Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitten/cat help please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know how I can stop my kitten/cat from eating wood? She eats whicker baskets, all the cork off the cork board, now she's started on my wardrobe :( Bites off big chunks and eats it.... Spraying her with water doesn't work, she loves water, she has a shower with me every day and plays in the washing up bowl and sink. She basically eats most things, wallpaper, Christmas decorations, paper. And yes we do feed her :(

She'll be getting the op soon. So she hasn't been outside yet. We paly with her but she's just so norty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some bitter apple and spray it on the wood that she's chewing. Another option is negative re-inforcement, every time she chews on the wrong things, then throw a can of pebbles on the floor. Not at her, but so that it makes a noise. She'll eventually associate it with a bad noise and stop doing it. It's quite important when doing this with dogs that the dog doesn't see it actually leave your hands as they will then associate it with you which will ruin their trust. So I assume the same goes for cats.

Another thing would be to get her somewhere 'good' to scratch, like a cat post and offer positive re-inforcement when she plays with this, in the form of a titbit or something. :) The main key with animal behaviour is to be consistent and agree within your household on ONE action that is associated with good things and one associated with bad things, and also the rules that the cat has to follow. It's no good if you or your DH turns a blind eye but your DD doesn't allow her to do it, and vice versa.

Good luck :)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooh I will try all those things, she does have two scratching posts but it is the eating of stuff we can't stop. Where can I get bitter apple spray from please, have not heard of it so not seen it anywhere. We can do the pebble thing easily enough and will try that too. Thanks Josh X

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get it from chemists or you can also get pet-specific stuff like this;
    BITTER APPLE Liquid 8OZ (PUMP) - CheapPetProducts.Net

Another thing I forgot to ask is... how old is she? she may well be teething!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    If she is a kitten, it does sound like teething.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    If she is teething and you do use the apple spray. Give her something that she can chew. It's important for her to be chewing.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    She is 7 months old and her big teef are BIG!

Post Thanks / Like
    Won't eating all those things hurt her? Not that that is stopping her clearly, but it can't be good for a little kitten to be eating hunks of wood!

Josh, I really love the way you are able to help with the many pet matters. I once had a wonderful book on training (dogs). I've managed to not only loose the book, but the author's name. The title was something like, "How to Train Your Dog," so that is NO help! :(

It used much positive reinforcement and the principles in it really did work beautifully. It was as you say, a matter of being consistent.

I like the idea of the loud pebbles in a can, but it really would require some care be taken so the pet doesn't break trust. Quite smart our pets, for the most part...

At any rate, all that to say, Helly I hope you are able to help your kitteh! :D

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitley sounds like teething. I'd still break her of the habit of chewing but be sure that she has something good too chew on. The pain will be immense for her otherwise :(

Thank you Tink I often think that animal behavior is so often a case of thinking how that animal would think. It's easier to put into words than to do it in practice but for the most part positive and negative re-enforcement works
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Josh, I do worry Tink about what is going into her belly :( For the most part I am able to get after her, but she is so quiet when she's doing stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast