Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: good morning/evening all from pontefract england

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! I love your Christmas scene "smilie" Tiggers Golf!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 181532
    OK, you've got me on that one Terry. What is a Brass Monkey temperature?
    Apparently the saying dates back to the swashbuckling days of yore when the cannon balls on the ships deck were stacked by each cannon in a brass ring called a monkey.
    Hence when the weather was very cold it was "cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey".
    This is [I am told] the true origin of the saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense... harkens back to my thought that it originated with the Navy.

It's only our 'modern' day connotation that makes it off color. :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 181555
    Apparently the saying dates back to the swashbuckling days of yore when the cannon balls on the ships deck were stacked by each cannon in a brass ring called a monkey.
    Hence when the weather was very cold it was "cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey".
    This is [I am told] the true origin of the saying.

wow i never knew that but use this piece of info to its fullest and make myself look very clever amongst my friends now how on earth do i work it into a conversation.
    back to snow and we have just had /having a new falling and it looks so pretty .dh has had a bit of a set back today n had to go back into surgery and have his wound on his left leg cleaned.he is really down as he too loves the snow so as ive only just got in im sat catching up and researching on here and have given up the ghost and ordered a nice cheese n spinach pizza with a healthy side order of deep fried brie n redcurrant jelly i know i should be cooking but i simply havent got the time or energy. the boys are at there uncles (he took them paint balling) and has had them working in the garage this evening mending one of his project cars (he not paying them instead buying them dollars for holiday)

would it be daft n childish if i went out n played in the snow
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to hear about your DH's leg. Having it debrieded like that is NOT a pleasant thing. I hope he heals better now and quickly. Will he be home for Christmas?

You go out and enjoy the snow! Sounds like you need a bit of a break, and what better way to de-stress than have a good old romp in the snow?!

Now, tell me about that brie? :D :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 181702
    I'm sorry to hear about your DH's leg. Having it debrieded like that is NOT a pleasant thing. I hope he heals better now and quickly. Will he be home for Christmas?

You go out and enjoy the snow! Sounds like you need a bit of a break, and what better way to de-stress than have a good old romp in the snow?!

Now, tell me about that brie? :D :D

unfortunately his isnt home yet but me n the boys have had a wonderful xmas dinner with hi in the hospital (honestly it was delicious) they think he gonna be in for a good few week yet so ive had to buy my own gift from him this year but at least this is the year he chose to go mad n get me lots which is why im sat here now drinking a very nice chateau neuf du pap (sp) and using a lovely new laptop. my brother and his wife have taken the boys for the night (they didnt put up much of a fight think they looking forward to the spoiling they going to get ) and im just having some more me time. I have baked a few goodies to take to the ward tomorrow and then its over to brothers for a party followed by the age old game of blow the airbed up whilst slightly inhebriated (drunk)
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh. I'm sorry to hear he is not nearly able to come home yet. That's quite an infection he has then! :(

Good that you were able to enjoy the holiday though. LOVE the wine! :D :D

Hope all went well over the rest of the holiday for you.

Take care now and keep us posted on how he is doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope that DH is doing much better now and will be home soon I think I could use some of that wine right about now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12