Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: quick midweek supper ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean a recipe or as a 'flavour'?

You can do all sorts. I once did red peppers stuffed with rissoto There's another idea- stuffed peppers! I've done a mushroom one, and I enjoyed it, even though I hate mushrooms. I want to make a butternut squash one Any mediteranian vegetables go well with them
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    no i meant what else do you put in with your sweet potato?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pasty pie, all the ingredieants for a pasty just in pie form, good cold for lunch boxes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 184057
    This is tasty and my family love it and it costs pennies to make... delish with crusty bread.

All in one pot and no messing about. Add the stock and water and pepper only, no salt needed. bring to a gentle simmer not a rolling boil, turn it down and let it simmer gently so no burning or scorching happens.

Packet of the cheap basic smoked bacon, cut into pieces with kitchen scissors.
    2 leeks, wash and slice, add to pot.
    6 carrots, chop and dice, add to pot.
    Pots about 6 good sized ones, peel, slice and chop into cubes, rinse under cold running water before adding to pot.
    1 small tin of peas pudding (essential) add to pot.
    2 Ham stock cubes or those new jelly things that Marco Pierre White advertises
    4 vegetable stock cubes or jellies. Add water from kettle that has boiled and is on cooling.
    Add pepper, no salt because of the bacon and stock cubes.
    Put on stove and bring to a slow simmer gently until pots are tender, won't take long about an hour or two tops.

Stir occasionally.
    You can either leave chunky or blend smoother.

Don't add anything else or take anything away, except maybe add another pack of bacon if desired. Don't use the good stuff it really isn't worth it and you won't notice the difference, plus I get a lot of good bacon cuts from these packets.
    Heh this sounds lush!! will give this a go for sure, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome, it's very tasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola DeVille, post: 184057
    This is tasty and my family love it and it costs pennies to make... delish with crusty bread.

All in one pot and no messing about. Add the stock and water and pepper only, no salt needed. bring to a gentle simmer not a rolling boil, turn it down and let it simmer gently so no burning or scorching happens.

Packet of the cheap basic smoked bacon, cut into pieces with kitchen scissors.
    2 leeks, wash and slice, add to pot.
    6 carrots, chop and dice, add to pot.
    Pots about 6 good sized ones, peel, slice and chop into cubes, rinse under cold running water before adding to pot.
    1 small tin of peas pudding (essential) add to pot.
    2 Ham stock cubes or those new jelly things that Marco Pierre White advertises
    4 vegetable stock cubes or jellies. Add water from kettle that has boiled and is on cooling.
    Add pepper, no salt because of the bacon and stock cubes.
    Put on stove and bring to a slow simmer gently until pots are tender, won't take long about an hour or two tops.

Stir occasionally.
    You can either leave chunky or blend smoother.

Don't add anything else or take anything away, except maybe add another pack of bacon if desired. Don't use the good stuff it really isn't worth it and you won't notice the difference, plus I get a lot of good bacon cuts from these packets.
    Got to agree that sounds absolutely yummmmy, i'm going to try that next week

Post Thanks / Like
    What is peas pudding?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It's like a tin of mushed cooked pressed hard lentils? I guess... if I can't get a tin of peas pudd I use a tin of mushy peas instead, but only if I can't get the pudd. Adds it to list of goose fat for Tink for next December.

Seriously I quadruple the quantities and then make two huge soup pots of it because my family just swoop on it and one big soup pot just goes. It leaves the house smelling gorgeous and my family keep asking "When is the soup ready?" every few minutes. Drives me mad lol. Really hope you enjoy it now I've bigged it up so much lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 184226
    What is peas pudding?
    Just Googled it and the third one down is the best description I think, it says it is split yellow peas cooked and drained. But the one I use is Forsight in a blue can, that is shown on the first Google link. I just use the small can because it makes the soup thick and I don't want to overpower the soup just make it tasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 184093
    no i meant what else do you put in with your sweet potato?

I haven't tried sweet potato in there, but I do roasted butternut squash, blue cheese and fresh sage

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast