.. she was the BEST COOK EVER! and always made way too many "traditional dishes" to count...

After she died, Xmas eve dinner was moved to my parents house, and although now its not every year, at least every 2 years my aunts and uncles and cousins try to make it, so it ends up being 25-40 people :)

and after dinner we would go home and wait for Santa.

Before going to bed, my mom would gather us around the Nativity set and we would lie Baby Jesus down between his parents, say a prayer and go to bed...

Santa arrived at our house.... and I remember rushing down before 6am to find toys with our shoes on top of them :).... and then rushing up the stairs to wake up my parents who somehow NEVER seemed as excited about our presents hahahahahahahaha...

And around 7:30, both my grandmothers would call to let us know that Baby Jesus had left some presents for us at their houses :)

Then on the 25th we would all have lunch together again, whatever was left from Xmas Eve...

And now that Im married, we have made pprimise to try to ALWAYS wake up home on the 25th, no matter where we spend Xmas eve, because I just want to enjoy as much of the magic as possible just US....
    I know it's not Christmassy... but in Mexico do you eat the grapes with the chime of the bell? I remember reading about it in our Spanish lessons but I can't recall whether it was a tradition that Mexican's took part in too

We usually all pile into my Grandad's little flat but since he passed away we all go for a family meal in the days before christmas (but this time it'll be in January) and then see each other on boxing day. On christmas day generally we stay in, this year Niamh will be going to see her Dad for an hour or two (more so for her granparent's sake... I actually like them.. unlike her father ) and then Christmas night, we have family friends come round (who came on our trip to florida in '05) and we generally watch a bit of T.V and have nibbles etc.

This year, Jo (from Hong Kong) is in England at university so she's coming to our house on Boxing day and we're taking her to the trafford centre (we must be mad but she was really dissapointed we didn't visit when she took part in the exchange) and then she is staying over until she gets her train to London on the 27th
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast