Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snow everywhere UK - be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Met Office has the whole of Britain in the orange zone now which mean be prepared for more severe weather so if you're down to your last toilet roll you'd better have a contingency plan. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Just spoke to Mum in Hampshire and they have had BIG snow -some poor people stuck in cars for 14 hours or more on the motorways - not fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    See? That's the scary stuff. That's when people start being put in real danger. :(

Is the UK not well prepared to move/handle snow? Snowplows, salt, that sort of thing, I mean.

I don't know much about your general climate, but it seems as though snow is fairly unusual, or is that not the actual case?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Its sounds pathetic when you put it in terms of how much we get compared with everyone else like most of the US/russia/canada and other countries on similar latitudes but

1. we have an archaeic transport infrastructure that barely copes at the best of times any slight diruption has a domino knock on effect

2. we rarely get snow in this country especially in the south so we are simply not ready for it when it does hit ( this is the worst for 30 years)

3. to put these things in place would cost thousands apon thousands and if someone did invest we wouldn't have any snow for another 30 years

4. Most of our cars are light small cars that are not suitable for snow driving - I no of nobody who has snow tyres or chains and TBH the roads are torn up enough without anyone using them

Post Thanks / Like
    Where we live we rarely get snow so to invest in a fleet of snow ploughs to have them used once every 5 years is just false economy. Half the population moan like crazy that the country grinds to a halt and the other half of the population get out and enjoy the snow while it lasts. I'm in the latter group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sounds more like our southern states that aren't prepared for it. It would not make sense to invest if it rarely happens though. All you can do is enjoy staying home!!! Bake something to make the house smell good!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    unless you have to be at work and driving around - then its not so nice - if I was on holiday i'd be loving it

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a gingerbread latte before :) I finally got the hang of this french press

My college is the ONLY one who hasn't told people whether or not they are shut tomorrow. We have to check the website at 7am tomorrow. Why should we have to get up early to check when everyone else has a lie in?! :@
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    :dozey:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 184615
    How much snow do you all have? Ithas been non-stop here too, but in NY we kind of just roll with it We have more than 3 1/2 feet now and still have 3 more days before we are due to get a break. It's funny here you can live a few miles away and get widle different amounts of snow. Deb good luck with your vacation plans you must be getting excited! Tink, be careful driving please!!
    I was going to say the same thing It has been snowing non-stop since Saturday night. We clear the snow and by the next morning you wouldn't even know we touched it. I really do need to get out and take some pictures.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast