Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow Day

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 184563
    Goodness, you have some snow there Josh! The torts eyes freeze? That sounds awful!

I'm with you Mairead! Brit those never are real snowflakes!
    It is :( It results in blindness and obviously this can be extremely difficult for a tortoise as they find it particularly hard to eat without being able to see. Hand feeding is often necessary for many months of it's life before it can eat independently. Worse still, if the whole tort stays below a certain temp for a while their blood crystalises and its basically a slow painful death for them Thank god I use the fridge method!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have another question Josh. I went into a local garden centre just before Christmas and they had some Hermanns for sale. Once again I left a strong comment about feeding them brocolli. :mad: but...shouldn't they have been hibernating?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 184594
    I have another question Josh. I went into a local garden centre just before Christmas and they had some Hermanns for sale. Once again I left a strong comment about feeding them brocolli. :mad: but...shouldn't they have been hibernating?
    Yes, Hermanns do hibernate at this time, but the garden centre probably says "Don't hibernate until X amount of years old", which is basically another load of tosh It's seriously old (30 odd years outdated) information that is dangerous. When they wake from hibernation a sugary liquid runs through their liver which is basically a detox. Tortoises that aren't hibernated for a number of years often have a fatty build up on their liver through not being hibernated. Very sad. I'd like to know who goes and stops all tortoises under 'X' amount of years from hibernating!

Seriously Dawn, nothing that pet shops and garden centres tell people about them shocks me anymore. They come out with some truly terrible stuff, and it's as though some of them make it up as they go along
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I did point out to them that they were selling a tort care book that said NEVER FEED THEM BROCOLLI and they were feeding them just that but the 16 year old sales assistant just stared at me blankly.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the real misery, isn't it? When they are doing something wrong, and it's pointed out, and nothing changes.

Couldn't your RSPCA (or whatever it is there) get involved? I mean if they are feeding them improperly... among other incorrect things, is that not a matter of animal welfare?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice pics mate - its times like this I wish I still had a DSLR that could take 'normal pics' but since I had the glass changed on the front of the sensor not iven a customised white balance produces the same results I was getting before.

Can't believe I have become such a photography nerd having never taken a photo in my life in the last 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 184625
    I did point out to them that they were selling a tort care book that said NEVER FEED THEM BROCOLLI and they were feeding them just that but the 16 year old sales assistant just stared at me blankly.
    It's ridiculous. If they can't have staff that are trained to deal with Animals, then those animals should not be on sale for that day. End of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 184631
    That's the real misery, isn't it? When they are doing something wrong, and it's pointed out, and nothing changes.

Couldn't your RSPCA (or whatever it is there) get involved? I mean if they are feeding them improperly... among other incorrect things, is that not a matter of animal welfare?
    The RSPCA are utterly useless. At the end of the day they are a charity and don't have much legal power. The only time they can step in is if the 'basic needs' of an animal are not met, which means they have enough space to turn around, they have water, and they are fed.

They are a charity extremely against keeping reptiles in the UK and they don't seem to care about the large number of hobbyist keepers and breeders that are knowledgeable about the animals they keep. Time and time again various reptile societies have offered them training which they have refused. I'm going to stop now as I could rant forever about Animals and the supposed 'prevention of cruelty' done by the RSPCA.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my goodness, those snowflakes are the reasons why I want a macro lens. Awesome!

Great photos Josh!

We are to have more snow tonight and tomorrow (8-10 inches).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12