Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's funny this ain't St Lucia Trip report Day 3,4 & 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 3,4 &,5
    Shop till we drop
    So were we up at 3.00am no of course not try 2.30am!!! Couldn't get back to sleep either so I got up and put kettle on for DW and the coffee maker for me, oh I do love the smell from a coffee maker it is one of the things that always remind me of Florida back home. I also love the first morning (not the 2.30am bit mind you) there is something really special about it I am not sure why but perhaps because it sort of sinks in you a actually here. Anyway we get up and unpack only a few things as we will be moving to the Beach club in 3 more nights so it is pointless to unpack anymore. And as it turns out to be the theme for this whole trip “time passes quickly” and before we know it we have collected my DM and we are on our way to Friendlys for breakfast. We get there at 8.30am expecting it to be quite busy at that time of day but there is only two others in there we have the whole place almost to ourselves. We are warmly greeted and shown to a booth and we opt for 3 super sizzlin combo's 2 orange juices and one hot tea.
    I didn't take a picture of the breakie but here is the official Friendlys picture

The breakfast is very good and goes down easily the orange juice is a different story. In the past at Friendlys we have had nice freshly squeezed juice this however was defiantly out of a carton oh well it must be a sign of the times it still tasted ok but in the land of oranges you expect the proper stuff
    After that it was off to wallmart for some supplies like Cokes, chips and cookies also in the past we have really enjoyed their Christmas section but this time it is disappointing it just does not feel like Christmas at all. We go back to the Rosen to drop it all off and then it is off to Premium outlet to find some bargains.

Wow the prices have really gone up since we were last here but DW bought 1 pair of Clarks Roman sandles for $37 and a pair of Clarks shoes for $28 so about £42 for both pairs and I got a pair of Sketchers trainers for $22. As always in Florida diamonds and gold are dirt cheap but as this was the black weekend sales they were slashing even more. DW had told me she wanted a pink sapphire ring for Christmas so we were on the lookout for one. We found one she liked and what a bargain it was a pink sapphire and diamond ring reduced in the sale from $1000 to $500but because it was black weekend it was down to $300 (about £200) so we snapped that up.

So over the next couple of days it was pretty much of the same shopping and eating and resting. One thing we did notice was how much has closed down on Idrive especially at the north end quite a few empty shops around and the whole area is really looking run down which is a real shame and TBH we will not be returning on our next trip. Also IMHO since the Pointe Orlando has been redeveloped it has lost some of it's charm it seemed soulless to me. Times must be hard though because Lulu's bait shack has gone bust and is empty again a real shame. Just one final point on our stay at the Rosen plaza is about the staff there, they are some of the most miserable I have ever come across in Florida rarely smiling or showing any sign of courtesy to us not the end of the world I know but it costs nothing and makes all the difference. Ah well never mind tomorrow we move on to Disney's Beach club.

Day 3,4 and 5 DONE

Disney's Beach Club paradise found!

Quality inn international :- 91,92.
    Quality inn plaza :- 93,95,
    Clarion plaza (now rosen plaza) :- 96,99,00
    Sheraton world :- (Married there in '97)
    Holiday inn international :- 02,04
    Wyndham Orlando :- 06
    Disney's Beach Club :- 09

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely ring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to hear about the Rosen and the staff there. Mr. Rosen is a well known philanthropic (to some extent) figure in the Orlando area. One would think his hotels would be pillars of the community instead of near flophouses on I-Drive.

The prices and items on offer in the Orlando area have indeed changed. We were in an outlet on the 23rd of this month and I was horrified (truly!) at the prices. Nearly DOUBLE that of BLOOMINGDALE'S!

I've long believed that modern day outlets are ripoffs so try not to shop there.

The ring is lovely by the way!

Looking forward to hearing how you like the BC compared to Rosen!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I have not shopped beyond the walls of disney.

Post Thanks / Like
    We aren't shoppers, so keep that in mind. However, each year around Christmas we do go to Millenia Mall specifically to cruise the high end shops like Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, etc. (Macy's too, although that isn't necessarily high end). There are usually some incredible sales designed to get you into the store.

We take advantage of those and then merrily go on our way! This year we purchased some beautiful Christmas ornaments (a blown glass garland for one).

One year we bought our Kitchen Aid mixer at some stupidly low price just for opening a charge account (which we promptly closed after the first month).

We've never been big fans of Premium Outlets but do drop by there from time to time (maybe twice a year or so) to check out the Disney outlet store (where there are some decent buys maybe every fourth or fifth visit). Nothing major though.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 182809
    Wow. I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to hear about the Rosen and the staff there. Mr. Rosen is a well known philanthropic (to some extent) figure in the Orlando area. One would think his hotels would be pillars of the community instead of near flophouses on I-Drive.

The prices and items on offer in the Orlando area have indeed changed. We were in an outlet on the 23rd of this month and I was horrified (truly!) at the prices. Nearly DOUBLE that of BLOOMINGDALE'S!

I've long believed that modern day outlets are ripoffs so try not to shop there.

The ring is lovely by the way!

Looking forward to hearing how you like the BC compared to Rosen!
    We were disappointed too! We had stayed there when it was the Clarion plaza and it was a whole different experience, we were hoping the it would be even better this time. I don't suppose it bothers them though they have so many covention goers that they have a conveyer belt of people in and out of the hotel all the time so they will never be short of guests.

I do agree about the malls but it is such a different shopping experience in the US (much more relaxed) that we are used to in the UK we just like to wander around taking it all in.

I don't think i am giving anything away by saying the Beach Club was a million miles from the Rosen lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I understand the difference in shopping in this country. I'd do the same if I were you!

I'm really happy to hear that your BC stay was a major improvement and no, you've not given anything away!

The BC is our favorite resort! (Pre-DVC days, we stayed there for our first deluxe, so that's been our favorite place ever since).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 182846
    Oh, I understand the difference in shopping in this country. I'd do the same if I were you!

I'm really happy to hear that your BC stay was a major improvement and no, you've not given anything away!

The BC is our favorite resort! (Pre-DVC days, we stayed there for our first deluxe, so that's been our favorite place ever since).
    DVC is our next big ambition One day! oh yes one day! :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant Steve! Enjoyed reading that!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Our home resort is OKW, and it's still our favorite DVC resort. However, we recently stayed at Kidani Village over in Animal Kingdom Lodge... WHAT a great place! We LOVED having the animals right outside our balcony and the pool area (although not BC at all) was wicked. We really enjoyed just lounging there with a drink!

If you get a chance to stay there, do try it out.

We want to stay at Bay Lake Towers over at the Contemporary too. We've tried all the WDW DVCs so will stay there one day too. We've done Vero Beach too.

One day we'll get up to Hilton Head, but as we are not golfers there is no real rush to go there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast